RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Wacom Bamboo Electronic Tablet and Pen

Old 07-06-2010, 11:53 AM

Re: Wacom Bamboo Electronic Tablet and Pen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagLady View Post
Ciao Boneappetit,

You'll have so much fun with your new Wacom tablet! :-) Heretic gave you some nice advice... I can't use a mouse for anything, therefore have gone through countless nibs and need to replace the drawing surface...

If I'm not mistaking, when a Wacom tablet is installed, the Photoshop default brush setting automatically changes to pen pressure only for "shape dynamics" in the brush palette. To change this setting or make other adjustments, open the brush palette (F5 key).

SHAPE DYNAMICS - If pen pressure is selected from the drop down menu (under size jitter), the size of your stroke will change as you apply pressure.

OTHER DYNAMICS - Here you can select pen pressure for opacity and/or flow of the brush from the drop down menus.

Experiment and see what works best for you.

Brushes will revert to their default settings after use. If you'd like to save a brush with the new settings, just click on the new brush icon at the very bottom of the brush palette. A new brush will be created and added to your list of brushes for future use.

As far as the actual Wacom settings go, I'd say start off with the default settings and change things to your liking (and personalize) through experimentation.

Have fun!
Thank you so much guys. I appreciate your advice. I'm getting in love with this thing, (not using the mouse either). Just combining the tablet with the keyboard in order to let the nip rest. This is so cool, not planning to go back to the mouse either. hehe... In fact, check out my latest works Bag Lady, I think I'm doing better now.

http://boneappetit.deviantart.com/#/d2tcjke
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2010, 10:29 PM

i got mine for $60 on sale and I will never go back to a mouse for retouching!

It takes a while to get used to and i still swap over to the the mouse for basic functions that doesnt require 'painting'.

For things like masking and dodge/burn it's unbelievable.

An i suggest the smallest one. the larger you go, the more you'll have to move your arm. I find the smallest one the best. You wont need an intuos either because you wont need all the pressure sensitivity for retouching. GET IT!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2010, 08:57 AM

Thanx. Nice work Jackson.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneappetit View Post
Thank you so much guys. I appreciate your advice. I'm getting in love with this thing, (not using the mouse either). Just combining the tablet with the keyboard in order to let the nip rest. This is so cool, not planning to go back to the mouse either. hehe... In fact, check out my latest works Bag Lady, I think I'm doing better now.

http://boneappetit.deviantart.com/#/d2tcjke
Hello Boneappetit,

I'm happy to hear that you're loving your new Wacom... I had no doubts! ;-) I took a look at your latest work and would say that it looks a bit too smooth for me, but I think that you're practicing with the wrong images... I downloaded the same image (google search).... It's a 628 kb file that has jpg artifacts and smooth blotches to begin with.

I would suggest looking for a high res jpg file (like 3 MB), that when saved as a TIF, becomes a 36,4 MB file. Maybe there's some generous photographer here at RTP that would be willing to provide such a file! Keep up the good work and keep posting! :-)

Ciao!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagLady View Post
Hello Boneappetit,

I'm happy to hear that you're loving your new Wacom... I had no doubts! ;-) I took a look at your latest work and would say that it looks a bit too smooth for me, but I think that you're practicing with the wrong images... I downloaded the same image (google search).... It's a 628 kb file that has jpg artifacts and smooth blotches to begin with.

I would suggest looking for a high res jpg file (like 3 MB), that when saved as a TIF, becomes a 36,4 MB file. Maybe there's some generous photographer here at RTP that would be willing to provide such a file! Keep up the good work and keep posting! :-)

Ciao!
Hello BagLady:

I just keep learning. This is the 2nd time I heard about working with Tif files. Should I make my retouches using these files? Actually I don't even know how to deal with them, what I'm doing is; smaller the photos when they are too big, and I ask: Is this a bad practice? Another thing is; if I start working with a Tif file, do I keep working on it till it's finished and then save it as jpeg, so I can upload it? I tried to work with a Tif file some days ago, and I noticed that Photoshop works different while working with the file, is this normal? I'm sorry for asking you so many things, I guess I still have a lot to learn. Thanx a lot for your advice. By the way, do you have a site where I can see your work?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2010, 08:34 AM

..... My first Wacom was a Graphire; after the first day of using it for retouching I couldn't look back.

My friends have the Bamboo, and I've used it, and it's lovely.

I loved my Wacom tablets so much, I upgraded to a Cintiq in the last couple years.

You really can't go wrong with a Wacom tablet; even the lower ends are 500 times better than any mouse for the precision and control you can get.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Hello BagLady:

I just keep learning. This is the 2nd time I heard about working with Tif files. Should I make my retouches using these files?
If possible, you should be working with TIF files.

I couldn't figure out how to multi quote your message, so I will answer one question at a time....
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Actually I don't even know how to deal with them, what I'm doing is; smaller the photos when they are too big, and I ask: Is this a bad practice?
Yes, this is bad practice. You should work on the full size image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Another thing is; if I start working with a Tif file, do I keep working on it till it's finished and then save it as jpeg, so I can upload it?
Yes and no. Work on the image in TIF until it's finished and save it as a TIF (with layers). Make a copy of your TIF, flatten image, and then save the copy as a jpg for uploading. It's nice to have your original TIF files (with layers) because you might want to change something, or simply see your progress in the future. I look back at my first retouches and have a good laugh
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I tried to work with a Tif file some days ago, and I noticed that Photoshop works different while working with the file, is this normal?
You didn't explain what's different, so I can only guess...
If you're working with a 16 bit TIF (instead of an 8 bit TIF) you will have fewer options (like some filters). TIF files (especially in 16 bit mode) will become quite large when working with many layers and might slow things down a bit.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware