RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Wacom Bamboo Electronic Tablet and Pen

Old 03-21-2008, 07:21 PM

Wacom Bamboo Electronic Tablet and Pen

I tried replying to an old thread about Wacom Tablet's, but it was so old, I couldn't do it! So here's a new thread about this topic...

I'm thinking about buying a Wacom Tablet for learning smudge painting.

Circuit City has a "Wacom Bamboo Electronic Tablet and Pen" right now for $69.99. Since I'm a newbie, stay at home mom, doing this as a hobby and for friends, and since money is definitely an issue, will this be an okay purchase? Or will I regret it?

Specs:

• 5.8" x 3.7" active area
• Pressure sensitive
• Battery-free pen
• Precise control
• Ergonomic design
• PC or Mac

Thanks!!
Heidi
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2008, 07:33 PM

Re: Wacom Bamboo Electronic Tablet and Pen

wacom makes nice products, i haven't used that model but you can read the reviews on amazon.com...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2008, 07:34 PM

Thanks! Yes, I was just looking at that. It got 5 stars on a variety of websites...so I think I may go for it...until I can afford to upgrade...one day...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2008, 10:48 PM

Even though it is an entry level unit you will be delighted. The difference between using a pen and a mouse is like night and day. Enjoy...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2008, 10:50 PM

Hey Heidi. I've been using a 3.5" X 5" Wacom everyday for the last 5 years. Once you use a tablet for Photoshop you will never go back to using a mouse. I paid $100 for mine and it's been worth every penny. I like the small size. Your tablet should come with Corel Essentials Painter 3 and some other software as a bonus. Well worth buying.

Joe
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2010, 12:00 AM

Hi: I just bought a Wacom Pen tablet, and would like to know more or less because I know one doesn't treat all portraits the same way, the settings on retouching a fashion or beauty portrait when you are dodging and burning, I mean the opacity etc. or any other setting from the tablet itself. Would like to hear the feedback(s) from someone who's more experienced using a Wacom tablet.
Thanx
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2010, 08:24 AM

been using a tablet for 10+years, from the most expensive high end with 2048 pressure points to the ones with 512, they all are worth using, as long as you take advantage of the features like pressure sensitivity, if you don't use these than you might as well stick to a mouse. I NEVER WILL GO BACK TO A MOUSE for digital retouching. One tip though, use the supplied mouse when doing regular computer stuff like surfing the internet of using word processing software, you will save the pen nibs and the drawing surface.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
been using a tablet for 10+years, from the most expensive high end with 2048 pressure points to the ones with 512, they all are worth using, as long as you take advantage of the features like pressure sensitivity, if you don't use these than you might as well stick to a mouse. I NEVER WILL GO BACK TO A MOUSE for digital retouching. One tip though, use the supplied mouse when doing regular computer stuff like surfing the internet of using word processing software, you will save the pen nibs and the drawing surface.
Thanx for the cool advise.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2010, 10:23 AM

Ciao Boneappetit,

You'll have so much fun with your new Wacom tablet! :-) Heretic gave you some nice advice... I can't use a mouse for anything, therefore have gone through countless nibs and need to replace the drawing surface...

If I'm not mistaking, when a Wacom tablet is installed, the Photoshop default brush setting automatically changes to pen pressure only for "shape dynamics" in the brush palette. To change this setting or make other adjustments, open the brush palette (F5 key).

SHAPE DYNAMICS - If pen pressure is selected from the drop down menu (under size jitter), the size of your stroke will change as you apply pressure.

OTHER DYNAMICS - Here you can select pen pressure for opacity and/or flow of the brush from the drop down menus.

Experiment and see what works best for you.

Brushes will revert to their default settings after use. If you'd like to save a brush with the new settings, just click on the new brush icon at the very bottom of the brush palette. A new brush will be created and added to your list of brushes for future use.

As far as the actual Wacom settings go, I'd say start off with the default settings and change things to your liking (and personalize) through experimentation.

Have fun!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2010, 10:35 AM

good advice. I always have a test session where i crank the settings from one side to the other, completely extreme settings just to see what they can do, then save the ones i like, you will be amazed at what a little experimentation will come up with. GO CRAZY with it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware