Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Don't buy the Epson 2000p!!

Old 04-26-2002, 05:57 AM
Just read this, if it does everything it says it looks like it may be my next big purchase either late this year or early next year.

So far I am really happy with my Epson 870, but there is a lot of things on this new one that really are attractive.

I can relate to those comments regarding jumping into the latest greatest new equipment. I was an early adaptor when the DSS satelite dishes first came out. Shelled out close to 700 bones for 1 receiver, another 450 for a second room receiver. I saw a comercial yesterday where Direct TV is offering 2 recievers and dish installed for $50.00 with a $49.00 rebate (ouch). I swore I would never be the first on the block ever again...

Well I may be breaking my promise! - Carl
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2002, 08:50 AM
I wrote to Royce Blair (editor of Inkjet News) and asked him to please comment on the metamerism issue when he's able to talk more about the 2200. Here's his reply:

I can talk about that right now. Some Metamerism is still there. But very little. Most is gone, which is the reason why they can say that it can do good B/W printing now (using all 7 inks). The 2nd black (light black) is the ink that does the trick.

I'll give you other info on May 1. -Royce

Can't wait!!

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2002, 10:50 AM
Thumbs down

Danny - Don't thank me, thank "Inkjet News"!

Jeanie - Thanks for the info!

I dug up some more info from a site in the UK.

Interesting highlights -

- Firewire connection
- Paper roll holder AND cutter
- much quicker printing times than the 2000p
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2002, 07:00 PM
From an excellent email list I subscribe to:

"I often get requests from people who want to know what kind of computer printer they should get for "permanent" color printing.

The best printer was the Epson 2000, making use of pigments instead of dyes. A bit expensive and glacially slow, it could take 12 minutes to produce a print 20x25 cm in size. It also had other problems, such as inks that suffered from metamerism. Epson is introducing the next generation, the seven-colour 2200, which seems much improved, and features, at long last, black and white printing to boot. See the links below:

One has to be careful when reading "archival" claims as accelerated fading tests are more of an art than a science. Some "archival" prints have been known to turn orange in a matter of weeks in the presence of high levels of ozone and monochrome black prints made by another pigment printer, the 4-color Epson C-80, may look more like cyanotypes than black and white prints we printed on certain papers. I don't know what pigment they use for black, but it is certainly not carbon black, which is extremely permanent.

The most permanent prints,imo, are carbon prints produced by dichromated colloid systems, like the carbon transfer and Fresson, as they make use, as a rule, of carbon black. I have many in my collection going back to the 1860s in excellent condition. Selenium and sepia toned silver gelatin prints on fiber-base support tend to be quite permanent and are much easier and cheaper to produce.

Luis Nadeau
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware