RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Getting Blocked from Retouch Pro

Old 06-12-2008, 07:26 PM

Getting Blocked from Retouch Pro

Hi Everyone:
Doug, yes our Doug suggested I post this question and concern , to see if anyone can help me. I am always asked for a password to get into Retouch Pro. I have had to request a new password many many times. Sometimes the password sent will not work after a few uses. Doug thought I might be blocking a Cookie??

Believe me I do not understand what that means nor why this is happening!! And , I certainly do not understand what is happening. I can sometimes get to the site and read the posts, however I can not post nor can I get any of the images posted as it always takes me to the page to log in or to get a new password. I quit coming here a long time ago because of this problem and my frustration with it. Also when I make a new password it does not take and never works. Can someone help with this problem. Thanks Nebgranny
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2008, 08:15 PM

Re: Getting Blocked from Retouch Pro

I wondered where you had been. Sorry you are having problems Neb

What browser are you using? Mac or PC?

Hope we can help you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2008, 11:01 PM

Smile Re: Getting Blocked from Retouch Pro

Hi Swampy:
I am using IE. And I have a PC. I hope someone can help with this problem. Thanks Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2008, 11:06 PM

Did you try to access this site from a different computer or a network?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2008, 11:29 PM

neb, try this:

in i.e. go to 'tools' and pick 'internet options'. on the tabs along the top, pick 'security' and then click on 'trusted sites' and about a third of the way down, pick 'sites'. then, go to the blank line that says 'add' at the end of it. type in: http://www.retouchpro.com and hit the 'add' button. this shld add retouchpro into your 'trusted sites' list. if it doesnt, then go back and repeat. if it does, close all the windows and close the browser, as well. close it completely. then, load it back up again and check all the steps above to make sure retouchpro is still in your trusted sites. close those windows again, but not the browser and go to retouchpro.

now, BEFORE you type in your password and so on, hit the refresh button of the browser. this shld flush out any old 'cookies' for the site. cookies, by the way, are very simple little pieces of code for tracking you on a particular site and for keeping track of information about you and that sort of thing. sites with passwords often use these cookies to 'remember' you and your login information. some of these are temporary and some permanent and your browser stores a copy of these. they can be manually flushed, manually blocked and always or temporarily allowed. they are relatively harmless, so dont worry too much about being infected by a virus or something. cookies cant affect anything 'above' the cookie level in your computer and that cookie level is very low.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2008, 01:21 PM

Not a good idea to add any site into the trusted site area of IE, not because I think RetouchPro is an unsafe site (far from it), but because any site can be compromised and by reducing the security of your browser you leave a vulnerability which can be exploited.

Better to do this.

Open IE, click Tools > Internet Options > Privacy now click the Sites button.

A box will pop up called Per site privacy actions, in the Address of web site: box type http://www.retouchpro.com then click the Allow button, then click OK.

Exit out allowing anything if prompted.

This will allow RetouchPro to set cookies, no matter what other settings you may have in IE.

Cookies are simply encrypted text files, as such they cannot contain code, so cannot be used to infect you.

Some can be read by more than one web site (usually members of the same company), and as such can be used as a means to track your movements between these sites, but this is about as "malicious" as they can get. They really are no threat to your security.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2008, 12:27 AM

go with what gary suggested. he knows this stuff better than i do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2008, 06:54 AM

i agree that this sounds like a cookie problem overall and the replies given are in line with my thoughts.

but i wanted to also note (since you say you sometimes got in and could not post) that the site will log you out after a certain amount of inactivity. it isn't real obvious that have been logged out and this could be an additional problem that you've encountered. for example, once you are in and looking around if you click a link that opens a new window to read something and stay there too long than when you get back and say you would then try to upload something you could be blocked and asked for a password/login because of being logged out due to inactivity.

so once your login issues are resoved, watch that you do not then encounter this which could confuse the login issue for you.

doreen
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2008, 09:03 AM

Hi Neb, Glad to see you are back and able to at least talk with us. I was wanting to make sure you got the angle wing brushes I sent you so I could resend if I need to.

Also, now that you are having problems with RP I would like bring this to Doug's attention and also ask all the other members if they have noticed any problems themselves with RP website. I'd say that like in the last two weeks or so I have found that it takes a long time, maybe two minutes for RP to load and the same thing for each page within the website as well. It used to load instantly. I am religous about cleaning my machine and checked all my setting without success. I then realized that it was happening on all of my machines and on both platforms. I then went to my Associated Press office and had the same problem. I was sure though that if anyone else was having the problem they would say so but nobody ever did so now I am.
Thanks,

c
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2008, 12:12 AM

sweetlight,

no big problems here with loading the site or getting in or going page to page. sure, it lags a few seconds every now and then, but nothing like what you're experiencing. sounds like a problem in your general area or perhaps with your isp if your home and assoc press connection are using the same isp.

you might try flushing all your caches, but from you said, i doubt this will help.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware