Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Canon EOS 300D Digital Rebel

Old 06-18-2008, 11:59 PM
Canon EOS 300D Digital Rebel

Hey! Ive kinda been a lurker for about the last year, but i don't have a camera nice enough to get too serious into this. Im hoping this will change. The problem is is that i don't have much money to spend on this at the moment. Currently i have a sony cybershot 1.8 mp camera i shelled out $250 for back when they were new, so anything would be an upgrade.

Anyways, my question is about a friend who is upgradeing their Canon EOS 300D Digital Rebel to a newer Rebel. They offered to sell me this one for $300. I realize that it is pretty old, and at 6.3 mp for an slr, its kinda pathetic, but it is an slr. I would really like to get more serious than just a point and shoot camera, but i just cant tell if it is worth it. It comes with an 18-55mm lens and a case for it as well as a memory card, but would i be better off just buying a kodak easy share or something with a higher mp rating, better iso, battery life, display, ..... well... basically better everything for the same price, or would it be better to buy an slr..... a bad one... but still an slr......

Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Re: Canon EOS 300D Digital Rebel

ask your friend if you can try it out for a month. and, do some eye-shopping on dpreview, ebay and any other place you can think of to get some comparisons. i've found that a lot of camera sellers tend to over-price their old 'babys'
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2008, 02:01 PM

A quick search on POTN revealed that the current price for the 300D+kit lens is around $275-300.

I'd advise against going with a P.S. camera (like easy share).
The Photoshop cameras advertise crazy high ISO (1600-3200) but the reality is the noise is atrocious and even worse the details look like a watercolor painting because of the heavy in camera NR. The Rebel 300D will give you better performance even from the stock kit lens you are getting with it (the 18-55).

I sold my 10D (the big brother of the Rebel 300 with which they share a lot in common, sensor, AF, etc.) for $275 with the Canon grip.

Last edited by MrAlexajlex; 07-08-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2008, 02:25 PM

You should save a bit more money and look in to getting a d400 or i think the 450 is out now nice compact slr and 10 to 12 mp they are about 300 pounds so i guess they should be around 600 bucks in the US. Do not buy the d300 it is very out dated and you will find that you want an up grade very soon after getting it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2008, 06:40 AM

The upgrade from the Canon Rebel is the XT. The upgrade from the XT is the XTI. The upgrade from the XTI is the XSI. The rebel you are talking about is still a pretty good camera and will do whatever you want it to do with few exceptions. However, I agree with the poster immediately above me in that you should save a bit more and go with an upgrade. Rebels are the low end of the Canon market, and while good cameras, do have a more limited lifespan than others. Just for that fact alone, I would go for a newer model.

And on the touchy side, the best way to ruin a friendship or make ugly waves in a family is to buy from or loan to people that you are close to. There are way too many examples of friendships gone awry when money enters the scene. Buy from someone you feel you have recourse with should something go wrong.

Enough said,
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2008, 07:27 AM

I'll chime in again.

I've owned quite a bit of Canon gear and right now have an XTi (400D) and a 40D.

You can't really be fixed on a body.

The minute you get the body you start wanting some glass.

That is where the real money goes (and will go).

One thing I've learned is that there is no replacement for skill.

I can tell you that when I went from the 10D (which is basically what they built the Rebel 300D from just made it more plasticky and a bit slower with the write capabilities) I did not see a leap in my photography work.

I tell you one thing about Canon (and it is no secret). The Rebels and xxD (10D,20D,30D,40D) are very similar.

Take the 400D(Xti) and the 30D.
Same AF system
Same sensor.
30D bigger buffer to write faster to the CF card.
30D rugged body.
30D has ISO3200 (which is just EV+1 and you can underexpose -1EV on the XTi and bring it in Photoshop and get the same result.

So when you look at it the Rebels and xxDs are really close to each other.

This is no surprise. It gets done in every industry (Lexus ES - based on Toyota Camry using same frame, engine (the V6 one), transmission).

As far as luciengordon I think you ment to say 300D is very outdated instead of D300 (excellent Nikon DSLR and 1 step away from the D3)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware