RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

What's the best DSLR, in your opinion?

Old 07-08-2008, 10:43 AM

Re: What's the best DSLR, in your opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Spears View Post
When your largest output size is a small jpeg it doesn't really matter what camera or glass you use. (Within reason). When you output 20x24 prints and larger is when you will see a significant difference.
When I look at Rarindra's work I am impressed with his overall finished product (his editing techniques, light knowledge). One thing I know is that it is his skill and not the camera that makes the pics.

To put it another way I know that if you gave him a 39MP Blad he can create the same fantastic shots.

If I gave someone that lacked talent, skill, eye for color the same 39MP Blad the images would still suck.

Then again I'm pretty sure everyone that does any kind of large print work uses GenuineFractals.

I've done dozens of 20"x30" from the 10D which is 6MP came out just fine.

I've seen 60" x 48" @ 150-233dpi from an XTi and they looked fantastic at 5 feet (which one would agree is a pretty reasonable viewing distance for something this size).

I have a friend that did 8'x10' prints for a trade show using Genuine Fractals.

GenuineFractals is quite popular with people that do large prints (talking 20"x30" and higher) and billboards.

Between USM and other local contrast techniques when properly applied you can go a long way.

The DSLR images come out a bit soft because of the anti-aliasing filter that sits in front of the sensor (to prevent moire issues).

It all depends on your workflow but for large prints most use some form of sharpening.

It is not always about the MP size it is also about pixel density.

I just got word that Phil Askey over at dpreview.com has added a pixel density field to their camera reviews. This is a great indicator that the MP number is only part of the equation and the density is an even more important point.

Last edited by MrAlexajlex; 07-08-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
disregard this foolish statement.
Why? What is wrong with that statement? Do you not think a cannon D1 is the best DSLR on the market? EOS-1Ds Mark IIIt has 21 mp witch is almost as good as a medium format digital back is it not? and about 10 grand cheeper.

Try not to be such a prick!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciengordon View Post
Why? What is wrong with that statement? Do you not think a cannon D1 is the best DSLR on the market? EOS-1Ds Mark IIIt has 21 mp witch is almost as good as a medium format digital back is it not? and about 10 grand cheeper.

Try not to be such a prick!
No. You are wrong. You made an ignorant statement and I called you out on it. With your reply you made more ignorant statements. No DSLR is the same as a digital back. I have no wish to educate you, do it yourself, but as it stands you're an idiot.

RE: GF and big prints.

Genuine Fractals does phuck all different than PSs' interpolation, same as other similar programs.

What looks good enlarged and how enlarged is very subjective and image, etc. dependent
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2008, 12:43 PM

If you did not have your head stuck up your ass so far you would go back a re read what i wrote and you would see that i said almost! (in no way did i say better or the same) and then also you would see that this is topic about DSLR not digital backs and the closest you can get in terms of quality from a DSLR to a digital back is the cannon d1

Again try not to be such a prick!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2008, 12:58 PM

It's not almost. STFU already. You graduated with a BA in photography from where Take my money Photography School.co.uk ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2008, 01:10 PM

I am sorry but are you trying to say that all! digital backs are of better quality than the D1 M3t? because if you are i well maybe it is you who need to go back to school.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2008, 01:19 PM

Well lets talk about price if you spend 6,000.00 pounds! On a top of the range out this year D1 or spend the same amount on a digital back what would give you the best quality?

Also witch type of camera do you think the majority of professional photographers use a DSLR or a Digital back?

Also by the way i graduated from the 3rd most respected photography degree in the Uk .
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2008, 02:09 PM

You comparing apples to oranges, 22 mega pixel count yes, but not the sensor and photosites physical size, do you actually have personal expirience with those toys... I can tell you even polaraoid instant print from my 4x5 blows my lovely Canon 5D in terms of details in some specific task...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlexajlex View Post
When I look at Rarindra's work I am impressed with his overall finished product (his editing techniques, light knowledge). One thing I know is that it is his skill and not the camera that makes the pics.

To put it another way I know that if you gave him a 39MP Blad he can create the same fantastic shots.

If I gave someone that lacked talent, skill, eye for color the same 39MP Blad the images would still suck.

Then again I'm pretty sure everyone that does any kind of large print work uses GenuineFractals.

I've done dozens of 20"x30" from the 10D which is 6MP came out just fine.

I've seen 60" x 48" @ 150-233dpi from an XTi and they looked fantastic at 5 feet (which one would agree is a pretty reasonable viewing distance for something this size).

I have a friend that did 8'x10' prints for a trade show using Genuine Fractals.

GenuineFractals is quite popular with people that do large prints (talking 20"x30" and higher) and billboards.

Between USM and other local contrast techniques when properly applied you can go a long way.

The DSLR images come out a bit soft because of the anti-aliasing filter that sits in front of the sensor (to prevent moire issues).

It all depends on your workflow but for large prints most use some form of sharpening.

It is not always about the MP size it is also about pixel density.

I just got word that Phil Askey over at dpreview.com has added a pixel density field to their camera reviews. This is a great indicator that the MP number is only part of the equation and the density is an even more important point.
Way, way too many points to comment or debate about. You had mentioned Rarindra Prakarsa who's largest output image is around 700 px. At that size it wouldn't make a lot of sense to get a high end camera.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Spears View Post
Way, way too many points to comment or debate about. You had mentioned Rarindra Prakarsa who's largest output image is around 700 px. At that size it wouldn't make a lot of sense to get a high end camera.
Is his skill in Photoshop, composition, light knowledge (the list goes on) limited by the fact that Photo.net (and pretty much every forum) limits the images you can upload to 700px or 1024px?

He shoots with an XTi which is 10MP and I'm pretty sure all his files are edited at 10MP but then resized for his web gallery due to space constraints.

His skills stand on their own as top shelf (backed up by the numerous comments on his portfolio) regardless if he is editing a postage stamp image or a 39MP one.

The point is that both Rarindra and I have an XTi.
The last time I checked however, my pics were nowhere near his quality level.

He is a master of chiaroscuro, composition, Photoshop editing.
These traits are his and independent of what camer he uses, or what the size of his pics are when resized for the web.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware