RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

What's the best DSLR, in your opinion?

Old 07-08-2008, 04:44 PM

Re: What's the best DSLR, in your opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlexajlex View Post
Is his skill in Photoshop, composition, light knowledge (the list goes on) limited by the fact that Photo.net (and pretty much every forum) limits the images you can upload to 700px or 1024px?

He shoots with an XTi which is 10MP and I'm pretty sure all his files are edited at 10MP but then resized for his web gallery due to space constraints.

His skills stand on their own as top shelf (backed up by the numerous comments on his portfolio) regardless if he is editing a postage stamp image or a 39MP one.

The point is that both Rarindra and I have an XTi.
The last time I checked however, my pics were nowhere near his quality level.

He is a master of chiaroscuro, composition, Photoshop editing.
These traits are his and independent of what camer he uses, or what the size of his pics are when resized for the web.
Actually were getting off the subject of the thread. I left a comment on " Amazing portfolio". You could put this comment over there. I double dog dare you too!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Spears View Post
Actually were getting off the subject of the thread. I left a comment on " Amazing portfolio". You could put this comment over there. I double dog dare you too!

You're wish is my command.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2008, 08:19 PM

Hi guys, I've looked over everyones comments and looked into your suggestions. Ant your right, I looked at backs and I thought that they were more wide spread than they are. I only found a few makes and they are too pricey haveing you still by camera and glass.
I'm thinking the canon 5d 12.8 mp looks good at around $1800 usd.
The other option is the Nikon d300 12.3 at around $1600.

Sounds as though the 12 mp range is the best I can do without taking another $6000 leap. Sounds like I'd be OK with one of these and then just put another $1500 into a nice lens.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2008, 08:42 PM

I'd suggest take in consideration what you going to do, if it's all around camera, or you going shoot sports, wild life , weddings, etc. Then the take a look on glass line up, price performance availability. If doing any of those professionally you can lease the system
that will suit you.
Best regards,
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2008, 07:35 AM

I'm on the same line with DiamondsDr47.

Theses days people have to a lot of different things to make money (studio work, weddings, portraits, fashion, sports, etc.)

This is the main reason why I went with a 1.6 crop system and ultimately with the 40D.

My lens lineup allows me to cover pretty much anything from weddings to indoor basketball with the 85 1.8:

85 1.8 | 50 1.8 | Sigma 20 1.8 | Tamron 17-50 2.8

The only other lens that would complete this perfect lineup would be a 70-200 2.8IS (which I rent on a per assignment basis). The other one would be a 50 1.4 to replace the nifty fifty.
This of course are more items that I want rather than absolutely need since there is a bit of overlap in my lineup and I also use my feet.

40D has 6.5fps RAW burst rate for sports, enhanced AF with special optimizations for lenses that are 2.8 or faster 14bit capabilities. LiveView (which I consider a bit of a gimmick and keep off most of the time; at the same time I can't argue with it if you do macro work and sell prints or if you use it's 10x zoom to make sure the focus is perfect; it's also great for getting really low angle shots with the camera on the ground which would previously require you to lay on the ground or try to just previsualize it and hope you got it).

The 5d viewfinder is larger over the 40D but the 40D is quite nice and they've improved it over past versions (brighter and bigger).

There is no question that the 5D is a nice camera but at the same time when most people talk about it the always say that they "like the image out of the camera".

This always puzzled me since you can match the 5D look in Photoshop on any camera with a bit of work.

Price wise there is no question that you can get nearly 2 40Ds for the price of 1 5D (2 x 40D = $1900 1 x 5D = $1800 so you just have to add $100).

From a business sense the 5D would have to perform nearly 200% better otherwise it would take you twice as long to amortize your investment (in other words you'd be working twice as hard for the same amount of profit).

With the new Nikon D700 out Canon is probably very close to a 5DMKII so the price on the original may be coming down.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware