RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

What's the best DSLR, in your opinion?

Old 07-02-2008, 03:17 PM

Thumbs up What's the best DSLR, in your opinion?

Hi all.
I canít imagine that this hasnít been done before, but if it has I suppose itís a subject that needs to be revisited once a year.

Iím wondering if some of the pro photographers would share their preferences for high end cameras.
Let me qualify that, I donít have $37,000 usd to spend so the top end Hasselblad is out, way out.

I donít really have a preference for name brands. I used a Nikon and got mad at it because at the time, Photoshop didnít play well with their raw format. Iím over that now and would be willing to give that relationship another try.

I'm also curious to get your feedback on digital backs. I don't have a camera at this point so it's not like I have a bunch of equipment that I could salvage by purchasing a back. So... do backs still make sence or should I focus on the camera?

Thank you for your input.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2008, 03:47 PM

Re: What's the best DSLR, in your opinion?

Focus on the glass. DSLR bodies are disposable. You said yourself that you can't afford a digital back. The low end of that would be the Mamiya ZD back and even though the price is much lower than other backs, so is the quality. Again with the medium format db, your glass is going to cost more than most of your bodies depending on exactly where you go. Top end is easy with the MK III DS, but I doubt that's what you want to hear either - especially considering that the chip outresolves 90% of the glass available to it. If you like the Nikon, get yourself a D3 or D300 or something along those lines that you think you can afford. D700 just announced, maybe look into that. Forget less than full frame chip bodies if you are going to get lenses. This is such an open ended question and more relevant is how you will utilize a camera and how much you can afford. What will work for you and fall in line with your budget?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2008, 05:44 PM

My rule of thumb on what to spend on a camera; Approximately double what your car cost. I get sick of hearing people whine about not being able to afford a good camera, then get in their NEW gas hog SUV. Trade it in on a mid ninety's Honda and get a Cannon MK 3 1ds.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2008, 08:09 PM

Like Ant said...invest in glass. Cameras bodies tend to change every 18 months. Recent Nikon review have been great with D3 and D300. A little more pricey for bodies and lenses vs Canon. I'm interested the upgrade to the 5D if it ever materializes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2008, 10:51 AM

Yes, invest in glass. It was the best advice before digital, and it's the best advice after digital.

That said, there is no best DSLR, no matter how much you want there to be one. I purchased a Nikon D3 a few months ago. It's a great camera in so many ways that I won't repeat what you can find all over the web. A large number of publications and web sites have called it the best DSLR ever. I like it a whole lot. I bought a lot of really good glass with it, and the total price tag is something I'm almost embarrassed to admit. But the D3 still has some issues that annoy me. And the one that really irritates me is that the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Lens ($1,800) noticeably vignettes when wide open on the D3 ($5,000). That's just wrong. On the other hand, I've gotten some incredible pictures out of the D3.

But every time I look at the resulting images, which are damn good, I still miss my old medium format film camera and the quality of images it took. I switched to digital because of problems in getting medium format processed (I can no longer do it myself due to health issues) in any reasonable cost and time frame. So now I lust after something like the Leaf AFi. And if I ever get that, then I'll probably want something else.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfly1 View Post
Hi all.
I canít imagine that this hasnít been done before, but if it has I suppose itís a subject that needs to be revisited once a year.

Iím wondering if some of the pro photographers would share their preferences for high end cameras.
Let me qualify that, I donít have $37,000 usd to spend so the top end Hasselblad is out, way out.

I donít really have a preference for name brands. I used a Nikon and got mad at it because at the time, Photoshop didnít play well with their raw format. Iím over that now and would be willing to give that relationship another try.

I'm also curious to get your feedback on digital backs. I don't have a camera at this point so it's not like I have a bunch of equipment that I could salvage by purchasing a back. So... do backs still make sence or should I focus on the camera?

Thank you for your input.
buy a cannon D1 the only Dslr that gives you almost as good quality as a medium format digital back
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2008, 03:35 PM

Hi, first you have to know your subject, what kind of work you do or intended to do, sports or still life or etc etc and go from there. I still have my LF-Sinar F for a reason.
If you were a cab driver you would buy a cab right!? Also not cheap but it's the pro tool to generate your income... Also the mf film is still there, and it's great!
Best regards,
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciengordon View Post
buy a cannon D1 the only Dslr that gives you almost as good quality as a medium format digital back
disregard this foolish statement.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2008, 07:55 AM

Having a great camera is very nice but I think the end product is ultimately what you will be judged on.

This is my list of what is important when it comes to making a great picture.

1)Light
2)Composition
3)Editing skills
4)Lens
5)Camera

If you are looking for a camera realize that you are more likely buying into the system (lenses, etc.) since the bodies get upgraded fairly quickly within a few years.

For Sports (if you are running a business where return on investment is key):
40D, great AF, 6.5fps in RAW, great glass.
If money is not an issue 1DMKIII.

Of course buying into a camera system will have a direct impact on your lens lineup (40D 1.6x vs 5D full frame). Your lenses would have to be geared up towards that aspect.

Canon has a good variety of glasss (85 1.8, 1.2 for portraits, 17-55 2.8 IS (for 1.6 bodies like the 40d), 70-200 2.8IS; 24L, 16-35L for best for 5D, etc.

Nikon has very good gear. The D3 is perhaps one of the greatest (technically) DSLRs right now. The high ISO performance is truly out of this world and at this time Canon cannot touch it (talking 3200-6400ISO+).
Yes the 40D, 1D(s)MKIII can do 3200 and some 6400ISO but the Nikon D3 is cleaner once you pass 3200.

The reality is that recently when I sold my 10D and got the 40D I did not see any improvement in my pic quality.
I still think it was $950 well spent but not in the way most people would think.

It was $950 well spent because it made me become more driven to improve my pics and stop relying on the body.

I have an XTi+grip as my backup and for most situations it does just fine.

Rarindra shoots with an XTi but when he is done with the processing his pics are truly masterpieces.

http://photo.net/photos/rarindra

I don't think I could get the same pics as he does even though I have an XTi as well.

Why?

His light knowledge is a lot better.
His light zone transition is really good.
He shoots at the right time of the day.
His editing skills are a lot better.

I may have the same camera body but yet I can't get the same product out (yet).

I show pics to some people and some say "What a great camera you must have!!!".
What they don't understand is that it is all in the processing.
I bet if I showed them the RAW files they would say that my camera sucked!!

Last edited by MrAlexajlex; 07-08-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlexajlex View Post

Rarindra shoots with an XTi but when he is done with the processing his pics are truly masterpieces.

http://photo.net/photos/rarindra
When your largest output size is a small jpeg it doesn't really matter what camera or glass you use. (Within reason). When you output 20x24 prints and larger is when you will see a significant difference.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware