RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Tripods: consumer choice overload

Old 07-08-2008, 01:45 PM

Question Tripods: consumer choice overload

I downloaded the Bogen/Manfrodo tripod catalog and am totally confused by all the options. I'd like something lightweight so I can lug it around easily, but don't want to spend a grand on it. Anyone have a suggestion/experience with a particular model?

Thanks,

Will
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2008, 03:22 PM

Re: Tripods: consumer choice overload

if you don't mind a slightly lower quality level try one from this place:

http://www.amvona.com/?category_id=c...=shop/category
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2008, 03:35 PM

Thanks.

That just gives me more choices! ;-)

Will

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2008, 05:50 PM

Some time ago when I first started in photography (the days of wood tripods and large cameras that used sheet film) the guy I worked for had a test for new tripods.

He was a smaller man, maybe 5' 7" or so and maybe 160 lbs. He would extend the new tripod to its highest level. Then he would get a chair and place it next to the tripod. Then he would climb up on the chair and jump from it to the top of the tripod. If it held up to that it was good enough for us to use.

Lightweight? No. Strong? Yes. Trustworthy? Yes. Builders of strong muscles in the photographer? Yes. Combine all those muscles and the super duper tripod and one could stand their ground to any beast of prey that came your way.

I wish you luck in your search, there are just too many choices for such a simple machine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2008, 10:36 PM

Some things you might want to consider before you purchase (not necessarily in order of importance or consideration):

1. What use will you put the tripod to most? Will the tripod stand up to the use and abuse.
2. Will you be hiking or carrying it for long distances? How much does it weigh?
3. What weight will it hold, an 8 ounce camera or an 11 pounder?
4. Can the center column be removed/repositioned for lower to the ground shooting?
5. Are the legs able to extend outward so the tripod can be placed very close to the ground?
6. Cost. It is way too easy to spend a tremendous amount of money on a tripod. Be sure it will do what you want.
7. How heavy is the tripod itself. There are newer tripods that weigh less but are very strong. But is the cost worth it?
8. Check out the rating/reviews of the tripod you pick no matter what brand. Other users can tell you quickly whether company hype is just that or whether company claims are real.
9. What kind of tripod head will you be putting on the tripod itself. For me that was as much of a decision as the tripod itself.

With that said, the tripod I inherited saw lots of abuse before it ever came to me. Since it has been in my possession, I've had it in creek beds, used it as a hiking stick, dropped it on a stone walkway and smashed one of the knobs (which as since been replaced). This rugged tripod won't fold all the way shut any longer. I could probably use it as a club and do some real damage if the need arose. It does the job I need it for and does it well. Replacement cost would be somewhere around $700.

A good place to find photographer reviews of camera equipment as well as tripods is http://www.fredmiranda.com The people on that forum are not shy about giving their opinions.

Good luck,

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2008, 10:24 AM

Janet,

Thanks for the advice. I can answer most of the questions you posed.

I usually buy online, but I wonder if there's a store anywhere at which I could handle the goods before I buy. I live near Philadelphia.

Cheers,

Will
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware