RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Running dual monitors

Old 07-30-2008, 11:41 AM

Re: Running dual monitors

Tommy,

I feel as though I am taking advantage of you but since I've gone this far I'm going to go one more time.

I bought a DVI-A Female to HDD/VGA Male adapter from Radio Shack. As you said $15.00.

I assume that I insert the adapter into the DVI slot and then connect my 2nd monitor to the other end. I will then have 2 monitors connected to the card. I then go to Control Panel, Display settings and set my 2nd monitor. Correct????

If this works I owe you.

Thanks again.

George
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2008, 04:06 PM

Correct. And that is where most people get confused, because each graphic card manufacturer has a different extension (app) in the Settings > Advanced tab.

The Settings tab is where you should see two monitors, each outlined in blue, one big, one little. You click one at a time, starting with the one you consider to be primary, or the one you want the initial Windows log on to display on.

- click the 1st, then check the box "Use this device as the primary monitor". Again, this is the display the Windows log on and most applications will open in first.

- click the 2nd, then check the box "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor". This will allow you to stretch applications onto this monitor, move them there, and for well behaved app's like Photoshop, you can put toolbars on one and your image space on the other.

Then, click on "Apply". Both displays may blink, then work as you expect.

You do have to train most applications on how to behave, including Window's Explorer, your email, etc. Open them, resize their window the way you like it, close it, then reopen it. Most work well. A few older ones never will. Even the smaller dialog boxes that open within applications need training, i.e. each dialog in PS will remember where you want it to open.

If you feel brave, you can click on the "Advanced" button, then the "ATI" tab and look at their advanced settings. You may find some useful. I recommend you do not tweak the color settings unless you know what you're doing. They do have a "reset to factory defaults" though.

Hopefully, this will get you there. If not, let us know.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2008, 09:04 PM

Thanks again Tommy. Will give it a go in the next few days and will let you know the the outcome.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2008, 02:10 PM

Tommy,

I don't know what you do for a living but maybe you should apply for the techical supervisor's job at Dell. Two technicians told me that this card could not run two monitors with different images. Obviously they were 100% wrong and you were corrent. When I initially tried to insert the adaptor I couldn't. It took me a while to discover that I was given the wrong adaptor. When I got the correct one I was hooked up in just a few minutes. Getting both monitors to work took no time at all.

So thanks again for your time, interest and expertise. Really appreciated. This won't make me a better Photoshopper but at least I have plenty of room on the screen.

George
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2008, 06:17 PM

You're welcome !

I seem to spend a lot of time helping friends & family with this sort of thing.

Good luck with Photoshop and hope to see some of your work.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware