RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

LAcie vs Apple vs Eizo

Old 07-22-2008, 08:12 PM

Question LAcie vs Apple vs Eizo

Hi there,

This is my first post. I'm a photographer and not yet great experienced retoucher, so I don't really know all the jargon that comes with the correct screen .I 've had a Lacie 19" and an Apple 20" cinema display which has both been fine.

I'm now looking at either buying a new 23 " Apple, or the Lacie 324 or the Eizo sx2461w

Their all in the samish price bracket although the apple is a lot cheaper. So far I've not had serious problems with my Apple but I really want to get my workflow more colour correct and apparantly they darken to the edges ... my lMacbook screen does that a bit...

An extra question would be which Colour calibrator with which screen. The X-rite Eye One, The Blue Eye ( boxed with the Lacie) or the Colour Munki all in one.

I' really need some background on what to look for in screens. Al the 92% ntsc and 12 lut and OEM and other jargon just goes over my head. I need a screen for editing photos which can be used as a close as possible colour match to any output whether it be RGB inkjet PRints or tradional cmyk proofs for magazines.

I'd like to be able to tell a client :" This, what you see on-screen is what you will see in YOUR magazine with the type of paper you are using with the type of settings you are using." This is a big question - so if someone could just send me in a direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards

Dawie Verwey
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2008, 08:53 PM

Re: LAcie vs Apple vs Eizo

the apple 23" is no longer recommended by Kodak for their MVP systems, the Eizos are nice monitors but they aren't cheap..if your apple 20 incher isn't that old you can calibrate it quite nicely with the x-rite DTP94 and BasicColor software...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2008, 11:07 PM

Dawie,
I have the LaCie 324, and I got tell ya, for the what it cost... I'm loving it! From what I understand you can have several profiles for different lighting conditions. I've only made one profile so it's a little different during day or night. Holding prints up I see no difference to the image on screen.
I don't know what might newly be available from Eizos but when I was shopping their cheapest model was around $5000.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2008, 11:11 PM

where did you get those prices from?..we have this model at work at it's very nice, but you could get 2 upper end Lacies for the price:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...px?edc=1278325
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2008, 11:32 PM

I am quite fond of my Eizo ColorEdge CG241W, which I believe went for about $2.4K.

As to your statement: I'd like to be able to tell a client :" This, what you see on-screen is what you will see in YOUR magazine with the type of paper you are using with the type of settings you are using."

If you tell anyone this you will be lying, albeit not intentionally. The state of the art of color management cannot presume to make such claims, especially since I doubt you would want to try to color manage to any number of other companies presses and papers. Even if you did, an onscreen representation would still be far from a printed press page. There are just way too many variables at work here.

Or perhaps I'm just too didactic for what you have in mind. I take color very seriously and insist on technical accuracy, but there is certainly room for "this looks good on screen and it will also look good when you print it." But the way you phrased it here is completely out of bounds with regards to the current state of the art.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2008, 04:40 AM

Hey THX for all the input. I'm Not looking at the Eizo CG range but the SX range, thats why I'm asking how it compares to the Lacie. Maybe their cheaper versions are not that good

I'd love the CG range but their jst out of reach at this point
Heres a link http://shop.colourconfidence.com/pro...960&xSec=10312

Also , which contrast ratio and luminance. there are cheap monitors ith 1000:1 ratios and 400 cdm luminance while some of the expensive Eizos are 400:1 and 200cdm
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2008, 04:43 AM

Dsgoen, your right about my statement. It a bit to "final", but I would like to be as close as possible and not have a nasty surprise and for example see my work in a magazine and all the shadows are green... this has happened. But then that could also be their repro department which does me the"favour" of further tweaking my images after I have corrected them...

Does this ever happen to you ? Anyone?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2008, 05:05 AM

A thought, if I cant match it to all my clients specific paper, second prize would be to have a printer that I can output to, which can simulate different conditions - US Web coated SWOP , or Euroscale or wahtever with their different Gray Gamma and Dot Gains...

Would the epson R1900 or R2880 do?

I really lack the technical knowledge to do this right. Where can i learn the basics of Colour Management. Any good books? Ebooks? Websites.

Thx anyway so far for all the answers.

Regards

D
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2008, 08:43 PM

FlatArt,
Much of the proofing you speak of is done as soft proofs prior to hard proofs. This is why obtaining the profiles for the various printers and paper stock is important.... it's all about numerical conversion and having a well calibrated monitor.

Photoshop can simulate very accurately through soft proofing what the final image "should" look like. However, without a calibrated monitor, it is pretty meaningless. Most professionals will recalibrate their monitor monthly. Hence, while you can spend many times more on a higher end monitor, it is wasted if not calibrated. Yes, they should stay in calibration better, but you simply cannot risk it. So, a mid-range monitor, if calibrated monthly should be pretty darn close to a better one... provided the lighting conditions are correct, etc, etc.

One way to feel better about your choice and ability to speak the speak to your clients is to read. One of the best books out there is:
Real World Color Management (Second Edition), via PeachPit Press, written by Bruce Fracier, Chris Murphy and Fred Bunting. It covers much more than the average person can ever remember... so read it twice.
Here's a glimpse:
Real World Color Management - table of contents

To quote Peachpit Press, "Bruce Fraser, Peachpit's dear friend and colleague, passed away December 16, 2006. The principal author of the best-selling Real World series of books about Adobe Photoshop and the definitive works Real World Color Management, Real World Camera Raw, and his recently published Real World Image Sharpening, Bruce enlightened end users and experts worldwide on the intricacies of color publishing and imaging though his many lectures, product review and magazine columns. He was the expert’s expert and collaborated with virtually every manufacturer and developer of color imaging products from the earliest days (including Adobe Systems, Inc., Apple Computer, Inc., Epson America, Inc., Hewlett-Packard Company, Microsoft Corporation, and X-Rite Inc.).

For more than 20 years Bruce wielded enormous influence in the evolution of digital color management, and became an industry legend by teaching color and effective means for its use in digital workflow. Since the early years, he played an important consulting role in the development of Adobe Photoshop, including during that programs’ earliest incarnation when it was known as BarneyScan XP. He contributed to the introduction of the very first spectrophotometer targeting the desktop world – the COLORTRON – a product that pointed the way to current instruments deemed essential to successful color reproduction from the desktop.

On December 15, the day before his passing, Bruce received the first National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) Lifetime Achievement Award. In 2005, Bruce was also recognized at Photoshop World when he was inducted into the Photoshop Hall of Fame."
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2008, 02:20 AM

Thank you very much. This is very helpful.

Regards

Dawie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware