Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Scanning 3D objects.......

Old 08-19-2008, 01:03 PM
Scanning 3D objects.......

Hello all..... so, I have been doing a lot of work with incorperating scanned 3D objects and photography.. I was using an Epson 3200 to do this whist I was at Uni, but Im no longer there.

That particular scanner isnt for sale anymore and I was just wondering if anyone had any knowlege of which scanners are best for 3D things?

I have a cannon scanner at the moment but it has literally no depth of field which means I cant use it for what I want...........there is never any info about depth of field when im looking at scanners, but I have heard Epson is the way to go....

Any ideas? I also dont have a lot to spend on one but i reckon I could strech to £400-£500..

I have also attached an example of the type of work that I have been doing. It is supposed to be viewed really really big but you will get the idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anthology 11.jpg (63.6 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2008, 01:47 AM
Re: Scanning 3D objects.......

Epson 3170 Perfection Photo is what I use "for everything." Everything has included: eggplant, apple and a few other 3D objects. I don't think you're going to get "great" depth from any flatbed scanner though. I got the original idea for scanning fruit (the example was a strawberry) from a UK-based Photoshop magazine.

Now you got me interested again - I left off just about the time I started to understand that it's the level & depth of illumination "on" the scanned object which could be enhanced (possibly with auxiliarylighting) to provide more depth.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware