RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Need help buying glass

Old 08-21-2008, 09:22 PM

Help buying 40D glass

I will be getting a 40D soon!!
I've decided against the sketchy kits on eBay. So I'm thinking of buying the body only and then 1 maybe 2 lenses either local or online. I think I could convince my wife in letting me get away with spending about $1300. This includes a case and memory.
The photos I usually take are indoor of my daughter and outdoor portraits....so family photos. But I also have a planted aquarium which I take macro photos of the different flora and fauna. We are also avid gardeners and wildlife lovers. So this will also be used for shots of insects, plants and at wildlife parks, living museums and botanical centers.
I was looking at the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II. For a nice all around home lens.
But it's getting confusing on which other lens to get for the wider frame shots. Nothing intense just a nice versatile lens for wide landscape shots and a decent zoom.

Also, I thought the ND and Polarization filters were all pretty much the same but now I'm seeing different sizes. 72mm, 55mm, etc. What's the difference? I'd like to get a few ND (.3, .6, .9).

I guess I really need a guide? It's just really getting confusing on the lenses as I have ZERO experience with this portion of photography. I'm spreading my wings from a long time P&S user, shooting in all modes but Auto.

Any help would be awesome!
Thank you!

Last edited by Rohape; 08-21-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2008, 10:08 PM

Re: Need help buying glass

Since you are buying the 40D, you want to ask your question at the Canon Forum:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2008, 10:16 PM

Yeah, I'm waiting for their site to get back up. I have the same exact post waiting to go on the EF and EF-S Lenses threads. Just trying to get various opinions.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2008, 11:20 PM

One buys different sized filters to fit the end of the lens the filter goes on. Different lenses have different sizes.

Tell me why you are thinking about ND filters?

Kind of hard for me to tell from your post, but ND filters and Polarization filters are two different things with completely different uses.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2008, 11:33 PM

My thinking is probably way off because of all I've read, but ND are for bright situations when you want to use a slower shutter speed, or to keep a sky from blowing out. Now that I type this, the one I would want for skies would be a graduated ND, correct?
The GND (don't know if that's common abbreviation, but it's easier ) are because I work on boats and some of my pics have tons of sky in them.
The polarization is just mainly for lens protection.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2008, 12:41 AM

After some more reading I think I'll just get the kit lens and the 50mm.
Some filters to learn around with since they're cheap.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2008, 09:43 AM

Smile Re: Need help buying glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohape View Post
My thinking is probably way off because of all I've read, but ND are for bright situations when you want to use a slower shutter speed, or to keep a sky from blowing out. Now that I type this, the one I would want for skies would be a graduated ND, correct?
The GND (don't know if that's common abbreviation, but it's easier ) are because I work on boats and some of my pics have tons of sky in them.
The polarization is just mainly for lens protection.
A straight ND filter will allow you to use a different exposure, they where useful with film cameras but now with a digital camera where you can vary the f stop, shutter speed AND the ISO setting from image to image, their usefulness has dropped a bunch.

Graduated ND filters are indeed useful for evening out the exposure between sky and ground, but one can do the same thing with two exposures and layers in PS. One can get a much more creative approach in PS while the use of the filter on your camera will somewhat limit the way you compose the subject as you have to take into consideration where the filter falls off.

Polarizing filters are not just used for lens protection, usually one uses either UV or Haze filters for that. Polarizing filters will limit the flare found in sky light and they allow you to increase the contrast between the open sky and the clouds in a very bright sky. The also have the effect of lowering your exposure by up to a stop or so.

I hope that you are taking a very close look at just exactly you want your new camera to do for you before you start buying a lot of lenses for it. One can spend a lot of money on them and then find that for whatever reason they do not do what you want. Give us some examples of the work you want to do and I and I am sure others will inundate you with our recommendations, the best part being that they are free (and maybe worth the same amount )
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2008, 12:07 PM

I'll look at the filters again. Since I work on boats it's hard to get two of the same shots due to the movement of the vessel...but the filter's aren't my biggest thing. They're cheap enough. I was mainly concerned with sticky fingers, 3yr old Taz daughter.

My biggest thing was getting 1 all around decent lens (hence the kit lens), and then the 50mm.
I'm looking at the 50mm for two reasons. 1: It's cheap. (I know, I'll probably get what I paid for. But it's a start and I can get my wife to bite off on that more than a $200 lens). 2: I like taking macro photos, plus from what I've read it resembles more of what the eye sees. The 50mm will probably be my main lens for a while. My other thought was a Sigma lens, something like 17-55mm (just threw that number out, thought I had seen that number, hope you know what I mean ).

I plan to buy lenses as my experience progresses and I can get a better feel for what I may use more often.

Thank you for the help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2008, 05:31 PM

Take a look at the cannon 50mm compact macro lens. It seems to do a good job with the macro. It is not particularly fast (F2.5) but thats good enough for most work.

Try B&H photo for current prices. And if you are a member of NAPP I think you get free shipping on it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2008, 10:25 PM

you mentioned 'wildlife' and wildlife parks' in your first post. so, you're going to need a telephoto lens also, preferably a zoom rather than a fixed length. i havent bought lenses in a long while, so i have no specific brands or models to suggest, but i will suggest that if you're getting that 50mm, then you'll want to start from there and work outwards in lengths. something like a zoom 80-205mm is a pretty good general range for something after that 50mm, but if you're going to do wild animals, go longer yet, like 400mm +. the longer, the better. animals are skittish, shy, jumpy and tend to not sit still very well, especially if they see you creeping up to them to get that special shot. i recently shot some fawns with my carry-around, cheap digital i wear on my belt, and i sure wish i'd had my 400mm that day

also, regarding your macro choices, dont forget the extension tubes and lens reverser. these are cheap by comparison to the lenses and can help you get in even closer.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware