RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Why your next Photoshop computer should be a Mac

Old 08-26-2008, 02:10 PM

Re: Why your next Photoshop computer should be a M

I've been using a Mac for 2 years now and would NEVER go back! With Windows, I always had problems with Photoshop and had to reformat my computer twice!!! Never again... Not even interested in having a dual OS. I would highly recommend Mac for all artists. I've only had a problems with my dvd drives (iMac and MacBook Pro).
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2008, 09:08 PM

I had to work up a banner for our business, 2 ft x 6 ft. I never was able to generate a PDF; if I nudged an element system would lock up temporarily. Took 2 days on my Windows XP. Wife argues with me - she took a local Photoshop course and the teacher told class the "there really isn't much difference anymore".
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtrodden View Post
I had to work up a banner for our business, 2 ft x 6 ft. I never was able to generate a PDF; if I nudged an element system would lock up temporarily. Took 2 days on my Windows XP. Wife argues with me - she took a local Photoshop course and the teacher told class the "there really isn't much difference anymore".
those that can't do, teach...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2008, 09:58 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

When you buy a Mac, you also get a PC.

I use OS-X mainly but boot up Windows on the side if I need to run a Windows-only plug-in or app. Then I put Windows away ;-).

Simple, efficient and works great!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2008, 10:06 PM

Color management in Windows has always been a bit cumbersome. However, it was achieved almost equally between Mac and Windows' OS's until Mac OS Panther (10.3.x). It's just that Mac ensured everything was set correctly from the factory, whereas Windows was pretty much a crap shoot.

Color management is a generic term for ColorSync in the Mac and for ICM in Windows. Both are OS level color management schemes. However, color management is generally controlled at three levels: the OS, the drivers and the applications. Photoshop users are used to controlling color through their application, i.e. PS, Bridge or Lightroom. Most users either don't want to or don't like to delve into the OS or driver level color management. This is a big advantage of the Mac, ensuring everything is correct for artists out of the box.

Since most Mac users are probably at OS X Panther (10.3.x), it isn't worth writing about how OS 9 worked. But, it was not quite up to what you might have thought. Windows XP even maintained some advantage. But, with the release of OS X Panther, Apple changed color management substantially. Windows attempts to catch up under Vista, but does such a poor job that it needs to fix it very soon or stand to lose users to Mac.

ColorSync under Panther is now at version 4.0. It is intended to be an Always On color management scheme - essentially you cannot turn it off. This should eventually make color management easier, but actually makes it a bit more difficult for applications right now because you never know who is in control. However, if all output files have embedded profiles, ColorSync behaves fine. It is only when output is not tagged that ColorSync can make the wrong assumptions. This can be especially troublesome for printing. ( Untagged RGB's are converted to Generic RGB; untagged CMYK's remain untagged; untagged gray scales are converted to Generic Gray. ) So, you would think the printer driver ultimately controls the output. Wrong. Colorsync does; it converts all output, no matter what the application level color management asks for. It is just that color managed applications like Photoshop don't tag their printer output files. So, ColorSync sees them as Generic RGB, tags them as Generic RGB, uses Generic RGB as the destination profile and thus performs a null conversion. So, the output is essentially not changed for color managed applications.

Just for your information, the two color profiles provided by Mac are Generic RGB and Generic CMYK. (They also changed under Panther 10.3.x & above.) Now, Generic RGB no longer represents the old Apple RGB monitor standard. It is based on P33 phosphors, 6500K white point and 1.8 gamma, which results in a very nice presentation on screen or print. Generic CMYK is based on the Apple Color Laser. This does not represent anything close to a press CMYK profile. It is more of a SWOP. So, you will not get equivalent prints on your printer using it as a destination profile. They will look washed out. Use the US Web Coated SWOP v2 output profile instead.

Mac users should get familiar with and use the ColorSync Utility to ensure their Mac is color managed correctly. Just don't go changing anything until you know what is used for. Otherwise, you may jeopardize your color management. ( Windows users will have to download the Color Profile control panel applet to get similar functionality > Color Profile Applet )
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2008, 08:47 AM

I'll speak to Font Handling and the Wacom issues.

Although the Mac "Font Book" is included in the OS, it has its limitations for pre-press applications on a professional level. In other words, it's fine for the average user, but if you are dealing hundreds (even thousands) of fonts, you will be best served using one of the 3rd party font management utilities. Font Explorer (free), Suitcase or Font Agent Pro. Most of these programs have the ability to recognize fonts used in a previously created document and load them automatically when they have not been included in a "start up" set of fonts. Most "pros" maintain two or more sets of fonts. For example, I have a set of fonts that I use every day ("startup set") that always get loaded when I boot the computer. I have another set of fonts, managed by Font Agent Pro, that I call "Customer Fonts". This set of fonts is "built" as I work. If a customer has a specific font face in their logo and it's the only time I need that font, I add that font to my "Customer Fonts" set and activate it through FAP.

Wacom... I have been told by Wacom, that the tablet uses extensive USB bus resources to relay the millions of combinations of tilt, pressure, direction, bearing, rotation etc. coming from the pen/brush. Wacom highly recommends that the tablet be connected directly to a USB port and not through a USB hub, even a powered hub. They find that due to limited USB ports on many computers users often need more ports so they add a hub and usually connect the Wacom to the hub and their mouse, keyboard, printer, etc into the computer ports and the Wacom into the hub. They tell me that many Wacom issues can be solved by just switching something like the keyboard to the hub and use the vacated port for the Wacom.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware