RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

How much more does a high-end Mac cost?

Old 09-01-2008, 02:11 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Re: How much more does a high-end Mac cost?

I figured that was a typo ;-).
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2008, 06:09 PM

Oh, OK, but, you know, even then, geez, what is there left from 9 that's worthwhile......

But I'm to used to getting software, um, you know, gratis, if you know what I mean, so saving old stuff isn't too important.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2008, 06:18 PM

I think it was something about a $36,000 image setter and RIP that they can't get an OSX driver for. I'd say a $1,500 backup computer is cheaper than replacing the image setter for the time being.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
Oh, OK, but, you know, even then, geez, what is there left from 9 that's worthwhile......

But I'm to used to getting software, um, you know, gratis, if you know what I mean, so saving old stuff isn't too important.
there is a program called VectorPro that was used for vector colors on our RIP, but it never made it to OSX and only runs under 9..the company has since gone out of business and some of the old timers still want to use VP(sigh)...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2008, 08:00 AM

Well, if anyone want a sweet $1500 G3 that runs like a charm, call me up and you can kick the tires. Cash only.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2008, 07:19 PM

You can actually match up the mac pro's with the Dell and HP's worsktations and the Mac Pro comes a few hundred $ cheaper!. A friend of mine (also a hardcore pc guy) bought a new mac pro for that reason and uses windows on it mostly, running architect drafting software.

You can't get a true 1:1 matchup, the only difference being the videocard and sometimes the motherboard is a different intel model.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2008, 08:22 PM

the one arguement i dont see any remarks on here is, service. i dont care what type of machine it is, it's going to break at some point. now me, i almost always service my own pc's. in fact, i build my own machines, usually. so, set up and service is a consideration. and, with mac's closed architecture and high priced parts, i think this is an important consideration i'd like to see discussed here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2008, 09:04 PM

in over 20 years of use i have yet to have a mac die an early death and how is the architecure closed?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2008, 08:02 AM

I have to jump on that argument, Craig. Like pixelzombie, in 20+ years of using Macs, I've had one power supply die and one bad optical drive that needed replacing. Both were covered under Apple Care's extended warrenty and replaced at no charge. Apple even sent a repairman 100+ miles to my _home_ to replace the optical drive. I always purchase the Apple Care plan on my business machines and usually upgrade the CPU about the time the 3 year care plan expires. I'm 100 miles from the nearest Certified Apple Service Dealer so I've always maintained my own machines and the 800 number to Apple Care includes issues with both hardware and OS software. I've replaced RAM, swapped out hard drive (gotta say this is a literal "snap" in the MacPros) with my own chubby fingers.

I'm not sure what you mean by "closed architecture", but when I switched to Mac 20 years ago I only had one piece of hardware that I lost and that was a b/w scanner with a hard wired Atari specific SCSI connector. Color scanners had come down in price and replacing the old black/white scanner had definite advantages so no big deal. I also managed to port over my entire Adobe Postscript Font library from PC to Mac font format along with hundreds of thousands of pieces of EPS clip art that was previously in DOS preview format.

My computer is on 12-16 hours a day every day (except when I go to California to visit my kid..LOL) Hardware and OS failures have never been a problem nor an expense. I plug new things in and they just work. I read here on RTP and other forums I frequent about PC users who have hard drive crashes (In 30+ years of computing I've never lost a hard drive, but always have current backup "just in case"), DLL and driver issues, OS incompatibility issues (Vista), virus issues. I have to wonder why they put up with that stuff.

If anything, since switching to the Intel chip, Apple is probably the most _open_ architecture of all platforms. Run OSX, Linux or run XP/Vista, choose the software that does the job you need it to do. Apple has always coexisted with the PC world. Can't say the same for PC machines and Microsoft.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2008, 11:16 PM

ok, dont eat me alive, all you mac folk. i realize you're rab...er, devoted and i'll try not to feed, er, offend you too much

closed architecture = http://www.google.com/search?q=close...x=&startPage=1

on talking with one mac salesman, i specifically asked about upgrading a mac system. i was told something along the lines of 'we recommend you dont ever open the box'. and, he was quite open about mac repairs costing more than pc repairs. i also inquired about buying 3rd party stuff and doing maintenance and upgrades myself. i was again told, 'just bring it in and we'll do it'. i had the distinct feeling if i opened a mac myself that i'd set off some boobytrap or send a remote signal to Steve Jobs or something

ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but the point is i got the distinct impression that macs cost more to repair (when they need it, which i'm not debating compared to a pc), and more to upgrade. and that one was limited to apple parts, which again were more expensive, and that 3rd party vendors either wouldnt work or would void any and all warranties.

now, i grant also that that was a while ago and i also grant that everything i just said is NOT first hand knowledge. it all came from other folks more familiar with macs vs pc's. so, please, no torches or pitchforks, please

also, please, take everything also as a question. is this or any of this true and if so, wouldnt that figure into all this comparison of costs?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware