RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

How much more does a high-end Mac cost?

Old 09-06-2008, 11:36 PM

Re: How much more does a high-end Mac cost?

yes it would figure into costs, but as i have said before it is well documented that macs are cheaper in the long run and this is taking into consideration every aspect of computer ownership...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2008, 08:29 AM

I think one reason Mac repairs "cost more" has to do with Apple's quality control. I know you can build/repair PC's a lot cheaper by purchasing low end hardware. Apple has some very specific quality specifications for the stuff they put into their machines. Ram has to meet the highest standards and lower quality Ram has known problems with the Mac architecture. Apple doesn't use off brands. bought in quantity on the cheap. Those "in the know" NEVER purchase additional Ram from Apple, because they know it is overpriced. Heck, Apple even provides printed instructions on how to add additional hard drives or Ram with computers that are _built_ to accept them.

As far as third party vendors... Apple has long had a policy that 3rd party vendors _must_ meet certain standards before they can display the OSX logo or promote a product as being Apple compatible. Sure, you can add a 3rd party off brand/cheap hard drive, for example, that has not been certified by Apple. It may or may not work, but _if_ it kills your machine or affects the overall performance, Apple will not honor warranty work so, buyer beware.

I know a lot of people say Mac users are fanatical. We are a cult. We _LOVE_ our Macs. There has to be a reason for this and I think it's because they all feel their overall computing experience is more satisfactory with a Mac. I can't tell you the number of "switcher's" messages I read day after day on other forums, where they come before the purchase with all kinds of "can I do this" questions. After the purchase and about of week of tweaking things to their liking and mastering the basic differences, they rave and comment that they'll "never go back to a PC" or "I wish I had done this sooner." This has always been the case, but even more so since Apple switched to the Intel chip and can run XP/Vista.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2008, 10:53 AM

In this industry every penny you spend is an investment and of course, time is money. It is not like you have a ton of overhead. So, go for the monster machine man! Apple usually has three options at a time in the towers to choose from. I usually go for the middle one and max it out with ram and hard drives. Put as much RAM in it as it will hold(go to ramjet.com not Apple for your RAM) and put two 1 terabyte hard drives in it. Set the hard drives up to mirror each other so you will never loose a file if one goes out. Go get you a big daddy Eizo monitor (and maybe a cheap second monitor if like to go dual) and get you a nice Epson printer (some models come with rips), monitor calibrator, a nice sized Lacie external hard drive and you are rocking man! Now you can smudge away at lighting speed. You are looking at around 7-8k. But you will make that back next month. Right? You know, things always start to pick up this time of year.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2008, 11:03 AM

Crikey, glad your not my Business Manager, Jagerman - I think you'd be looking at more than 8k $ for that for one thing
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2008, 05:49 PM

Yeah, the Eizo is, like, 5.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2008, 06:13 PM

"But you will make that back next month. Right?" - yeah sure I will, I'm filling out my lottery ticket. That will leave you with 3k left to buy a new mac Benny, and some Pretzels - good job we got our Business Manager on the case

Last edited by Markzebra; 09-07-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2008, 08:03 AM

Let's not tell him about the 1000 bucks it takes to feed the Epson with ink until we set up the shop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2008, 08:28 PM

ok, well thank you all for answering my questions. these questions, and my opinions, go way back to the very early days of macs. i've seen them, i've played with them here and there, but i've never owned one. i was a Commodore man. so, to me, pc's were a joke and macs were something complicated and expensive and didnt seem to have a lot of outside support. the Amiga was ahead of most machines back then, and certainly about 10 years ahead of the pc's. and Commodore had market share back then so there were a lot of third party vendors supplying cool hardware add-ons and there was a ton of software. macs back then didnt get a lot of support. so, when commodore died, i went to what 'everyone' had, a pc.

but over the years, i've watched macs get stronger and stronger relative to the pc and i put a LOT of that on the devotion and loyalty of the mac users. that speaks volumes to me right there. and i've watched macs expandtheir 'niche' and get ever more creative and take up the slack left by Commodore's demise.

so, thank you all that answered my questions. and forgive me for playing devil's advocate a bit here
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2008, 06:07 AM

Ah, Craig. Great story. I started with an Atari 800 and made my way up through all the ST iterations. There was a marvelous Mac emulator for the Atari that lead me toward switching to Macs when the Atari died, it was logical for me to go Macintosh since I had all the great Mac software (PageMaker, PhotoShop, Illustrator, FreeHand).
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2008, 11:52 PM

thanks, swampy

yes, i remember the ataris and the timex sniclairs and the texas instruments and the trash 80's i used to play on mainframes, is where i started. then the trash 80's (radio shack's TRS 80, 'lovingly' called the trash 80). but i got caught up in other things for years and didnt ever buy my own machine till the commodore 64's were out. from there i went Amiga 2000. i still have both of those i used to type my programs in from the various computer magazines. some were in BASIC and some in machine code. fun stuff
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware