Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

I don't know why people like Apple so much

Old 08-26-2008, 03:41 PM
I don't know why people like Apple so much

oh i forgot to mention. you can use GPU acceleration now thanks to NVDIA's CUDA plugin. That would help a lot.

I don't know why people like Apple so much. I have it, I'm not really impressed. Sure its nice that it has univ binary but it takes up twice the space. OS is simple and nice, but I find it too simple. What I do like about Apple, is the design and multi-touch. What I really hate is the quality and the price-benefit ratio. I like to think of Apple as an IKEA of the computer world, nice ideas, poor quality.

Anyone care to share why they like it better? *Please do consider Apple writes everything for their operating system whereas Microsoft is solely responsible for the Operating system itself and not the drivers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Re: I don't know why people like Apple so much

the OS doesn't get in the way of actually getting work done...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2008, 07:29 PM

i love the simplicity, nothing can get "too simple" for me in that area. i like to concetrate on the software, and that alone can be consuming with updates and all.

only thing i hate is my new iphone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2008, 07:31 AM

Dear l2jc,

I'm not sure how long you've been using your Mac, but just give it time. Suffice to say, the hype about Mac over PC has been brilliantly leveraged by Apple for marketing purposes which may lead initial users to assume the conversion will be life transforming. Well, this depends much on your detailed use of your machine. Here are a few reasons though:

1. Superior operating system - stability factor is important especially if you depend on it for a living.
2. Simplicity - search capabilities, general interface, logical organization factors
3. Features - this is somewhat personal as each system provides the user with tools that fit their style however considering the advantage that Apple commands with integrating the ability to use PC as well leaves little room for it's competition.
4. Forward thinking - if you watch the trends in the industry, you notice that windows is following the leader as they try to assimilate Apple with Vista and yet fall very short. Plus, the Apple Corp. continues to pioneer as technology opens it's door to the common user.

Those are just a few reasons I've found over the past 3 years that sum up the basic benefits. My girl actually codes on a PC and she loves it so each has it's advantage. The questions is, what fits you best. Hope this helps.

Last edited by mikeym; 08-27-2008 at 07:58 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2008, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by l2jc View Post
OS is simple and nice, but I find it too simple.
Unix based systems are 'too simple' for you?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2008, 07:56 AM

You are free to enter Terminal mode and modify the OS to your heart's content, but enter at your own risk. Unix knowledge is a must. :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-27-2008, 02:32 PM

I bought a Mac Pro quad processor box with operating system for $1000 less than a comparable box from Dell or HP. The Dell or HP would have also required buying a operating system license and the only Windows I would run that would provide equivalent security and performance in terms of RAM utilization (very important for image editing) is Windows Server 2003.

Vista would automatically cut the computers real world performance in half which is why two years after its release few corporations have even started to migrate users from XP and why if you buy a computer with Vista Business installed you have the option to "downgrade" it to XP Pro using the same Microsoft license.

If you need a computer for real work and want maximum productivity without having to deal with viruses, trojans, buggy DLL's and drivers, etc. as I do with my remaining Windows computers. I have USB devices that when plugged into many laptops will instantly crash the computer and generate the infamous "blue screen of depth" and a core dump. My second computer was a IBM PC running DOS 1.0 and I have dealt with every OS release since and there is no doubt in my mind that Windows anything is a kludge. The OS engineers at Microsoft have always had to insure that the applications side of the business had an edge over their competitors. There is so much special code to advantage Microsoft products from Office to Media Player that compromise both the performance and the integrity of the operating system as with all the VB macro code that can autoexecute malicious code from downloaded email without even opening the message.

Add in the cost for your time and the cost for spyware and anti-virus software and time on forums researching bugs and finding patches and the Apple computers become cheap by comparison.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2008, 11:23 AM

Hey, Ikea quality is pretty damn good. But let's not talk about the entire weekend I spent purchasing and then assembling a new chest. Jeez.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware