RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Looking for a quality scanner

Old 09-16-2008, 04:40 PM

Looking for a quality scanner

for some very old photos from my mother that i want to retouch and work on them, please let me know if you need more info, i will not use film or transparecies so this features are not needed.

Thanks in adv.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2008, 09:26 PM

Re: Looking for a quality scanner

thegt1,
That is a pretty broad question. Give us some more details to help limit the choices some.

Most Epson scanners are good and easily available in most stores. They have a range of prices. The Perfection series V700 and V750Pro are on the high end. You don't have to pay that much to get a good scanner from Epson. However, I have one of the 750Pro's and it performs flawlessly.
If you can stand to order one and wait, Microtek has an excellent reputation.

Other considerations are:
- do you plan to do any large scans, larger than 11x14?
- the software packaged with the scanner. Many packages are clumsy or difficult to understand. Ensure you like what comes with it by asking around.
- calibration. If you plan to do any critical color work, then you will want to calibrate it. Some nicer scanners come with targets and calibration software; others do not.

If you want to read up on scanning, click this link... ScanTips
Other scanner reviews... Scanners
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2008, 01:24 AM

Thanks tommyo for the reply i really don't have anything over 11 x 14 but color correction will be key ( most of this pics are really old and have a red cast ( trust me this a REAL understatement ) and once again thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2008, 06:04 AM

I had the same question and debated between the 700, the 750 and the nikon cool scan. I read a lot of reviews and none of the above scanners pleased everyone for the money one would need to spend. I ended up buying the CanoScan 8800F and so far have been pleased. There is more to getting a good scan than just hitting a button...still learning with regards to scanning as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2008, 11:32 AM

I use a good quality HP scanner, and have it calibrated with spyder, and I am very happy with it. But if your photos already have a red cast, then you will need to do color correction after you scan them in. So for this, you color correction will not be quite as crucial as if you were trying to accuratly scan the colors from a good original. I find it helpful to scan old photos at a high resolution, then lower the resolution after. This will help you to recover some of the more diffacult problems that you may encounter.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2008, 12:19 PM

You didn't mention what OS you are using. I'm on a Mac, and I've had nothing but problems using HP scanners with the Mac OS. I'm now using an Epson V750 Pro, and, like the previous posting, it is a superior scanner. It works with OSX without any issues. I use it on a daily basis, and I've had nothing but superb performance.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2008, 01:01 PM

Thanks all for the reply and the info i will be visiting my local fry's store to see what they have, but to be honest i have not make up my mind about which one to choose, so please keep educating and helping me on this matter.

Btw my os is windows xp home, one more thing please, tommyo talk about the software that comes with some of this scanner and i will like to know if there's one that's recomended above all others or just stick with the one that comes with the product.

If you guys need any more info just let me know, thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2008, 07:09 PM

If you decide to by the Epson 700 or 750 go to the Epson website. You can buy a refurbished scanner and save ~$200.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2008, 09:40 PM

thegt1,
Obviously, you get the one that comes with the box. So, enjoy it. It is almost always the manufacturers software. This can be good for those less knowledgeable about scanning, as the interface is more intuitive and less complicated. It frequently has manufacturer "tweaks" to fix bugs that only they know about.

However, if you shop around you can get a box bundled with a pretty nice upgrade. A nice scan engine often bundled is SilverFast Ai, which is much superior to any manufacturers software. It is also more complex and much less intuitive; not for the novice. It has many of the same features as Photoshop, from allowing you to make curves adjustments, Hue/Sat/Lum for individually sampled colors, right down to creating HDR's from scans. It is a well documented package with free upgrades for minor releases.

I'm sure there are others just as good. But, this SilverFast Ai is pretty common and well liked by many.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2008, 10:55 PM

guys thanks for the help i got the EPSON v500 and looking forward to work with it. thanks.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware