RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Yesterday my Mac crashed

Old 09-25-2008, 02:43 PM

Yesterday my Mac crashed

Hi guys! Yesterday the worsen case happened. May macbook crashes totally.

Well, what happened exactly...I don't know. The macbook suddenly didn't react any more so I had to shut it down pressing the power button.

I restarted the macbook, but it didn't boot any more. I saw the grey start image and the apple logo, but after 15 sec. the macbook rebootet again. I supposed the hard disk became corrupted. Fortunately I have a Time Machine Backup on a external hard drive.

First I tried to repair the hard disk with the disk utility tool and did Hardware tests ecc. to be sure that the hard drive was the problem...After 3h of testing and searching on the net, I decided to back up the system. I must admit I was a bit sceptic, but I hadn't another possibility.

The restoring of 140GB data from a usb 2.0 hard drive took 4h. Today morning the system was almost restored. Well, I miss all my Emails, and I haven't understand yet, if it was my fault.

I must say time machine works relative good but there are a few things I don't like...

1. You have to boot from the Install disc. I hadn't one here so it took me 3h to obtain it.

2. You can't access the files from a pc (with mac drive installed)-

3. There are a few other disadvantages you will find searching on google :P

I've read that also a few others had problems with their emails.

I decided to use Super Duper for the future. Very simple program, today i tried it and it convinces me more then the time machine. Now I have a real 1:1 copy of my system.

Of course you can also use both, do a search on google and you will find a bunch of information about. I don't know if that makes sense...

I just tried to boot from the external hard drive and it works flawless. Once you have started the system from the external hard drive you canrestore the whole data back to your disk. Btw. the programm costs aprox. 20$...Carbon Copy is probably also a good alternative, but I haven't tried it yet.

Morality of this whole thread? My backup saved my life :P
I hope everyone back up his data, I know a lot of guys who don't do it.

P.S. Yes, my english is still bad, if you find any horrible errors, write me pm
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2008, 02:55 PM

Re: Yesterday my Mac crashed

do you shut down your laptop at night?..if that's the case you aren't allowing the OS to run certain maintenance scripts which happen between 2 and 6 am..i would also recommend getting Diskwarrior as well as Mac HelpMate to help your system run efficiently:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19441

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/28430
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2008, 03:01 PM

Yes normally I shut it down. But I started restoring at 00.00 so I went to sleep.

Do you mean I should let the macbook on during the night??
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2008, 03:17 PM

yes, at least a couple of nights a week..there is a widget that shows you when the scripts were last run but i don't remember the name of it..i'll get the name of it later...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2008, 03:20 PM

ok, thx.... but how stupid is that?? The whole world is talking about energy saving and I have to let my mac running for the whole night so that it can run this few scripts? Yes, please send me a link or something, I'm really interested! Thx!

Ciao!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2008, 04:09 PM

You can get MainMenu and run the scripts yourself. I run the "daily" script every night, The weekly on Fridays and the Monthly on the 1st of the month.

SuperDuper is great stuff. I do a full clone backup on Fridays.

I also use another shareware tool called ChronoSync. This utility lets you back up specific folders (documents, user etc.) to your SD clone drive. Just be sure to match Source Documents folder to Destination Documents folder. CS can run on schedule in the background and, after the first sync, you can tell it to only backup the files that have changed or been added. Takes me about 30 seconds to do my daily backups this way. I also like the fact that you get an audio que that the backup was successful or not. Sometimes there is something in my User folder it doesn't like so with the audio cue, I know just to run the User folder backup again manually.

Time Machine is okay for people who otherwise wouldn't back up. But nothing beats having a bootable backup that is current.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2008, 06:10 PM

it's called Maintidget:

http://www.giantmike.com/widgets/Maintidget.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2008, 05:13 AM

what about Time Machine?
I am about to relocate to another country, and will be couriering my MacBookPro and hard drives there, rather than take them on an extended holiday, but am a little bit twitchy about how it will survive the journey. I've just bought a 750GM external HD and was thinking that Time Machine also makes it possible to restore your machine? Is that true? Or should I use SuperDuper? And does it matter if I don't have the original install disc (they are already in transit).
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2008, 05:20 AM

Hola! Yes I had Main Menu installed once. But I didn't used it. Btw. why should this scripts run during night? That doesn't make that much sense for me...

Thanks for the link pixelzombie.

The Time Machine works fine, but now I've tried Super Duper and I'll definitely don't use the tm anymore. Btw, search on google and you will find a lot of pro and cons.

You need the leopard disc to restore your back up. Super Duper creates a bootable backup image. It's very cool, you can boot from the external hard drive and restore all files
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2008, 06:06 AM

I've just read a ton of sites of pros and cons and am still confused.
What was it that convinced you, Sirespen, of SD over TM?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware