RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Seeking advice on buying a new mac pro

Old 10-01-2008, 12:21 AM

Re: Seeking advice on buying a new mac pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
As for the Cinema Display monitors, they may no longer be state of the art and require 3rd party calibration equipment, but I like that they are not quite as expensive as the NEC monitor I just returned, are not super bright so it won't tire my eyes and will take up less deskspace than some of the higher end monitors.

I consider the display as the core component of any system that is used for professional retouching.

I would(and have done so) buy a high end monitor that supports hardware calibration(NEC, EIZO, LaCie, Quato) and a decent measuring device(xrite).

Go with the mouse that comes with the mac as you are doing professional retouching and already own a Wacom tablet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2008, 05:13 AM

I get my RAM from Other World Computing. Great prices, great tech support. I bought a wireless keyboard and hated it. I could never boot with an option or zap PRAM because bluetooth had not loaded in time and the keyboard wasn't recognized. I agree on the mighty mouse too, it's a piece of crap. BTW.. the new aluminum keyboards are kind of nice, but the USB ports on either side are under powered even on the wired version.

Ports...ports...ports... I need more ports! I can never have enough! Scanner, printer(s), Wacom, card reader, Camcorder input, modem (I use it for faxing), iPhone and iPod cradle, iSight camera. flash drive, Bluetooth dongle, external FW drive (portable). I hate hubs so I got two Sonnet Technonogies PCI Extreme cards (one card has 2FW, 3USB) for a total of 4 extra FW ports and 6 extra USB ports. No more daisy chaining either.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2008, 10:05 AM

Thanks Swampy for the info on the wireless keyboard. Was your wireless keyboard from Apple?

I take it, MFisher that you can't hardware calibrate on an apple cinema display?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2008, 10:08 AM

...Was your wireless keyboard from Apple?

Yes. Like I say, I now have the wired version of the Aluminum and I really like it. Took a day or two to get used to the keyboard action, but it is so much easier to keep clean.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2008, 10:16 AM

The Aluminum is made by Apple?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2008, 10:21 AM

http://www.apple.com/keyboard/

?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2008, 10:26 AM

Thanks Fisher.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2008, 10:58 AM

The function keys act differently, but you can turn off the "new" functions in your Keyboard prefs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2008, 06:22 PM

I am a little dumb. Can someone please explain to me how to install dedicated harddrives? I have never seen one so want to be sure I am capable of doing this before I decide to go this route.

Also who is a good vendor for dedicated harddrives?

As the macpro is a dual processor, does this mean that I only need to purchase 2 dedicated harddrives?

MFisher, "Mine is filled with four disks, one for the system, one for data, one as scratchdisk, the last for backup." Did you install an equal amount of memory in each disk?

I think you said your system was 8GB so that would be 2 GB in each one if you allocated memory equally.

Thanks.

Last edited by Caravaggio; 10-08-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2008, 06:35 PM

Caravaggio...

Installing a hard drive into the MacPro is about the easiest of any other computer model I've ever owned. The MacPro has four trays. One per hard drive. The first tray will have the hard drive that ships with the computer the other three empty. Just slide a tray out, screw the new drive to the rails and re-insert the tray. Your manual should have the full directions and if you buy from Other Wolrd Computing they probably have an online QuickTime video showing you how to do it too.

The dual processor has nothing to do with the hard drives. It just means there are two processors on the motherboard. Ram has nothing to do with hard drives either. :-)

You can add up to 3 hard drives of any or mixed sized. I've got two 250GB internal drives and one 750GB external drive hooked up to my MacPro.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware