Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Seeking advice on buying a new mac pro

Old 10-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Re: Seeking advice on buying a new mac pro

You are not understanding how it all works Caravaggio - "As the macpro is a dual processor, does this mean that I only need to purchase 2 dedicated harddrives?" - I think you need to do some pretty basic homework, Ill try my best to explain as you are about to spend a lot of your money…

• The Intel Processors (these are duals or 4core now). In my experience these make the LEAST difference to operational speed, regardless of what the store will tell you. It was possible even when processors ran at 1.33 Ghz or less to have an extremely fast system if you filled it with enough RAM…

• The most important addition as far as speed goes, the Processors use RAM directly, this is temporary storage area, very fast access memory. You can have as much of this as you need, as I said earlier much more than 6Gigs is pointless as it stands at the moment. In the unusual case of Photoshop where it is swapping huge amounts of pixel data very quickly in and out of this RAM, its important, only if you are working on high res imagery, to have as much as Photoshop can use at the moment. This requirement at the moment about 5 gigs I reckon, may increase a little when PS moves to 64 bit on the mac, I'm not sure.

• Hard Drives are relatively slow access memory (250 Gigs or so) this is where your files and data are stored. You can get away with ONE hard drive, I did for years. Apple hard drives are very reliable - best to have about three, one for your filling system Thats the apple one, one 3rd party backup of that filing system, and a third MAYBE for what is called a SCRATCH disk - this scratch disk photoshop will only use when it runs out of Available RAM. Back when I started it was pretty essential to have a scratch disk, but you can get away without one quite easily these days, I don't have one on my mac pro and the difference is minimal.

And having seen people do what you are doing many times before, I'll give you this advice… spending a fortune on a nice machine doesn't buy you clients, get the clients FIRST.

Last edited by Markzebra; 10-08-2008 at 06:00 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Re: Seeking advice on buying a new mac pro

Well I have the earlier quad core pro, 5 gig of RAM with a 30 inch cinema screen, an Intuous 3... oh and a neglected wife lol! I'm very happy with my whole set up and the 30inch screen is a godsend, I can work 10 - 12 hours in front of this thing and still not get sore eyes, so the investment is well worth it imo.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware