RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Which Camera & Glass? I know what I want to shoot.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:46 PM

Which Camera & Glass? I know what I want to shoot.

I'm currently using a Kodak EasyShare DX7630 but am becoming increasingly more frustrated with its limitations, especially the auto color correct (that cannot be turned off).

Our businesses are upgrading and we're about to bring in quite a bit more stock. I will be shooting jewelry (no gems, just metal), lots of different fabrics and clothing on human models, both indoors and out.

My budget is between $500-$1000. I've heard the adage to buy the glass not the camera but - sad to say - I've never used a lens, just the EasyShare.

What kind of camera would you recommend for my work? And what kind of glass for the various work I will be doing?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2008, 02:09 AM
Patron

Re: Which Camera & Glass? I know what I want to sh

Keep in mind that proper lighting and good control over highlights and shadow are just as important as the lenses used.. The proper camera will depend on how proficient you are in operating the camera and lens controls and how comfortable you are with the camera and lens combinations you try out.. have you considered renting before you buy, to see what your preferences are?

To me it sounds like a very limited budget to produce quality work for an in-house operation like you are describing. Especially if you want to shoot tethered to the computer for instant gratification.

Just things to consider with no recommendations for your problem
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2008, 01:13 PM

Certainly it is a limited budget, however there isn't much I can do about that.

I understand that taking pictures is more about the art than the tools. With the right mindset and skill, one can accomplish anything regardless of tools.

However the EasyShare is starting to limit my progress (likely because I, myself, am somewhat limited) and I would like a tool that is better suited to taking higher quality pictures of jewelry, fabric and models.

Any recommendations on a tool to better accomplish these goals and the glass to do it with would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2008, 05:34 PM

[QUOTE=bigdaddygypsy;209505]

With the right mindset and skill, one can accomplish anything regardless of tools.

However the EasyShare is starting to limit my progress (likely because I, myself, am somewhat limited) and I would like a tool that is better suited to taking higher quality pictures of jewelry, fabric and models.

[QUOTE]

"one can accomplish anything regardless of tools" But at what cost in extra time and cost? And will you have to lower your expectation of quality? Every time I hear this statement I think of the heart surgeon who comes in with a bottle of whiskey instead of an anesthesiologist, a rusty jackknife instead of scalpel and some paper clips to hold you together when he's done.

"right mindset and skill" seems to be in conflict with "(likely because I, myself, am somewhat limited)"

It sounds like you know what you want, but do not know how to get there. I would suggest that you either keep doing (if that is acceptable) what you are doing while you take some class's to obtain that knowledge or perhaps farm out the work to an outside source.

When one adds up the cost to buy all the equipment (lights, backgrounds, equipment etc), plus the room to do all this in, then the steps it takes to hire models, mua's and keep it all legal and remember that while you are doing all of this you cannot do anything else for the company. And remember if you are just starting to do this your own, your productivity will be very low so it will take a lot of your time.

As for the camera gear, I do not think that your budget is reasonable for what you have described so far. You have not told us what you are doing with the images after you capture them. For strictly web type usage, I would like to see your budget increased by at least 2X.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2008, 07:00 PM

I'll take a crack at some recommendations. Since I know Nikon equipment better than Canon, that is what I recommend. Cannon is just as good, except that I can't speak to it.

You will need:

Camera
D70s or D80.
About $500 new on Ebay

Lens
Nikon 60mm Nikkor f/2.8 AF-S Micro
$350 new on Ebay

Flash
SB-600
$100 used on Ebay

Light tent
Make your own.
Free

Total expense:
$950

Reasoning for these choices

The camera needs to be fairly sophisticated and still be able to accept all of the current lenses. Both the D70s and the D80 are 1 or 2 generations behind what is current from Nikon. So, they will be cheap but still very good cameras and they accept every lens made by Nikon.

The lens that I selected will give you the most flexibility. There are others that are cheaper but you loose the "macro" capabilities if you need to do a real close up shot to show detail.

The flash can be used off the camera. That is important since you will be using a light tent to shoot the items. Read all about it here http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/sb600.htm

The light tent, you can make one for almost free. Just follow the instructions:
http://digital-photography-school.co...ve-light-tent/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddygypsy View Post
I'm currently using a Kodak EasyShare DX7630 but am becoming increasingly more frustrated with its limitations, especially the auto color correct (that cannot be turned off).

Our businesses are upgrading and we're about to bring in quite a bit more stock. I will be shooting jewelry (no gems, just metal), lots of different fabrics and clothing on human models, both indoors and out.

My budget is between $500-$1000. I've heard the adage to buy the glass not the camera but - sad to say - I've never used a lens, just the EasyShare.

What kind of camera would you recommend for my work? And what kind of glass for the various work I will be doing?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2008, 08:05 PM

dpreview is always a good place to start, whether you're looking for a camera body or a lens. and, i like this page for getting a quick start on what i'm looking for: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp . this allows you to input your parameters and get returns on those parameters.

now, you mentioned glass. dpreview also has reviews on glass. see here: http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/ .

combine those two and you shld be able to find what you're looking for.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware