RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Software Scam

Old 11-04-2008, 07:12 AM

Re: Software Scam

Hi Plugsnpixels,
I suppose a lot of people that use Mac's are wondering the same thing. I don't know what it's like overseas but in Australia i can build you a very powerfull PC for a fraction of the cost of a Mac. My average customer dosn't do what you and I and other members of this forum do, their just happy to surf the net, send and receive emails, burn their photo's to a cd to store them safely and take them to Kmart to get them printed, they don't even know what cs3 is and they want to do all this as cheap as possible.

Maybe one day we PC users will evolve
Regards,
Barry.
P.S I like a lot of the helpfull suggestions you give to other members.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2008, 03:10 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

G'day Barry,

Yeah, I understand, no worries. And you're welcome for the suggestions/advice.

I agree, I like the concept of being able to build your own box. But once you load Windows, then the cost begins! ;-) Certain Mac hardware lets you customize the internals to a degree (G4, G5 and Mac Pro towers), and I've taken advantage of this to hot rod my Macs.

I've played with Ubuntu Linux and think it's a great thing to have available, but personally have no use for it at this time.

Anyway, good luck with your customers! I just read this today:

Trojan Steals 300,000 Bank Log-ins, Financial Data

The Sinowal Trojan has stolen roughly 300,000 bank log-ins and a similar number of credi and debit card numbers according to RSA FraudAction Research Lab. RSA reported finding a treasure trove of financial data stolen by the Trojan, which uses rootkit functionality to infect a PC's master boot record, allowing it to slip by malware defenses.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2008, 06:56 PM

Hi Nebgranny

If you are still having the problem, I would suggest that you go to Kaspersky.
http://www.kaspersky.com/
They have some free scans that you can run, and they also have a help forum to help users resolve these problems. They also have several tools that can fix many of the problems for you, including system mechanic, and Kaspersky internet security. I know that they aren't free, But I use them and feel that it is worth the cost. (And it's costs less than running out and buying a Mac.)

By the way, I wouldn't run the PCTools stuff. I have seen it cause some real problems for people, including myself, and it can be hard to remove.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2008, 01:54 AM

Hi plugsnpixels,
I'm glad you posted that link for members to look at, it backs up what I tell my customers that in general Internet banking is not safe. The trojan thats mentioned is like many other trojans that are written to do the same thing, their called 'keylogger' trojans, in other words they record every keystroke, mouse click, web page that you visit. all this info is saved to a small file (40-50k's) and when full sends the info to the person that wrote it when you connect to the net.( bypassing your security) These crimainals attitude is 'why rob a bank when you can rob accounts', This is the fastest growing criminal activity in the world. Here is a tip, if you find one of these on your computer after a scan, go down to or ring your bank (do not use the net) and change your password, this stops them accessing your account with the old password. There are trojans written to collect all sorts of information these are just one type.

I have special software to scan the mbr for "bugs', this area is a bigger minefield than the rest of the registry.

Ubuntu is a good OS, not enough backup, Bill Gates has got us all by short and curly's

Regards,
Barry.
P.S with a greeting like G'day, you wouldn't be an Aussie by any chance?

Last edited by bazza64; 11-05-2008 at 02:14 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2008, 02:19 AM

It's not a virus. It's spyware/adware. Although a trojan can be intertwined within the spyware. Definitely Run Spybot and AVG. Just to be on the safe side and to save time. Reboot your computer and as it's starting up press and hold the F8 button and boot up in "safe mode". This will load only the necessary windows drivers and kernels. And then run Spybot and AVG, it will help prevent an automated reinstall of the malicious program.

OH and don't forget to clean out your temporary files and System Restore/Shadow copy files FIRST.

Oh and don't forget to update Spybot and AVG before scanning. Sorry for the order of advice, it's a bit late here in my town. Hope everything works out of ya.

|2Jc
Residential Network Services Tech
University of California Riverside
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2008, 02:32 AM

Hello l2jc,
Nice to know there is another 'tech' in the forum.

Regards,
Barry.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2008, 05:50 AM

Hey NebGranny.
Major geeks used to have a program the was pretty nifty at helping with this.
*VundooFix*.
Got rid of most of the thing, but as others have said do it all from safe mode and backup everything else first.
Turn off system restore and delete all system restore points or it will come back to haunt you with random files left in Win system 32.
I finally killed it`s remnants with Tend Micro online scan.
HTH.

Studio66.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2008, 05:53 AM

Thumbs up Re: Software Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebgranny View Post
Morning :
My friend has a problem with a screen which came up on her computer last evening. It has taken over as her home page which she can still get to via her favorites. It keeps intruding and comes up with a message telling her that her computer has been compromised and she has a virus. It tells her to download a software within the screen. I am sure this is a scam to get her to purchase a software program by scaring her into thinking she has a virus and 2 that she needs the software to remove it. She did a search all files and hidden files and her computer does not have a virus.

I remember having something like this a year or so ago, but do not remember how I got rid of it. Does anyone here know how to get rid of this screen ? Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks Nebgranny

Sorry I forgot to mention Get Firefox *forget_IE_in any version*.

Studio66.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2008, 11:01 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Is there a way to do the Windows software update without IE? I'm a Mac user running Windows via Parallels and use IE>Tools>Windows Update to get the latest stuff.

I'm not running Windows at the moment or I'd check and see if it's just a simple matter of bookmarking a URL in Firefox...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2008, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
Is there a way to do the Windows software update without IE? I'm a Mac user running Windows via Parallels and use IE>Tools>Windows Update to get the latest stuff.

I'm not running Windows at the moment or I'd check and see if it's just a simple matter of bookmarking a URL in Firefox...
If you turn on automatic updates. It'll download the necessary patches automatically. There should also be a link for updates in the programs menu...however I'm not 100% sure. I haven't updated an XP system in a while as I use vista. But the auto updates in the computer settings will work. Or you can always go to update.microsoft.com, but that also requires IE to run.. =\

As a side note:
You use should bootcamp (included in mac osx) and install XP as a dual boot. It's much better than using a virtual machine like parallels.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware