RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Software Scam

Old 11-03-2008, 02:51 AM

Unhappy Software Scam

Morning :
My friend has a problem with a screen which came up on her computer last evening. It has taken over as her home page which she can still get to via her favorites. It keeps intruding and comes up with a message telling her that her computer has been compromised and she has a virus. It tells her to download a software within the screen. I am sure this is a scam to get her to purchase a software program by scaring her into thinking she has a virus and 2 that she needs the software to remove it. She did a search all files and hidden files and her computer does not have a virus.

I remember having something like this a year or so ago, but do not remember how I got rid of it. Does anyone here know how to get rid of this screen ? Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks Nebgranny
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2008, 05:24 AM

Re: Software Scam

this may be a scam or worse it probably is a virus that will be downloaded when she clicks on the download button on the screen.How to get rid of it? a good antivirus like macafee or kaspersky should clean it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2008, 05:52 AM

You don't say which browser she is using but assuming IE then can she reset her home page. under tools/internet options on the menu. If she has her original home page open she can then just click on the use current button.

Christine
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2008, 06:45 AM

Hi nebgranny,
It sounds like your friend has the "Winantispyware 2008" trojan, it's also known as the "Winantivirus 2008" trojan. It pops up on peoples screens as they surf the net looking at seemingly normal web pages, it tells them it has detected a virus on their computer and immediately starts downloading a free scanner., thats when it installs itself on the computer. It supposedly finds a number of "bugs" on the computer and if you pay them a fee they will download the unlock key for the software, IT"S A SCAM,
it's been around since 2005 it changes its name every year. It's also known as the Vundo trojan.

It hijacks IE and and redirects you to web pages it wants to, it's no use changing your browser bach to what you had before it will simply change it back again.

If you want to try and fix it yourself then as a start I would suggest you download spyware tools like PCtools, Hijackthis (be carefull using this), Superantispyware, Avg v8 free. these are all free!! in some cases you might have to edit the registry files (this can be harmfull) one software package is not enough to clean out this baby, it's got a bad habit of rewriting it's own .dll files and you have to start all over again.

If your not sure on what to do I suggest you call a technician, this is one of the worst "bugs" on the net.

I get at least 6-8 comps' a month with this bug on it, it will gradually disappear over the next few months as the security software company's get a handle on it, untill next year.

For anybody reading this, as soon as you see it on your screen immediately get out of IE (this stops it installing)and then reactivate IE and go to Tools-> Internet Options and delete all cookies and temp internet files. This is where it resides untill you reboot your computer.

Hope this helps you,
Regards,
Barry
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2008, 02:47 PM

I would agree with Barry. These often fall into the Malware category, thus many low end virus software don't catch them. I have had it before, as many friends have. It can be removed easily, but often takes several iterations from the removal tool. I had success with AdAware and SpyBot (both free); again, having to use both. It can also be removed manually, but is a pain.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2008, 03:42 PM

hi,
your friend sounds like has a adware infection.... that not a virus.... come underthe broad category of spyware...

now to remove if we knew the name of the software that there trying to scare the person into buying....... we could probably come up the procedures to remove it...!!

but your friend can do a search on removal instructions on the net and find it should be easy...

alternatives.... many times they set themselves up running at startup so check your msconfig....

now another way...... this will make it inactive,,, but files still be there on the hd just that there doing nothing and that is use your restore point and pick date a couple of days before the infection occurred...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebgranny View Post
Morning :
My friend has a problem with a screen which came up on her computer last evening. It has taken over as her home page which she can still get to via her favorites. It keeps intruding and comes up with a message telling her that her computer has been compromised and she has a virus. It tells her to download a software within the screen. I am sure this is a scam to get her to purchase a software program by scaring her into thinking she has a virus and 2 that she needs the software to remove it. She did a search all files and hidden files and her computer does not have a virus.

I remember having something like this a year or so ago, but do not remember how I got rid of it. Does anyone here know how to get rid of this screen ? Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks Nebgranny
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2008, 08:36 PM

Hi again Nebgranny,
With the symptoms you described I assumed it was the 'Winantivirus 2008' malware, only because over the last couple of months I've had a rash of infections with this 'bug' on customers computers.
The only software that you have to be carefull with that I recomended to you is 'Hijackthis', this software tells you if IE has been changed in any way over and above the "normal" level of modification thats done by genuine software. If your not sure about it, don't use it.

TommyO is right, it is "malware" meaning it's more of a nuisance bug more than anything else as your finding out.
JerryB is right to, you can go back in time by using system restore, but it's files are still on your drive!! and as a technician thats not acceptable, I like to get rid of all this "bugs" files.

Another tip I forgot to tell you is run your scans in safe mode, this stops it files from activating during bootup.
If you want to you can do a "google" search on "how to remove the Winantivrus 2008 trojan" you will get web pages that list all the files that this bug installs on your HD, print these out and then you can use Explorer to do a search for these files to make sure that their gone, and if any remain you can delete them.
I hope this works for you, if you need anymore help please let me know. Were all here to help.
Regards Barry.

Last edited by bazza64; 11-03-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2008, 09:53 PM

Hi Barry:
We found a software that is suppose to remove this , however when my friend ran it and said a lot of things were in the registry and she did not want to fool with them and reemove them at my suggestion . We do not know a thing about dealing with this and have been told this is dangerous. OH, here is the site that offers the removal software. http://www.malwarebytes.org:80/forum...showtopic=5175

Tell us what you think. She tried it and came up with a lot of registry threats or infections. Thanks nebgranny
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2008, 11:20 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

And Windows is so popular why-? I'm serious.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2008, 06:45 AM

Hi Nebgranny,
If the security software that you ran picks up registry entires from the 'bug' it is usually safe to let it remove those entries, as a precaution I suggest you create a restore point first and back up your reg files to a seperate folder.
I don't suggest you try to remove these manually, any other tech reading this would agree with me the registry is a mine field for the inexperienced user.

Run as much free software as you can, I will list some good ones again for you.
Adaware 2008
Superantispyware free edition
PC Tools antivirus
Spybot search and destroy

I have not used that software in your link as yet, but I will download it and test it out and let you know what I think.

Keep in touch,
Barry.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware