Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Your next printer choice

Old 12-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Re: Your next printer choice

Thanks to everyone who gave an opinion. I was purposely vague in my question because I didn't want to limit opinions to just one specific area/type of printing. And I'm glad I did it that way because I have learned something new from everyone who commented.

Hello Stardis - I agree with you about the ink cost. My first printer was a lower-end Canon that lasted quite a long while. It was used mainly for in-home document printing and a photo now and then. I thought the photo quality was comparable to a photo lab (and that was even before I had to start wearing glasses). But even at that, I couldn't justify the cost of ink, so I found refillable ink at Costco and began refilling the cartridges myself and had no problems.

Pixelzombie -"..can be converted to print 4 color blacks" - I had not realized until very recently that just because a printer can produce excellent color images, it may suffer in printing B&W . So, what you're saying is that you'd like a printer where there are 4 cartridges (3 color, 1 black) and that you would like to interchange the 3 colors with 3 varied intensities of black? That sounds cool. I tried the link that you supplied but there was an error.

Ashphotoart - I couldn't find the Epson R230. Thanks for the information regarding CISS, I never knew about it and am so very happy that you mentioned it. That's definitely the way I'll be going!

TommyO - I didn't want to limit this to what I could afford now because what if I won the lottery in the meantime? I'd certainly get something more than I'd need. The information you provided is very much appreciated, and right-on-target from what I've been learning through researching. Thank you!

Kraellin - Wow! The flatbed printer sounds amazing! I never knew that such a thing existed. Now that's what I want when I win the lottery!

Denschneider - Actually, before I even started this thread, I had been researching the R1800 and was thinking about going in that direction but found that they are discontinued Thanks for your opinion.

And now, here's what I did. I have an old Epson Stylus C60 that has mainly been used for in-home printing and rarely, the occasional photo. It served its purpose and will still be used for basic, unimportant printing. However, when I was asked to create some brochures for a local company, I realized that I would have to outsource the printing portion of the job since my C60 would not be able to handle it. So, I wanted to find a printer whose 1st priority would be excellent photo reproduction, and then possibly for small, brochure-type tasks.

I chose the Epson Stylus Photo 1400 because for my needs, I think it will fit the bill, plus, Epson had a $120 rebate going on which will bring the total cost for the printer to $179.99 and it isn't a refurbised one. I used it to print my portfolio and I am very, very happy with the quality, beautiful results! I will also be purchasing a CISS for it shortly because I just can't afford the ink costs.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware