Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Wacom Intuitos 2 vs 3

Old 12-31-2008, 03:32 PM
Wacom Intuitos 2 vs 3

Hi, I have an Intuitos 2 tablet. I have always been quite happy with it except it is a little too big and a smaller one would probably serve me better as it would take up less space on my desk.

I was wondering what the primary differences are between the Intuitos 2 and 3 series and if it is worth upgrading? I tend to use the tablet in a very basic way as a painting tool or for drawing accurate paths without customizing it and even removed the switch on it that activated features.

I am often asked as a retoucher to smooth out product shots that have problem areas such as bottles that were prototypes and have an uneven coloration with some areas missing paint. Although I have a background as a fine arts realistic painter, I often have problems achieving super-smooth results and find smoothing out these bottles quite finicky and tedious. I usually try to correct the bad areas by painting at a very low opacity with a soft brush. I have experimented with the spacing and tend to keep it between 10 and 25, but find it makes little difference. I have also experimented with turning pressure sensitivity and the airbrush in the brushes palette on and off but find it doesn't make a lot of difference. Often I have to apply a low gaussian blur to make my application of the paintbrush tool look to make it look smoother, but this seems to slightly defeat the whole purpose of the Wacom tablet. What am I doing wrong? If I get really frustrated, I just select a smooth area of the image with a similar paint value (Command shift C) and paste it onto a new layer that covers up the bad paint and adjust the opacity and mask the transition.

So I have a few questions. What are the differences between Intuitos 2 and 3? Also does anyone have any suggestions on getting smoother results when painting with the tablet? Would getting a Wacom airbrush instead of a stylus pen help? Does the wacom airbrush produce smoother results than you can get with airbrush enabled in the brushes palette?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Caravaggio; 01-01-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2009, 08:31 AM
Re: Wacom Intuitos 2 vs 3

Did you change the pen sensitivity for graphics tablets ?
If you want more control I think Painter X is way better, you have more control for painting,has more brushes and setting for the brushes. As far as the tablet maybe somebody else will give an advice because I use a cheap one and I'm happy with it.

Last edited by kilty560; 01-10-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Re: Wacom Intuitos 2 vs 3

The spacing control will actually create a dotted line affect. I find for smooth strokes, a spacing of 0 is better. If you want to control the opacity with the pen pressure, Go to the other dynamics settings, and set the drop down under opacity jitter to pen pressure. Be sure to leave the opacity jitter to 0%, unless you want PS to adjust it at random. The airbrush setting gives you an airbrush look by painting the edges a bit darker than the center. I would suggest leaving it off.

I suspect upgrading to the Intuous 3 won't do much for you. You just need to spend some time experimenting with the settings.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware