RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

New printer or rely on the labs.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:10 PM

New printer or rely on the labs.

Just as I treated myself at Xmas to a new Canon 40D my trusty Canon i9100 inkjet has finally gone for it's final walk with the pixies at the end of the garden and decided to stay with them !

It was on it's last legs, at nearly 5 years old and the first few years it had quite a hammering, but to be honest for the last few months the only things printed out on it where letters to the bank manager and emails.

I bought a cheap Samsung Laser printer to handle the office side of things, but now I have a dilemma:-

I am not a professional photographer but enjoy the hobby in an enthusiastic way, hence I don't need to be printing out regular amounts of prints. Most of the time me and the wife just like browsing the images on the PC or at the most, use Proshow Gold to produce DVD slide shows for family and friends.

Is it worth investing in a new inkjet or should I use a good quality lab to print out the odd picture that I want?

I cannot believe that Canon's top of the range Pixma A4 printer is only £75, but I dare say a full set of inks will cost close to £50! I'm not in the market (or have the funds post Xmas) for any of the Pro range!

I keep thinking that I would regret not having a reasonable colour printer to hand but without spending a lot would it be worth it and should I just rely on a lab?

Any help would be appreciated.

Also is there a UK equivalent of MPIX as they seem to be US/CAN based.

Regards

Tony
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Janitor

Re: New printer or rely on the labs.

Although there have been marketing claims otherwise, sitting around not printing is bad for your inkjet. If you don't print much, the lab route (or even a self-help kiosk) might be your best bet. If you only use 4x6 size prints, consider a dye-sub printer. The actual printer is a bit more expensive, but sitting around inactive doesn't harm it, and the print quality is superb.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Patron

Hi Tony, printer hardware is really inexpensive because it's all about INK.Most ink jet cartridges need to be consumed within 6 months of opening and installing them. More importantly you need to run them once every week or two otherwise the jets dry out. When they do you need to run a cleaning cycle which justs wastes ink. To make decent prints you need 5 colors + Black. If the 5 colors are all in one cartridge, sometimes one color runs out and you need to toss the whole cartride - wasting more ink.
Then you need to calculate the cost per print.
If you are fortunate enough to have a fast turn around print service that has good prices (like Costco) that might be a better route to go.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 03:09 AM

Thanks for the replies. I think the Lab way may be best.

Might send a print or two off to a few labs to see who's results I like best.

Cheers

Tony
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 07:25 AM
Patron

Things to Watch For when using Labs

Since you will be trying a number of labs, look out for the following.

1. Some systems don't take chances that they will leave small white edges on your prints so they upsize your image by 5% and then print. So effectively you will see a noticeable area of you image has disappeared.

2. Some labs will provide you free custom color profiles for the printer at the location of your choice. When you are finished editing you image you can convert from your editing color work space to that lab's printer profile. That will ensure your prints perfectly match what you saw on your monitor (assuming your monitor is reasonably calibrated).

3. Some on line ordering systems have a check box that allows you to prevent the system from making any "auto color" or "auto contrast" adjustments to your image. This will allow you to print the image exactly as you edited it without their computer making any adjsutments and screwing up your print.

Professional printing labs will usually not do item 1 and allow you the option of items 2 and 3.
The only big box outfit I found that offers you those professional options above is Costco.

Good luck and let us know who does a good job for you.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 10:15 AM

I was in the same situation as you a couple years ago.

I opted for an HP ink-jet printer for 4'X6" snapshots and 8.5"x11" prints (usually for proofs) and commercial printers for larger (16"x20" and up) prints, prints-on-canvas, gallery wraps, coffee-table books, etc.

That has worked for me. Good luck on your decision.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware