RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Epson 1280 and Vista Help

Old 01-25-2009, 09:46 AM

Epson 1280 and Vista Help

Hi Folks,

First post here and I'm new to the profile game. I recently upgraded(?) from windows XP to Vista. I've been having a heck of a time trying to resolve my color management since the switch. I've downloaded the EasyPrint drivers for the 1280 and it is said that Vista loads the appropriate ICC profiles.

I have switched from PS 7.0 to Elements 6.0 (came with the package) and have recalibrated my monitor w/Spyder2.

The color management I had with the XP configuration was excellent, now it seems like a crapshoot as far as what exits the printer. I realize there are adjustments necessary, but I'm at a loss as to how to establish a baseline starting point.

Any insight would be appreciated - Thanks,
Denny
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Patron

Re: Espson 1280 and Vista Help

Denny, the printing process is essentially the same whether you are using XP or Vista.
Your problem is most likely related to you settings in the Print Dialog Box.
Is Color Management set to "Printer Manages Color" or "Photoshop Manages Color"?
The answer will determine what you select in the Page Set Up window.
What editing program are you using?
What color space are you editing in?
More info is req'd to diagnose your problem.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2009, 11:34 AM

Hi Murray, thanks for the reply. Right now I have it set that the printer manages color, I'm using PS Elemnets 6.0, the color space (source space?) is sRGB IEC61966-2.1.
Printer profile is Working RGB - Adobe RGB (1998).
Thanks,
Denny
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2009, 12:35 PM
Patron

Denny, I assume that the Printer Profile box is dimmed out? Under the Color Management box there is a Document button. Is it checked and what profile does it say the document is?
Final question I have is under Edit>Color Settings menu, what are the Color Management Settings set to?
Thanks, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2009, 01:08 PM

Murray - yes, the printer profile box is dimmed out. I don't see a button under Color Management that says "document", however, there is a Rendering Intent that is set to "Perceptual". Is this what you're referring too? Finally, under Edit>Color Settings menu, the Color Management Settings are set to "Always Optimize for Printing".
Thanks,
Denny
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Patron

Denny, I am using PS Full not elements and it seems that some of the options may have been reduced in PS Elements. I will try to find a user manual to look it up. However, in the meantime, take a look at the screenshot below. The concept and flow will be basically the same. You have prepared an image in your working color space (whatever that is - usually sRGB or Adobe RGB) and now you want to print.
When you select "Printer Manages Color" you are basically tell PSE to output the data to the printer and are instructing the printer software to make all of the necessary conversions of that data to what the printer needs to output the correct amount of ink to look as close as possible to the image on your monitor (assuming your monitor is reasonably calibrated).
Next you go the the Printer Page set up and select your paper type (size and orientation) but next is where you need to be careful with the 1280.
See the 2nd arrow - check the Custom Button and click on the Advanced tab to bring up the advanced tab window.
Under Color Management, make sure you click the top button - Color Controls but do NOT adjust any of those sliders - leave them all at 0. If you choose any of the other buttons the print will usually be from moderately to way off in color and/or tone. Sometimes it will look downright nasty.
For example you have just set Printer Manages Color and now if you click the No Color Adjustment button you effectively prevent the printer form making any of the adjustments you just told it to make. This isn't spelled out well in the Epson 1280 documentation.
Give this a try and see how things go.
Oh, almost forgot, I suggest you set the Gamma to 1.8 and the Print Quality to Photo (prints at 1440 ppi). Best Photo prints at 2880 ppi but it is painfully slow. Fine only prints at 720 and is not adequate for good photos.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BAY2SAV Screenshot.jpg (181.4 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2009, 01:58 PM

Thanks Murray for all of your time and effort to help me through this. I'll work on a couple of prints with your suggestions and see where that takes me.

Thanks again - Denny
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2009, 02:09 PM
Patron

Denny you are welcome. Once you get all of the options set correctly the 1280 is a good work horse and will produce consistent results.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware