Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Eye-One Spectrophotometer

Old 04-01-2009, 03:54 PM
Angry Eye-One Spectrophotometer

Although the Eye-One spectrophotometer is touted as a professional grade product, I just wanted to let the forum members know the problems I have personally experienced in dealing with X-Rite regarding an i1 (Eye-One) measuring device that should be working fine, but that is as dead as a door nail.

My i1 (Eye-One) device was used personally by me, and me alone. It was not mishandled in any way. In fact it was pampered, as any scientific instrument should be: it was not subjected to extremes of hot or cold, no water or moisture, no dust, no dropping or used as a hammer, etc., etc.

Since I only used it occasionally to calibrate my monitor and to derive profiles for a few different output papers, this device has not seen much use.

Well, one day the lamp simply did not come on. No matter what I tried, the unit was effectively dead and useless. When I called into X-Rite I was told that for $305 they would insert a light bulb and recalibrate the device. They told me that this "repair" would be warranted for a period of 90 days. If after 90 days, lets say 92 days after getting the device back, my lamp goes out again I will have to cough up another $305 to have the unit serviced yet again, and so on and so on.

After checking the unit with the i1 diagnostics program. the reflective lamp shows as having only .92 hours of use on it. So for the initial purchase price of over $900, plus an additional service fee of $305 you may end up with an i1 (Eye-One) unit providing more than 1 hour of use, but maybe not.

It should be noted, that you can not have anyone but X-Rite repair the unit, the unit is totally useless when the reflective lamp fails to turn on since you have no means of calibrating the unit to the calibration tile, so essentially unless you want to pay an additional $305 potentially every three or four months, you have a device that is utterly useless. To me, this practice and policy basically borders on fraud and extortion.

Before you invest your money in X-Rite products, I just wanted to warn you about the unethical practices of this particular company. It should be noted that Gretag Macbeth's policies about fixing clearly defective units was vastly different than that of X-Rite. X-Rite is more focused on company profit than on supporting their customer base.

Based upon my own experience, unless you plan on using this device on a daily basis, I would strongly recommend that if you are interested in using X-Rite i1 (Eye-One) products that you spread the very expensive cost of ownership over several photographers in your local geographic area.

If you have your own issues to report about X-Rite and i1 (Eye-One), I would be interested in hearing about it.

Last edited by 007; 04-02-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware