Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

What can be alternative to 'Apple cinema display'?

Old 04-08-2009, 04:02 PM
What can be alternative to 'Apple cinema display'?

Hallo, retouchers!!
Do you have something to suggest as an alternative to 'Apple cinema display'?

Some weeks ago i was ready to buy 20 inch one, but suddenly it is gone from market. The others (biggers) from Apple is not affordable to me at the moment.

Wonder what brand/model could go as quality alternative (or maybe even better).
I believe there could be cheaper ones than the apple monitors with the same quality.

(BTW: i do not need a big one, 20-22 inch is very good for me. My budget at the moment ~500-600 euros)

Please give an advice what can i get for my limited budget!

Thank you very much!

Last edited by aus; 04-08-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2009, 08:53 AM
Re: What can be alternative to 'Apple cinema displ

Hi Aus,
i'm in the same boat now my CRT is not only fading, but i have a red cast which i didn't notice that has appeared over the last few months or earlier!
A useful site is this one which reviews both monitor and Televisions.
Depends what u need the monitor for, if you are photographing and editing raw images for print, then you may want to take advantage of a wider gamut ( Adobe colour space )monitor.
If you are working with the web or output in sRGB, the options are better. What is important for both is colour accuracy.
An eyeone 2 or similar is strongly reccomended even for an internally factory calibrated monitor as i found out to my detriment, i now have to e-edit 70% of my images from raw again to fix the white balance and colour casts.
I'm looking at the NEC multisync 90's because generally the reviews have been good and they can be calibrated internally without using the computers graphic card.
Im on ebay today, may be i'll strike it lucky and find someone who delivers down to Spain, just found a coloredge, but it's london pick up only....
Good luck with your search,
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2009, 03:32 PM

Hello, Algavre, thanks a million for a reply and links!

As about CRT's i like the colors, but they usually have little poor sharpness as i noticed.
I was looking for second-hand CRT, but all appeared to be quite blurry

At the moment i pointed my attention to a NEC too found this model:
This one i can get for 350 euro, if it is good enough then i probably going to get it.
How do you think, this one is good enough?

About Eyeone
Was thinking a lot about monitor calibration hardware,
You think Eyeone is a decent one?
Firstly i saw a Pantone HueyPro on apple online store...
While was thinking to get one, someone told me about LeCie quality calibrators...
I definately need one, just now im confused which one of those is the best...

Last edited by aus; 05-11-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2009, 07:26 PM

you generally wont go wrong with NEC. i had an NEC multisync 75 for years. good quality and held up a long time. the ONLY thing i'd watch for is to compare the crt, whatever you're looking at, with the new lcd or led types. these are pretty slick and actually cheaper for a larger size than the crt's and, the quality, especially in the range of hues and shades displayed seems to beat the crt's by a touch. but, that's a generality, so YOU go out and look and compare. but, if you are convinced crt is what you want, NEC is about the best i've ever found.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2009, 10:48 PM

I would say the other guys have provided some good feedback.

I was wondering though, what your intended purpose is, i.e. hobby, portrait retouch, glamour retouch, personal artwork, etc. This helps us understand your needs better.

It sounds like you're a bit on the fence over cost vs quality. So, I would assume part of your work is for your own hobbies, otherwise cost is not much of an issue when the client base will support the price.

On used monitors, beware there can be damage done to the internal electronics and florescent tubes. As tubes grow older, everyone tends to turn up the controls to regain the brightness they need. The stress on the electronics can be irreversible. And, you often cannot tell if the tubes are new or not based on their demo, as they may have the controls overridden quite high. Read up on how to check out used monitors before you buy. There are plenty of tests you can do on their PC to demonstrate how much life is left.

There are definitely monitors of equal value to Apple Cinemas at a lower cost. There are so many reviews out there on this issue, just google it.

Regarding calibration, yes you will need it whether you are buying new or used. The most inexpensive alternative is the Spyder2 Express. For $60, you get very good calibration that suffices for almost all non-pro to semi-pro work. It's fast, easy, and reliable. Once into the pro ranks, you can opt for the $1500+ calibrators.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2009, 02:47 PM

Thank you, Kraellin, for confirmation about NEC quality!

The main purpose is to work for a clients.
I've worked in photolab in the past and i got some photoshop skills, but now i need to have equipment for a start, just to move from dead point and make some money for better equipment and to support myself.

The client base - probably would support the price, but at the moment i have no clients, because i haven't good equipment, and i haven't good equipment because i haven't money, and i have no money because i haven't equipment and clients. Damn circle

For this reason i just looking for something affordable i can start with.

CRT's - i gave up searching second hand ones.
There was my favorite and very affordable CRT in the past - flatron, i can't find it anymore.

Reviews - hmm ive searched, but to be honest got even more confused because of many different opinions... probably i search in the wrong places.. any decent reviews website in which you, guys, always trust? That would really help.

I already got Spyder3 Pro, now trying to figure out how it works
Thanks TommyO for suggestion!

Probably ill go for NEC, as i can see you, guys, giving very positive opinions about NEC

I very appreciate your advices
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2009, 07:16 AM

I am going to buy Apple Cinema Display 30" soon, i know that NEC, Eizo, Lacie all are great enough, but i love Apple products, also to work with my MBP for more compatibility, so i prefer to work with same company products, but i may buy another monitor like NEC to use it with my PC, so then i can swap between ACD or NEC if so to use with my MBP, and all that for hobby only, i don't have much money but i always wish to have models so i can get money, in my area no chance for me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2009, 11:01 AM

If you want something as good, if not better than Eizo, look at Quato screens
Amazing quality.
But expensive.
I have a Quato 213 Excellence and am very happy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2009, 06:48 PM

Cinema refurbs... Get em while u can. I got a 24 in. And it's perfect for 600
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 12:11 AM

the dell 2209wa is a great value for the money. IPS screen.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware