Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Wacom: How long did it take you to get used to it?

Old 04-21-2009, 11:31 PM
Re: Wacom: How long did it take you to get used to

Originally Posted by Nasturtium View Post
It took me a really long time because I was trying to learn everything at once. It got better when I decided to put off learning the pen tool until I got the hang of the tablet.

So my tip is learn to use the pad first (maybe use quick mask instead of the pen?) and then in about 10 days tackle it with the pen tool.
You are the second person to recommend Quick Mask to me. I find Quick Mask gives me a very untidy mask, so much so that I end up using the pen tool anyway to clean it up afterwards.

This is why I go right for the pen tool. I'd rather just do it once.

I bought Fluid Mask and Mask One Pro and have finally figured out how to mask hair fairly easily in Fluid Mask. That is, provided the background isn't too busy.

I wish I hadn't bought Mask One Pro though. Too late now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2009, 12:35 AM

I am about to bare my soul to you and the world letting slip my dirty little secret. I have been around this stuff a long time and feel that I am at least average. I have to Tablets and I'll be damned if I could EVER get used to that &*$#&&# thing. I have at least averate dexterity and hand-eye corodination but I am so used to the mouse and the tablet frustrates me so there they sit on a shelf in my rolltop desk.

Man that does feel good, I've been living with that skeleton in the closet for a long time.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2009, 01:16 AM

about 2 days, adapted really well to my style i guess
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2009, 03:17 PM

I have 2 Wacom tablets [intuos3 9x12 and intuos4 small], to be honest, i love those tablets, but i know i need much longer time than you all people, because i am not good in using those things, the only thing i am good enough is the mouse, but i am not typing fast, even i must look at keyboard to type, i used the pen on the tablet of that large one and it is really Hell, i got tired to move my hand all that space active area, then with my new small tablet it was better, i like it and i got used to it a bit but i feel the only issue is that the pen is so sensitive so with any click i do a lot of troubles, so that i didn't use it, i was going to delete files or replace files because of that high sensitivity of the pen so that i stopped to use it, dragging the files or icons on the desktop is what making me to not get used for the pen, but otherwise this device making workflow is more fun and easier no doubt, i may try to have fun with some photos and use the tablet again to get used to it, and maybe i have to adjust my tablet to be more stable and comfortable for my needs.

By the way, i just got my 2 tablets within 2 months ago, very new to tablets.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2009, 10:02 PM

It took me about a week, and since then, I don't even have a mouse anymore. A guy I used to work with couldn't stand to use his tablet while making paths with the pen tool, so he used his mouse for that and the tablet for everything else. It's not an issue for me though.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware