RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Laptop suggestions to run CS4

Old 04-23-2009, 10:20 AM

Newbie Laptop suggestions to run CS4

I knew it would happen eventually, but my HP ZD8110 is dying a slow death. I’m surprised I’ve gotten nearly 4 years out of it.

Anyway, I need a replacement. I am looking to do a MAJOR career change and learn Photoshop well enough to start a photo retouching and restoration business. Not any time soon, since I’m learning in my free time, but still a consideration.

I’m looking for a laptop that will comfortably run Adobe CS4. I’m not too concerned with battery life since I wouldn’t use it for more than an hour or so anywhere I took it where I would need the battery. My main requirement is running Adobe CS4 efficiently. I will use a Wacom tablet when possible. Any suggestions on brand & model?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2009, 10:32 AM

Re: Laptop suggestions to run CS4

In computing there's actually no such thing as a 'slow death' - there's either a fast death, your hard drive goes, or there's software problems - conflicts, buildup of junk, and Microsoft deciding to automatically upgrade your operating system to beyond what your processor and RAM can cope with.

I suggest buying your first mac, you'll never regret it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2009, 10:46 AM

Not so.
Slow death = LCD gathering vertical lines… slowly. It’s too expensive to simply replace the LCD. It’s been out of the extended warranty for 7 months. There’s no telling what will fail after the LCD.

Yeah, I had an iBook for 4 years and it was the best computer I have ever had, hardware-wise. I also collected older Macs. I didn't switch to Windows, BTW. I'm a linux guru. I’m guessing to comfortably run CS4 I would need a MacBook Pro. If the MacBooks of today are as high quality as that iBook I bought in 2001, I am already sold on one. Now my bank account… that’s another story :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2009, 11:42 AM

Remember also when factoring in price to take into account what you will save in terms of pain, hassle, the increased durability, wear and tear, and your ease and pleasure in using it. Your MacBook pro screen most probably won't pack up after four years. By the way, the one problem I have with the current MacBooks is that the screens are too reflective so you need to check that this doesn't bother you, especially if color is an issue. The way things stand at the moment (April 2009) hardware, and more importantly than that in terms of software (OS and provided software) you'll be a lot better off with a mac.

The only qualification to this advice is I suppose if you wanted to use your computer to play games.

Last edited by Markzebra; 04-23-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2009, 12:03 PM

You can run windows on macs so you could play any game you want provided your hardware can handle it.

I would also recommend getting a mac. If you're planning to make it your career you can make it your first big tax write off.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2009, 08:54 AM

I am torn between an iMac and a MacBook Pro. What would you recommend? If the MacBook Pro, should I get the 17" or would the 15" be sufficient? I may get the iMac since you get a bigger screen and good graphics and memory. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2009, 09:52 AM

Get the 15'' and upgrade the RAM to 4 gb (not necessary, but definitely faster and smoother). Later, when you can justify it, get an external monitor to plug in the 15'' for space if nothing else. the extra 2 inches won't make enough of a difference in the meantime compared to the advantage of an extra monitor. Just buy the RAM off the internet and install yourself (it will come to like 80.00 or so).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2009, 11:16 AM

Depends on what its for. Don't buy a macbook if its going to sit on your desk all the time, you are paying a premium for portability. If you are doing imaging work then as the last poster said it might be better to consider another monitor.

RAM is the main thing that will contribute to speed of use. The new imacs I heard can be upgraded up beyond 4 gigs. The only thing against the imacs in my opinion is that I've seen some of the last generation who's screens were inconsistant, I mean slightly different gamma top to bottom, so watch this. Consider also a mac pro, or even a mac mini where you can have a separate monitor.

Remember that Photoshop CS4 is now MORE efficient than older versions, on machines but needs decent graphics cards to use the new Open GL features.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2009, 04:26 PM

Running two different laptop setup.
1: Macbook pro 15". The new one with 4gb ram. Great if you got the money and can live with OSX. The downside is if you running a lot of apps that aren't avalible for mac.
2: Thinkpad T60 Workstation. PC with top end performance, as expensive as the macbook but with a quality feeling that are next to excellent. I like them both and with CS4 they are both great performers. But for more qualified jobs, I still use my desctop PC, just for more memory and better screen.

BAW
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2009, 05:08 PM

" and can live with OSX" that's a very typical ignorant comment from a PC user who clearly doesn't know what they are talking about, hasn't bothered to learn OSX properly, or doesn't actually own a mac at all.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware