RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Monitor question...can you help?

Old 08-05-2009, 04:50 PM

Monitor question...can you help?

I just invested in a new desktop, laptop, and printer. I am also getting some new camera gear. I picked up a monitor knowing it wasn't really the caliber I wanted, but what I could afford at the time and what the salesman shot me for a price with the other stuff. It is a HP w2338h 23-inch Diagonal 16:9 Full HD Widescreen Monitor. I am also planning to pickup a x-rite colormunki calibration kit to replace my old Panavision Spyder that doesn't work on flatscreens, only CRT's. I haven't even opened the monitor yet, but should I have spent a couple of hundred more on something else? What would you suggest for a couple hundred more plus the price the monitor that came?

Would the HP w2338h calibrate up adequately for good color demands with retouching? If it were you, would you return the HP w2338h and get something else? Thanks! I appreciate your candid feedback.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2009, 05:29 PM

Re: Monitor question...can you help?

Any thoughts/comments about the HP LP2475W 24in
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Any thoughts/comments about the HP LP2475W 24in
I've read good things. I've used (smaller) HP monitors in the past, and liked them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2009, 08:33 PM

Jon,
My advise, for what it is worth...

The quality of the monitor you choose depends as much on so many other factors, only you can weigh them together to determine your price point. You must also consider the following:
> The quality of your viewing environment.
- is the light level and color temperature correct;
- are the walls and other reflective elements neutral;
- do you use a hood with your LCD/monitor;
- do you view your prints in a booth/light box;
> The quality of your images.
- are the images of sufficient quality (from a pro-level camera).
- are the images to be used for reprint or other professional purposes.
> Are you going to work in a complete color managed environment.
- will you be calibrating all of your input and output devices (scanners, printers).
> What is your profession. Do you do photography or retouch for a living.

And the list goes on and on.....

...and, you must ask yourself, are you a professional retoucher or photographer? Will you be doing this for a living? Do others depend on your work originating from pro level gear?

If so, upgrade the monitor, just as you would your camera. You could spend a couple of hundred more for another commercial quality LCD/monitor. But, don't do that either.

If not, and you are doing this for a hobby or hoping to become recognized as a photographer, you should be happy with a monitor that is reliable, meets your budget and can be calibrated easily. For $250, if it fails in two years, you can buy another.

The HP monitors are certainly not professional level devices. They would rank with any other commercial quality monitor from Dell, Gateway, Samsung, and even NEC. They do not compare with Eiso or the likes. But, HP does not publish many of the more complicated details of their monitors, like you could find with Eiso. So, there is no way to actually compare apples to apples. The higher end monitors work hard to develop hardware to ensure the display produces very even tones from the center to extreme edges. They also build in additional hardware to allow the monitor to calibrate internally and at higher bit depth, rather than depend on your graphic card. All of this raises the price. But, you generally get what you pay for with these higher end monitors.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2009, 08:59 PM

Thanks TommyO for your lengthy reply. I'm a professional portrait photography that depends on a professional color lab for my print processing. http://www.millerslab.com

I work in sRGB color environment. I retouch all my own images unless I get in over my head on a job, and then I would farm it out. I use a Canon 1Ds and will be buying a 5DmkII before too long. My website: Nylen Photography

I'm just interested in staying as close to lab calibration as is possible and I know that I can't be calibrated exactly to them because it just is not in the realm of possibilities unless I owned my own printer and calibrated my monitor against my printer. I appreciate your reply and will consider all aspects of what you presented.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2009, 10:27 PM

i am a professional digital retoucher and highly recommend the Eizo's graphics line, very sharp, bright, banding is minimal and doesn't have the casting like some of the lower end monitors, it is pretty true all the way across. I am currently on a NEC Multisync 3090 30", not really impressed but pretty good and huge.

remember, if you are doing a lot of internat stuff for people to view on there own home systems, the monitors won't generally be calibrated or even close and they are stuck in there living room with tv's and other stuff reflecting in the monitor, so buy wisely.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2009, 12:31 AM

Thanks for the thanks !

I have a much clearer picture of your needs now. And, after looking at your portfolio, I would certainly recommend obtaining a higher end monitor. Your work is very good, your reputation seems to be growing, as is your web presence, you just cannot afford to cheapen down after purchasing new camera gear. Once you have that new LCD, you'll wonder why you didn't buy it sooner, and you'll never go back.

So, I recommend upgrading. You know the ropes of business and can determine the proper depreciation for the capital expense. This will help you, not hurt you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I'm just interested in staying as close to lab calibration as is possible and I know that I can't be calibrated exactly to them because it just is not in the realm of possibilities unless I owned my own printer and calibrated my monitor against my printer.
I'm not sure I agree with that statement. In a closed loop environment, yes you could consider calibrating to a printer. Not many of us ever are in such an environment - we work in an open loop environment. So, we calibrate to known standards - the LCD to a standard, the printer to a standard, the scanner to a standard. I can't imagine the print shop expecting to receive images that are prepped for them; that's their job, to examine, test, proof - get it right. You may not be able to afford to do their job and yours . But, if you use just the one printer and consider it a closed loop, then feel free.

So, maybe the next step is... which high-end monitor ? There are plenty of threads right here on RetouchPro you can search.

One more idea that could save you a few bucks. The trend is to get that nice 24 or 26 inch model so you can get all the pallets on there along with a good size image. You can do dual monitors, keeping the image on the high-end calibrated LCD, the pallets on the other. You drop from needing a $2500 26 incher to a $1200 dollar 21 incher. I think we've all worked in dual monitor mode at some point, and it's not bad at all. Everything has its +'s and -'s.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware