RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

my 1st post..red cast on Lacie 324/CS4 RGB to CMYK

Old 08-11-2009, 05:27 PM

Re: my 1st post..red cast on Lacie 324/CS4 RGB to

i'm curious why you use "convert to profile" instead of a standard conversion to cmyk...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2009, 07:54 PM

hi MarkZebra:

"And that your Color Sync application is picking up the correct profiles also."

I'm aware of "Display Preferences" which I use to set the Apple display profile.
I use the Lacie Blue Eye software to activate the profile for Lacie.

I'm not aware of using Color Sync app for profiles.

So I opened Color Sync application and asked it to verify my profiles.
It told me that 11 were in need of repair. All were related to my Epson 1280 printer, two of which were custom profiles - that I had made - to better match my present LCD monitor and an old CRT to prints from said printer.
I then did a repair which repaired these two profiles only, others could not be fixed.
Is there more I should know about Color Sync app on Mac?

Displays, Arrangement, and selected profiles all have been re-checked and all are good.

Open the same file in CS3 & CS4 RGB mode. Line the up one on top of other. Have both files big on screen.
On iMac display files look identical when comparing CS 3 & 4 in either soft proof on (with Monitor RGB) or off.
When comparing Monitor RGB to soft proof off (command Y), again both are identical in that there is a loss of saturation in the reds which makes the skin tone more yellow and slightly flatter.
On Lacie 324 again both look identical - flipping between CS3 & 4.
in soft proof off only.
When applying Monitor RGB, CS3 looses the red saturation which makes the skin tone more yellow and slightly flatter.
In CS4 this change seems more intense. Comparing Monitor RGB soft proof mode between CS3 & 4 is exhibiting the same difference that I would see
between Monitor RGB and soft proof off in CS3 alone.
CS4 version is noticeably redder than CS3.
I was told by Lacie that the 324 will show a wider gamut in the reds and greens as compared to Apple.
I've done a screen grab that shows this difference. Grab was done on Lacie monitor using CS3 & 4, soft proof off/on.
hope I done everything correctly. I'm including this grab to try to make my descriptions less subjective. I realize browsers etc. will change colors but at least the differences between the images remains.
thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monitor soft proof.jpg (96.2 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2009, 08:26 PM

Hey PixelZombie, I did because someone who I thought knew more than me, told me to do it. I used to go to Image-Mode and change from there. But when I think about it using Convert to Profile does give you the option to specifically change within the mode you are changing to (web coated or sheet fed for CMYK for example). Both ways accomplish the same thing - one with the options exposed. Hope this helps.
cheers n.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2009, 08:58 PM

… makes no difference to the WAY it converts, just allows you to choose options without changing your basic preferences. So its a compeletely distracting point.

Last edited by Markzebra; 08-11-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2009, 09:04 PM

Ok main topic - this is all getting very complex, feel like a kid getting that Rubics cube …*your description is quite difficult to understand if you don't mind me saying, especially because you are copying and pasting, and line breaks are confusing things.

The screen shot is fairly arbitary because it shows the same RGB colors in CS3 and 4 which is exactly what i would expect to see - proofing monitor RGB is maybe VERY subtly yellower in CS3 for some reason? There are no CMYK colors here and the main difference you were reporting, was to do with the way it was displaying CMYK colors I thought.

NOW - the most important line you have written, you are talking here about the LaCie …
Quote:
Comparing Monitor RGB soft proof mode between CS3 & 4 is exhibiting the same difference that I would see > between Monitor RGB and soft proof off in CS3 alone.
THIS line doesn't make any sense - and is confusing things for me hugely.

You'll have to try again I'm sorry.

Let me explain - SOFT PROOFING is merely a change to the way photoshop displays your colors. When you choose "monitor RGB" its using the MONITOR PROFILE directly to display.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2009, 09:33 PM

I apologize. I will have to re think my presentation to you. I need to get some work out the door. May have to get back to you in a couple of days. Thank you for hanging in. Please look out for new message. Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadaman View Post
Hey PixelZombie, I did because someone who I thought knew more than me, told me to do it. I used to go to Image-Mode and change from there. But when I think about it using Convert to Profile does give you the option to specifically change within the mode you are changing to (web coated or sheet fed for CMYK for example). Both ways accomplish the same thing - one with the options exposed. Hope this helps.
cheers n.
i only ask as "converting to profile" is normally done with an output profile, "US web coated" is a working space..converting in such a manner will produce different colors than simply going from RGB to CMYK
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2009, 10:16 PM

… that depends on what you have in color settings. Convert To Profile command does nothing different to Image/mode/CMYK - it just gives you the direct conversion options and allows you to customize them per document. The definition of 'working space' just means whatever your document happens to be in, its usually refers to RGB working spaces. CMYK profiles are always specific, and US web coated is not an arbitary 'working space'.

Quote:
converting in such a manner will produce different colors than simply going from RGB to CMYK
Not true - depends on your color settings Edit/Color settings if you have never discovered them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2009, 10:21 PM

Food for thought for everyone:

- does the NVidia 8800GS support dual LUT's;
- does the LaCie 324 have an internal LUT, or does it use the graphic cards'.

Sorry, but I'm on the road and cannot look up all the spec's today.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
… that depends on what you have in color settings. Convert To Profile command does nothing different to Image/mode/CMYK - it just gives you the direct conversion options and allows you to customize them per document. The definition of 'working space' just means whatever your document happens to be in, its usually refers to RGB working spaces. CMYK profiles are always specific, and US web coated is not an arbitary 'working space'.

Not true - depends on your color settings Edit/Color settings if you have never discovered them.

even when i use the same rendering intent, the 2 conversions don't match exactly..granted it's only a percent in one or more channels
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware