Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

8 GB ram help using Adobe CS4 ?

Old 08-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Re: 8 GB ram help using Adobe CS4 ?

cof geeks talk cof
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2009, 12:14 PM

yes it is safe to use a scratch disk, and yes you can safe some others files in there, as long as there mot the same files that your currently are in use bay photoshop o other sortware.

my suggestion not to do it, remember a hard drive it only have one head to read a drive, and that head will be in constantly use by ps while photoshop is open.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2009, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by jtd131 View Post
Wow, thanks guys.. Quantum, thats really amazing. I can't believe I never heard of that before! Is it very safe to use a scratch disk? (i.e., if you save a file and it is open and your external harddrive fails..) Also, does the hd have to be completely free from other files for scratch disk use? It seems like you could just put something in your computer if its small as a 40 gb hd or something
The scratch disk should be as faster as possible in order to work properly. RAM always been the fatest reading/writting support for all the stuff you do in your computer. SCSI diks will not improve the performance as much as RAM does. I don't know how faster is a disk like that, but RAM is always much faster and it's the only way to take advantage of all your computer's cores because the RAM speed.
Will not matter how much things you have in your external disk (i.e. SCSI), of course, the amount of files should be the half of the total size of your disk. Since the file is red from any kind of HD, performance goes down quite a lot. HD speed is constant, whichever be the file size.
When the HD is being used as scratch, it behaves like RAM and also, the scratch disk is not used all the way. The scracth disk is just for swaping files between the RAM and the scratch disk mostly. When the RAM is full, the OS copy some files to the scratch disk in order to make some room in the RAM, then, that new empty space is filled with new data, then, the OS may need to copy the same data which was copied to the scracth disk again to the RAM and the cycle begins again. There is a help thing in the Mac Help which talks about that. And it's much more clear than what I'm writting here. However, free RAM will work like scratch disk too, but it always faster.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-24-2009, 12:09 AM

in any intel based machine, your SYSTEM ram can only be addressed and thus accessed up to three gigabytes, so even if you have four or 6 or 8, you will only, ever be able to use three. that's in a 32 bit system.

in a 64 bit system, where the motherboard and the operating system are both 64 bit, you can address a LOT more, as in more than any manufacturer is currently putting on their motherboards.

the reason for this is the BYTE size. in the old 8 bit machines, a byte was king. it was 8 bits long. a bit is the smallest unit of digital information. 8 bits = 1 byte. so, everything was done in bytes. a byte could be liked to a word in a language and a bit could be likened to a letter. so, all computing in those days was done in bytes.

but, that's like saying that the numbering system can only go as high as 255. in reality, the numbering system is infinite, but computers could only easily count to 255 (0 to 255). when things went to 16 bits, they stuck two bytes (16 bits) together and counted them as one. now, the numbering system could easily count to 16 places in binary where before it could only count to 255 or 8 places.

and, then things went to 32 bit. now, the computer could easily count to 32 places and that's what most have today, 32 bit. but, that limits your system ram to something like four billion bytes of storage space, but, if i remember correctly, some of that is reserved and not available to the user. also, four billion bytes is not 4 gigs; it's less than four.

so, if you go to a 64 bit motherboard and 64 bit operating system, you can access a whole lot more ram. my new machine has the space on the motherboard for 12 gigs. i have 6 gigs installed. it's a 64 bit motherboard and a 64 bit operating system.

ram is your normal workspace. it's VERY fast. the central processor or cpu does the actual computing (mostly, though that's changing now) and ram holds the data to be computed and the results of those computations. but, because ram is limited and programs are large and files are large, the computer can 'borrow' your harddrive and treat it like ram or parts of it that arent being used and that have been set up to do this. in a windows system, this is the 'swap file' or virtual ram or one of a few other names, but it's basically just space on your harddrive that's been allocated by windows for the purpose of supplying more workspace. but, harddrives are MUCH slower than ram and arent connected as closely to the cpu as ram is, thus using swap files slows things down a bit and can even cause crashes as things start to back up in the queue.

but, a swap file is still better than no space to work at all. some folks like to dedicate whole harddrives to the swap file. this is mostly worthless unless you're working with truly gigantic files on the order of many, many gigabytes, but, some folks like it just for the order it brings to the system and their own minds. so, ok.

there are more things to consider than just ram, as well. your computer is a system. it all works pretty much together. your cpu speed, how much ram, what type of ram (yes, type makes a difference), your video card processor, video card ram (this is NOT system ram), your motherboard's various buss speeds, 32 bit motherboard or 64 bit, how many cores your cpu has, your harddrive speed (yes, this can vary) and perhaps more, but those are the common factors. and that's just the hardware side of things.

on the software side, your operating system, 32 bit or 64, your swap file size, which version of windows or mac o/s you're using, how many programs you have running at one time, how many services/processes you have running and how many of those things are demanding resources at any given time.

for the software side of things, you can help yourself out quite a bit at times. if you're running a windows system, go to and see what junk you can permanently turn off in windows, what stuff you can have only turn on when needed and called for and what must always be on. you might be surprised at what you find hiding in windows that you really dont need.

also, to help speed up any system that's been running for a while, try defragging your harddrive(s). basically, what that does is take all the data that's scattered all over your harddrive(s) and rearrange it more logically so that it can all be accessed much quicker. it can make a fair difference at times, especially if you havent done it in a year and your drive(s) are over half full.

also, dont neglect your video card. this is an area that keeps expanding at a rapid rate. in the last two years the ram on the video cards has probably quadrupled if not more and in some of the newer systems, i believe there is a fundamental change in the way the cpu and vid card work together, with the cpu handing off more and more of the true video chores to the vid card. this can significantly speed up a system.

also, there are several different types of video cards these days. there's the old pci type, which, yes, you can still buy. there's agp (dont ask me what all those names stand for or mean ), which was fairly good and there's the newer pci-e, which is very fast. you also have sli, which is sort of like having multiple cores in a cpu. sli means having more than one video card. they split the monitor into two or more areas and one card each handles each area. these are VERY fast!

so, computer speed isnt a function of any one part; it's the function of ALL the parts working together. thus, you can increase one piece of hardware by a considerable amount, but that wont necessarily increase the speed across the system if the other hardware cant handle the extra speed. so, it's a bit of a trick, sometimes, to find what that one thing is that will help your computer speed up the most. the computer industry is still expanding and will continue to do so for a while. there are technologies being explored that are truly revolutionary, including organic and lightwave.

my best recommendation is, if your computer is over three years old, dont upgrade; buy new. you'll get increases across the board rather than just a little here and there.

Last edited by Craig Walters; 09-19-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 10:16 PM

Very informative and to the point. Thank you Craig. You made what my husband has been talking about more real for me. It always helps to have things explained in multiple ways. It makes for clearer understanding.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2009, 06:27 PM

you're welcome, janet. always glad to help

and thanks for responding. always nice when i write a book that someone says 'thanks'
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware