RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Eizo experience help

Old 09-15-2009, 09:53 AM

Eizo experience help

If anyone here has any experience with the shitty CE line of monitors...maybe you can guide me in the right path...

i have the ce210w at home, and calibrate it with the latest CE software, and eyeone display 2. settings that i find most reasonable are btwn 80-100, 6000K, and 2.2.

now that should give me a pretty well balanced profile, but my monitor is lacking red...so everything has a weak and greenish tint to it. i've profiled it many different ways but the lack of warm tones especially red is consistent.

--i've read to delete all old profiles and profiling software so there's no conflict..,,,,trying that at the moment. i know this monitor sucks but there has to be some conflict here, theres no way the color can be that off....at work i use the CG211 so i'm used to seing awesome color for 10 hours a day, then i go home and it's totally off.........any help or even suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2009, 09:55 PM

Re: Eizo experience help

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR1156 View Post
If anyone here has any experience with the shitty CE line of monitors...maybe you can guide me in the right path...

i have the ce210w at home, and calibrate it with the latest CE software, and eyeone display 2. settings that i find most reasonable are btwn 80-100, 6000K, and 2.2.

now that should give me a pretty well balanced profile, but my monitor is lacking red...so everything has a weak and greenish tint to it. i've profiled it many different ways but the lack of warm tones especially red is consistent.

--i've read to delete all old profiles and profiling software so there's no conflict..,,,,trying that at the moment. i know this monitor sucks but there has to be some conflict here, theres no way the color can be that off....at work i use the CG211 so i'm used to seing awesome color for 10 hours a day, then i go home and it's totally off.........any help or even suggestions would be appreciated.
I can't help you in that but CE models are not as great as CG, i went with CG222W and it is great!
I use Spyder3Elite, why not buy this one and try? Also can you reset the monitor to default and starting to calibrate with another calibration than Eizo one from beginning? Did you hear that there are CE monitors working properly with colors? if so then it is wrong with you, if not then don't blame the crap monitor, it can't do better anyway.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2009, 04:02 AM

I had a similar problem a while ago, and I have a similar situation to you: CG241W at home and also at work. Following calibration I would get a major colour discrepancy between the two monitors.

It turned out that my eyeone display at home was faulty. My supplier replaced it with a new one and... problem solved.

SK
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2009, 08:44 AM

steve, how do you like working on the 241w? have you worked on a cg210/211 ever? the cg 210 or 211 (newer model) are the only eizo's that i ever liked and felt were worth the money. ce series is old technology and a very lowend option...unfortunately i didn't know better when i was setting up at home years ago.

i'm curious about the 241w if anyone has one....bc it's roughly the same price as the 211...and is 24". the 210 has by far the best angle views that i've seen, and i'm not sure about the 241....but for me that's not a big deal bc it will be a home machine and i won't have anyone sitting with me, accurate color and wide gamut are what matters most to me.

tareq, i looked at the 222, but i'm not sure it's wide enough...

there's a new model on the market outside of the US which looks awesome, http://www.eizo.com/global/products/...43w/index.html

but it's like 3500 or something.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2009, 09:38 AM

In my opinion Eizo's are overrated. I've heard people say that the high end ones are very good (I seem to remember Chris Tarrantino recommending them). But gamut - and that means the total RANGE of colour that they are capable of representing can be limited certainly on the lower range ones. You are talking about reds, yes they in particular can be impossibly undersaturated, I have experienced this first hand. I'm just using my own personal, and perhaps limited, experience on this subject.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2009, 09:55 AM

hey mark..

I have only worked on apple 20/23" displays, eizo CE series, and eizo CG series (210 / 211) so my experience with monitors is limited....but i must say the 210/211 is the only monitor i have ever been absolutely positive about. my color is dead on at work, proofing epsons as well as fuji finals....fuji i have to calibrate it to match the yellowish tinted paper.

the viewing angles are what sells this monitor to highend retouching houses as clients sit with retouchers they see what we see, even at odd angles.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2009, 12:15 PM

Yeah well whether your color is dead on, is more a question of good profiling. I mean a really accurate monitor profile, and a top notch output profile. If you are changing the MONITOR profile to try and match yellow stock then that's a strange, and not recommended approach. Accurate CMYK profiles made using software such as Profile Reader, which are Stock specific - you can get an extremely good on screen match between monitor and print, I have seen this using many different and some less respected monitors. In this environment you really CAN judge different monitors side by side.

Yes get your point about the viewing angles - but for my money what I've seen of Eizo's do, yes really clear subtle colour, but gamut is way out and profiling is obscure and badly designed. I maybe have never used one of the top range ones to judge.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2009, 01:08 PM

sorry i wrote that wong, my monitor profile is not adjusted to match my print, that wouldn't make sense.

printer profile compensates for it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
In my opinion Eizo's are overrated. I've heard people say that the high end ones are very good (I seem to remember Chris Tarrantino recommending them). But gamut - and that means the total RANGE of colour that they are capable of representing can be limited certainly on the lower range ones. You are talking about reds, yes they in particular can be impossibly undersaturated, I have experienced this first hand. I'm just using my own personal, and perhaps limited, experience on this subject.
i've used one of the CG series and i am now on an apple cinema display and i have to agree with you, they are overrated..the CG is nice but i couldn't get over how expensive it was...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2009, 08:06 PM

yes they're very expensive and over priced....but is there any alternative to that level of quality?

i'm curious what you guys use, workwise / homewise? are you guys freelancers and bounce around from setup to setup?

i have a retoucher friend of mine in ny that swears by eizo and nothing else, and another friend who is looking into NEC's higher end model for like 1200.00

would love to hear your opinion on the NEC or any other monitors that you have worked on and like.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware