RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Computer shutdowns while playing games.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:10 AM

Computer shutdowns while playing games.

First of all - Hello everyone.

Here is my problem.
It's simple - when i'm playing new* games, computer sometimes shutdowns.

Here is what i have:

Phenom II 910
Asus M4A78 Pro
Gainward GTS 250
2gb kingston hyperx
Chieftec 4xxW powersuply.
UPS Mustek 424
2 sata hdds, bunch of usb devices...
Win Xp64

When computer is connected to UPS, and i'm playing something there is a sound from inside computer...cant locate if its on motherboard, on graphics card... something like BZZP, and everything goes down. I cant turn on my comp until i turn ups off and back on.
When i'm not using UPS, game just locks, while sound still playing (looped). Sometimes i'm able to get into taskmanager and kill the game, but that's rare.

I had saome crappy LC Power powersuply and this problem was really intesive, then i found some old Chieftec which is declared to around 430W max, try it, and it works little better, but the problem remains.

I had Radeon 3850, and had the same problem.

* = this means that old games (and some newer, like left3dead) i play work perfectly. Arma2, Dirt, N4S games does not....
Also, i experienced this type of crash when i was using Linux with all desktop-eye-candy and graphics acceleration on.

I guess this is power related...
So, will getting new, more powerfull power supply solve this?

-----------------
recette cuisine elle

Last edited by Dreammama; 10-28-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2009, 11:04 AM

Re: Computer shutdowns while playing games.

hi,
my 2 cents worth..

1. first with games... your high powered games are generally resource hogs so i would suggest definitly disable all your needless startup programs they use up your cpu performance and ram...

2. power supply.. 450 watts.. don't know what kind of power.. manufacturers play games with the power ratings just like they do with speaker ratings.. smiling... you might want to take a look at this article
http://compreviews.about.com/od/cases/a/PSUWattage.htm and from that what you are actually getting...

now you mentioned you have a bunch of usb device hooked up... plus you have 2 internal hard drives..... those usb devices are also a load on your power supply and hence they could be a factor.. in which if it is then either put them on a power usb hub or a larger power supply ...

in summerary.... right now barring other info.. i would look at putting a larger power supply I would thinnk that would do it but there no guarentee also.. when i got my current system i made sure that i had at least 450 avg power (peaked at 600) ... which is fine for my old p4 but the next system will probably have at least 500 if not 600 avg power... since ifgure i''l have more usb devices hooked and and higher wattage requirements for the hard drive and such..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreammama View Post

Here is my problem.
It's simple - when i'm playing new* games, computer sometimes shutdowns.

Here is what i have:

Phenom II 910
Asus M4A78 Pro
Gainward GTS 250
2gb kingston hyperx
Chieftec 4xxW powersuply.
UPS Mustek 424
2 sata hdds, bunch of usb devices...
Win Xp64

When computer is connected to UPS, and i'm playing something there is a sound from inside computer...cant locate if its on motherboard, on graphics card... something like BZZP, and everything goes down. I cant turn on my comp until i turn ups off and back on.
When i'm not using UPS, game just locks, while sound still playing (looped). Sometimes i'm able to get into taskmanager and kill the game, but that's rare.

I had saome crappy LC Power powersuply and this problem was really intesive, then i found some old Chieftec which is declared to around 430W max, try it, and it works little better, but the problem remains.

I had Radeon 3850, and had the same problem.

* = this means that old games (and some newer, like left3dead) i play work perfectly. Arma2, Dirt, N4S games does not....
Also, i experienced this type of crash when i was using Linux with all desktop-eye-candy and graphics acceleration on.

I guess this is power related...
So, will getting new, more powerfull power supply solve this?

-----------------
recette cuisine elle
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2009, 04:25 PM

I would start by looking into a possible heat problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreammama View Post
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2009, 07:20 AM

It can be a heat problem, as the moderator says or also a electricity. I had same problems when installed an ATI FX1950Pro with a 350 Watts supply. Games used to crash the system and my PC broke. After that, the PC Fixer did something in the power supply that incremented the energy and the problem was solved. However, heating problems shuts down the system in order to avoid permanent damage. You also have XP64 and games are meant to be played in 32 bits, that may be the problem too. The latest games are too exigent in terms of hardware, you should check the cooler of the processor, it should be quite noisy while you play. If that happens, then you need a faster processor. I have a MacPro of eight cores with an Nvidia 8800 GT and every single game runs like a charm at full resolution and full visual settings with the highest anisotropic and antialiasing filters.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware