RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Memory not showing in Photoshop

Old 10-27-2009, 10:45 AM

Memory not showing in Photoshop

I have a PC desktop with 4GB RAM installed on it.
But when I open Photoshop and go to Preferences it shows only 1573MB available RAM. I use Windows XP.
Can anyone help me please?

Thanks,
ROY.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Patron

Re: Memory not showing in Photoshop

If you are running XP 32 bit then you may have 4GB of RAM but only a max of 3GB is user accessible. How much PS has access to is partly determined by your PS Preferences settings. However, PS can not be allocated all of it. This has been one of the major limitations of 32 bit operating systems. 64Bit H/W and OS's are rapidly becoming the norm now and they allow at least 8GB of RAM.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2009, 11:57 PM

A bit more clear, what Murray says is that the 32-bits Windows OS is only able to handle no more than 3 GB but per application, the thing changes, just 1,8 GB of RAM can be addressed by a 32-bits Widnows OS per application. In Mac OS at 32-bits it can be addressed 3,8 GB of RAM per application. 64-bits OS in Mac is able to address till 64 GB of RAM, don't know what about Windows.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2009, 11:26 PM

also, it shld be noted in 32 bit winxp that you can only address the 3 gigs IF you went to the microsoft site and got the patch that allows for that extra gig to be used. otherwise it's about 2 gigs max and part of that is being used by windows itself.

if you have 64 bit xp, then the max is much higher. it's basically a function of the byte size that limits the ram to X amount. you can see what the real numbers are if you know how to count in binary

this is all actually quite interesting now, since a lot of folks seem to be migrating to 64 bit systems more these days. and, with win7 now out and seemingly going to be one of microsoft's best, and with the increased power of the multiple core machines and the increased need for higher and higher resolutions, and with the new generation of much more powerful video cards, i expect to see a lot more folks go 64 bit. just be aware that there's still some applications that cant handle 64 bit yet. oddly, for example, adobe flash player has no 64 bit version yet and when you buy a 64 bit windows version, you get a 64 bit browser. so, when you go to a site with flash, it wont show in that browser. so, that's something to consider when moving to 64 bit. in most cases, however, there are workarounds. so, it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2009, 08:33 AM

As Kraellin said. There are lot of small programs not made for 64 bits which would pain the use of 64 bits. This is something very important to keep in mind. My girlfriend uodated his system to X-64 and it had more problems than benefits (even problems with the start up of her PC). Let see what about windows 7.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2009, 09:38 AM

hi ,
well my 2 cents worth...
just a overview...
1. the issue of 4 gig or 3 gigs... for a 32 bit system.. and it maxed out 4 gigs of ram, appx 900 meg of ram is reserved for various drivers!!!!! this 900 is a fixed amount and can not be change normally regardless wether you need the full 900 megs or not... but anyway that leaves yo with appx 3 gig of avail ram...!!

2. now as far as photoshop... at least with my cs1 it doesn't tell me accurately (by a big amount) what the avail ram is so i know that number is suspect ...

3. what i suggest... looking at... is your task manager (ctrl+del+del)
without ps being opend...... and to the performance tab... under physical memory.. that will tell you the full (total) l ram installed , if it show ony a max of appx 3 that ok... but it will also tell you the avail ram!!! this value it telling you is how much you have left in regular ram and how much been set aside for the cache ....

4. you may want to open up your ps and take notice how ram it uses when it open....!!! you maybe surprised...

5. now you may also want to take a look at the process tab.....
that will tell how much ram is being used by the various process... generally if there a issue of insufficient ram... this can give an idea of if there any programs that are using too much for reason or another....

note: a good idea always... is to disable all needless startup!! that frees up ram and also improve performance of the system

6. one final thought.... with older legacy programs or poorly designed programs ... they sometime when closed, the amount of ram they used doesn't always free up to become avail!!! this is called memory leakage...

and after long session this can effect system performance and the best bet is to just a fresh reboot..

any way that my 2 cents worth.... hopefully the info will give a better idea what going on and if there a really a problem or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalcanvas73 View Post
I have a PC desktop with 4GB RAM installed on it.
But when I open Photoshop and go to Preferences it shows only 1573MB available RAM. I use Windows XP.
Can anyone help me please?

Thanks,
ROY.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2009, 10:26 AM

With a mac, all these things don't happen. All just works... Highly consider buying one. I did it, and I'm so relaxed now I don't have to see the ram, the pagefile, the processor, the subprocess and such. The fiunny thing is that defragmenting the HD, cealning the PC, shutting down programs and subprocess don't solve the performance problems.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2009, 02:06 PM

I am currently working with Windows XP, and wish to upgrade as my CS4 and Corel Painter 11 is running slowly (as well as a couple of other graphic programs) - even after increasing RAM, defragging and reformatting! Yes I'm aware that a 32 bit has its limitations.

But which OS will be best for me...for graphics, art, and photographic? A PC with i7 or iMac with i5?

Reading many reviews there appears the difference has come a lot closer now with the release of Windows 7. But I feel a tad nervous given the success (not) of Vista. I have used Mac before and do like the system, however all of my current software is PC.

So then I could run Windows on a Mac as well....but what is the advantages....cos then I'm in a Windows environment and may as well be on a PC!

Confused? Yep! My main objective is speed and reliability. So any ideas would be gratefully received?

Rob
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2009, 02:25 PM

Thumbs up Re: Memory not showing in Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Quill View Post
I am currently working with Windows XP, and wish to upgrade as my CS4 and Corel Painter 11 is running slowly (as well as a couple of other graphic programs) - even after increasing RAM, defragging and reformatting! Yes I'm aware that a 32 bit has its limitations.

But which OS will be best for me...for graphics, art, and photographic? A PC with i7 or iMac with i5?

Reading many reviews there appears the difference has come a lot closer now with the release of Windows 7. But I feel a tad nervous given the success (not) of Vista. I have used Mac before and do like the system, however all of my current software is PC.

So then I could run Windows on a Mac as well....but what is the advantages....cos then I'm in a Windows environment and may as well be on a PC!

Confused? Yep! My main objective is speed and reliability. So any ideas would be gratefully received?

Rob
The first thing I considered when moving from my 12 years of being a PC User to the Mac Plataform was how the Mac manages the RAM.

There are not enough programs/plugins, nor estability in the 64-bits architecture, so I decided buying a Mac, because the amount of RAM addressed by the OS in Mac is 3,8 GB per application into a 32-bits OS. Windows, instead, just 1,8. I can bet you you will not need more than 3,8 GB or RAM. As photomanipulator, I edit lot of pictures taken with different camera models therefore, different sizes and never used more than 2,5-3,0 GB of RAM. Also, Photoshop doesn't uses all the CPU cores you may have. Most of the time it uses 1 or 2 cores. For rendering filters it uses all the cores available, but for brushing it doesn't, also, Liquify uses just 1 core. Most of the slowness of apps is because the way they were build.
I suggest you going to Mac, it's not just a matter of how it addresses the RAM, it's a whole big thing that I sincerely cannot describe in writting because it'¡s a lot. Also, don't be fooled by benchmarks because those don't describe the overal work and the real work of a computer such the performance and the efficiency (or/and speed and reliability). For example, when I bought the Mac, I got quite surprised when I printed a picture because it was the first pic which printed out with 100% of accuracy. In Windows, instead, I couldn't get a nice print never, but never, even using calibrators. In mac you don't need calibrators plus, eevry single application will show you exactly the same picture in PS, Bridge, Aperture, Lightroom, or whichever you choose. And of course, you can install Windows and use it without restarting the mac by using Parallels Desktop. However, Windows is not useful more than for playing video games.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2009, 03:02 PM

Thanks so much...finally some straight answers! Good point about the printing as I hadn't considered that and should have as pc printing has proven challenging to say the least! I'm off to a Mac store shortly, however I will be comparing prices with other suppliers.
I am surprised at the amount of RAM you use - given that I have 4 GB RAM now, and it's struggling. However I am in XP!
I just had a peek at your website...OMG....brilliant work! I am not at your level of expertise however finally I have a vision of where I want to go which is very similar to your work. It is just sometimes frustrating living in Australia as I have had great difficulty finding relevant teachers/courses etc.
Thanks again.
Rob
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware