RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Monitors, eizo/dreamcolor

Old 11-11-2009, 11:11 PM

Monitors, eizo/dreamcolor

Ive been kind of lurking around the forums, and i'm looking for a new monitor. Ive been researching every review, posts on retouch pro, etc...that I could find.

I am looking at these as an investment of a monitor i'll be able to use for a good while to come.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...idescreen.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...idescreen.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...fessional.html

I honestly am not sure which is better, I know Eizos are made for what I want to do. But I also see that the dreamcolor, that I hear good things about, has a higher contrast ratio, and the same amount of color.

Though I know that the 1 billion colors on the 243w, are only accessible if I have a display port graphics card...which I don't...though If I go with that I may look into it. I dont know if thats true, nor have I been able to find out, with the dream color.

241w appears to be smaller version of the 243, without the display port color, and with that the CE210 has the same amount of color as the 241w, but with a higher contrast...but it is also older. Though ive also heard a couple iffy things with the 241w about calibration and the like but yeah.

I've also looked at NEC's amongst other monitors but these just seem, from all that i've read, to outdo pretty much everything.

I am looking to do digital retouching, photography and the like.

Any thoughts would be fantastic, thank you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2009, 11:25 PM

Re: Monitors, eizo/dreamcolor

the Eizos are nice but way overpriced and the one we have at work has a narrow field of view which is real troublesome when a client is sitting next to you and trying to review an image...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2009, 11:55 PM

Good to know...an addendum to this...does anyone have any added monitors too look at?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2009, 03:25 AM

I can't add something here, but i have Eizo ColorEdge CG222W, it is great for my work and i am sure that 24" is great as well.
I hear that CG is the best models than CE, so avoid Eizo CE models and just look at CG models, and if i have the choice i will go with the first choice you posted no doubt.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2009, 07:52 AM

Think a minute... Are you thinking in top quality hardware the same time are you going to start photography and retouching? Is this right? Because if you're just starting at this, all that hardware will be out dated before you understand it. If this is the case, people always recommend going for something cheap, then upgrading as far as our experience requires that. My suggest, if this is the case, is going for something cheaper and upgrade as far as your experience need it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2009, 03:01 PM

Well its not that i'm "just" starting like now...I've been in the process of going to university for graphic/media design for almost 2 years, learning photoshop and design, and as well have been studying and learning about retouching etc...for a while now. And I have a friend who I am more or less mentoring under. So i'm not a "professional" just yet, i've lots of things to learn etc... However I am also not far away from graduation, and I love doing this, and I know its what I want to do. So i'm pushing myself.

And by the time I graduate...I might have a job with the friend mentoring me, but if that falls through, I am going to need to be able to be at the top of my game elsewhere, with the best portfolio I can manage, and though my current monitor needs to be calibrated better, I also know that it isn't anywhere close to what I need to do the best I can do.

I understand what you mean though, and I did put thought into that. But from what i've seen and read, if I go with the 243W, that should last me for a good long while, or at the least, i'll make it last. But for now since I CAN afford the best, I want the best. If I buy a cheaper one that's 900 - 1000 dollars...and 6 months later I go...I need something better....then in the end i'll have paid more, even if something comes out better...I'm sure I can make it do. But thank you Quantum, I appreciate the warning on it. Its something I have thought about.

And thank you Tareq that was where I was heading...

Last edited by Hephaestus; 11-13-2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Fixing typing
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2009, 03:10 PM

That's good. You should check the color gamut, bit of depth (and gray scale depth as well) of each monitor. For example, I red the spicifications of the EIZO monitors (not in the website you show) and they work with a color gamut a bit beyond Adobe RGB 1998 at 16 bits (they're also prepared to work at 16 bits in gray scale).

Here is something of what I'm talking about: http://dcuser.net/others/professiona...-lp2480zx.html

http://www.eizo.com/global/products/...ge/CMS/02.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2009, 03:57 PM

yeah I have been researching that, thanks for those links, I hadnt found that one on eizo, but I have looked at their area on the monitor itself, amongst several other reviews all over the web. The Hp and the Eizo seem similair but I think I like what I see and read about with the eizo more.

The stats seem similair except the hp has a higher contrast ratio...I think the hardware though in the eizo is better, and I hear better things about color uniformity on the eizo....I also like that it has a 5 year warranty over the 3 year hp....if I plan on using it for a long while.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware