RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Epson ink question

Old 11-16-2009, 07:55 AM

Epson ink question

Would keeping Ultrachrome inks in a refrigerator (or maybe even freezer) prolong life beyond the expiration date?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2009, 08:23 AM

Re: Epson ink question

Second question: How seriously should one pay attention to expiration dates? Has anybody printed with expired ink? How much beyond the exp. date?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2009, 10:27 AM

hi,
now this is my opinion..... and everyone has one smile...

first my thoughts when it comes to buying spares... i always try to plan ahead to where i am going to use that spare way before the experation date!!

2nd thought.. once you open the cartridge.. I always assume the shelf life is reduced! maybe a quater or half.... it helps keep me out of trouble....

now... the proper storage is in a nice cool place, now as far as a freezer.. I don't think so because... that will cause the case to shrink for sure and maybe cause pinpricks in the seals (that can happen if to warmalso ) and that can cause drying out of the ink.... a refrigerator... to me almost too cool.....! again i be leary ....

now another thing i do is to shake up the cartridge when in storage once in awhile... i do this on the asumption... that helps keeps the particulate matter from settling... I know with epson if there in the printer and not used for a couple of weeks that leading cause of inkjet clogging...!! in fact... epson recommends that the printer used at least once a week.. smiling.. unless youhave one of the newer espon printers that automatically, when turn on it goes thru a cleaning routine (that shakes up but also uses up a lot of ink)

how long of a shelf life... that 24 month.. is just a guarantee by the manufacutrer that it still be usefull..... there no definitive documentation on how long the ink is usable beyound that.. a lot of antidodial reports of maybe year or even 2 or 3 years beyound experation but a lot of that depends on how it was stored..

myself... one time i did, i forgot to look at the experation... and i used one that was 8 months beyound and fortuately it work fine...

those are my thoughts
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2009, 07:56 PM

Hey, thanx. Research elsewhere told me that refrigeration is useless, either way. As you said, it looks like the date can be ignored, somewhat, as long as you shake the cartridges a little. The stuff is expensive, so I don't want to throw away perfectly good color.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2009, 08:16 PM

hi,
your welcome... this for future reference.... and hopefully you will never have use it it... but if your epson
ever does get clogged jets.... there a special cleaner especially for cleaning epson inkjet... it fairly cheap.. a lot of place on the net they sell it or get it from any local epson reapir shop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
Hey, thanx. Research elsewhere told me that refrigeration is useless, either way. As you said, it looks like the date can be ignored, somewhat, as long as you shake the cartridges a little. The stuff is expensive, so I don't want to throw away perfectly good color.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2009, 08:34 AM

According to some friends at Epson, keep it at room temperature. Pay attention to the expiration dates - they are there for a reason, not a sales gimmick. Only buy what you will use before the expiration dates. The pigments in the newest inks are formulated in such a way that they are pushing the limits of working with the small droplet sizes. Hence, they are more sensitive to temperature than ever before. Also, they add glass beads to the pigment based inks. These facilitate mixing of the inks during print head movement. If you shake them up, that's fine, but you don't have to shake them hard. Just shake them gently every now and then.

Oh, and don't use the cleaner suggested on the newer print heads. The newer print heads have a special coating on them which repels the ink, to prevent clogging. The wrong cleaner may remove it and just make things worse.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware