RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Computer clock question

Old 06-07-2002, 10:46 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Computer question

I thought I'd post on this forum since I wasn't sure just where this one belonged. My computer is 5 months old, and I've had a problem with the clock keeping time since I've had it. If I set the clock, it might lose 2 hours or so in a period of one day. Is this a problem with the battery? If so, are there any special procedures to follow when changing a battery? It seems to me that I once heard it could cause problems of some sort if you didn't follow proper procedures. I'm off to bed. Goodnight all.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2002, 11:20 PM

Mine did the same thing and David figured it out. I believe it had something to do with the time zone that it was set for. Each time I turned it back on the time would automatically readjust itself to the time zone it was set for no matter how many times I reset the clock. Check the time zone by right clicking on the clock at the bottom of the screen and choose adjust Date and Time. In the Date and Time just below the calandar see if you have the time zone set correctly. Mine is set to Eastern Daylight Time. Yours might be central. If it's incorrect the click on the Time Zone tab and select your time zone in the drop down list. I believe that is what he did since I think the factory set their time zone prior to shipping.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2002, 11:20 PM

Sorry Ed, but I don't know. I'd like to know the answer though as my clock has been losing about 5 minutes per week. (Come to think of it, with the new mainboard I haven't noticed it, so perhaps I won't have to deal with that problem any more! )
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2002, 12:03 AM

I had a similar problem with my Gateway last year. Mine was losing a few miniutes each hour they finally fixed it by sending me a disk to upgrade the Bios. Now it's working perfectly. I don't know if it's the same problem you are having but that was mine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2002, 12:04 AM

Ed - If all else fails and you do suspect the battery, you need to write down ALL of your BIOS settings before removing the battery. To do that, you will need to access the BIOS setup when your PC boots up (usually achieved by hitting F1 at startup...or is it DELETE?...can't remember!). When done, pull the battery and replace with a new one. You will need to reenter your BIOS info when you reboot.

Your manual might have instructions as well.

Last edited by G. Couch; 06-08-2002 at 12:12 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2002, 12:08 AM

Greg (& Ed), I think most computers use DELETE to enter the BIOS setup, but some may use different keys. There's usually a message at the bottom of the screen telling you which key to hit to enter setup.
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2002, 02:49 AM

If you go the battery route Ed use an anti static band just in case. I never used to bother until I killed a hard drive.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2002, 03:42 AM

Ed,

Here is another angle to your lost time dilemma. I had a similar problem, but mine would jump to the future such as changing the time and the date randomly. One day I was in the year 2010. XP has this item called internet time and automatically checks the box synchronize time with net time server, and this is what was causing my problem. I unchecked the box, and so far my computer has kept accurate time as well as stayed in the current year.

To uncheck the box, double click your clock at the bottom right of your screen. You should see three tabs, click on the INTERNET TIME tab. Now make sure the box for AUTOMATICALLY SYNCHRONIZE WITH AN INTERNET TIME SERVER in unchecked. However, if you are regularly losing a set amount of time it sounds more like your battery.

Good Luck!

-T
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2002, 07:45 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Wow. Thanks for all the replies. I'll check the time zone, which I'm pretty sure is correct already. Then I'll uncheck the internet sync box, as this is checked. Anything much more than that, and I'll call Dell. It's under warranty. Thanks again for the help.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2002, 05:47 PM

I had problems with XP changing the year on me too, I'd log in and I'd get an error message about the year, and when I checked it would say 1901 for some reason. still not sure what caused that problem, but when I reloaded XP after a couple months I never had any problems.

- David
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware