RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Logitech mx1100 Mouse

Old 11-23-2009, 10:36 AM

Logitech mx1100 Mouse

Hi Guys,

I have a question as what other users are using for a pointing device,
I recently started getting some pains in top of my hand and shooting onto forearm, after changing my chair arm rest position and moving my mouse onto the bottom drawer which I totally hate the pain decreased quite a bit , almost back to normal,
however I decided to invest into a better mouse and went out to do some research and came back home with the Logictech MX1100 cordless laser mouse..., the unit is sweet I like the functions and extra buttons and the look is kind of like a Ferrari lol however I found the mouse hard to operate with pecission tasks, I work lots on corel draw creating technical layouts I work with photoshop photo editing and also doing lots of stuff in 3dsmax, I need a precission pointing device this mouse just doesn't do it for me although I like the way it feels on your hand when you hold it..., what could be the problem with this mouse ??? the standard mouse I had been using is an optical cord mouse which is absolutely 100 % precise and does the job..., does the problem lays in the cordelss device ??? is the remote signal delayed ???
I am just confused I wanna get a better tool to do my job right and in efficent manner..., I should mention that the problem lays in precision selecting objects and moving them in slight increments, the mouse either skips or does not move in small increments.... btw the batteries are brand new and besides that the mouse works great...

Looking forward to any replies,

thanks !!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2009, 05:21 PM

Re: Logictech mx1100 Mouse

To the best of my knowledge arm pains are typically related to the fact that wrist is either unsupported or bent at an awkward angle when mouse is used. The usual remedy to the problem is setting up some kind of wrist support, I`ve seen mouse pads with wrist support.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2009, 09:52 PM

morph,

did you install and configure the software that came with the mouse or did you just let windows handle it?

also, the surface the mouse rides on makes a HUGE difference at times. generally, you want a very grainy surface, one with a LOT of dots and differences. the mouse hitting a smooth spot could account for your skips.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2009, 10:01 PM

Smile Re: Logictech mx1100 Mouse

Yes, like Craig was saying, you should download the software for your mouse. you can set the speed and a few other things to make it work like you want it to. You may have to try each setting to get it where you like it. Let us know how you come out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2009, 10:01 PM

I use a mouse pad with gel wrist support.

Question: Are you taking cholesterol lowering statins?

Last edited by aartist; 11-24-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2009, 11:56 AM
Patron

What Craig said. It's very important to have the latest version of the control software. And the surface you're mousing on is also critical. I have an MX1000 laser mouse, and it was bouncing all over the place on my wooden desk surface (smooth, wood grain, not particularly shiny). When I use it on a textured surface it is perfectly controllable, to the point where I could use it for retouching anything.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2009, 08:56 AM

Hello and thank you guys,

My problem is solved and I gotta say that this is by far the best mousie I've ever owned and yes the calibration was the problem solver, I had the driver and calibration software installed but haven't done any adjustments, I tweeked with was the sensitivity and turned it all up and now the mouse is as precise as I expected it to be...,
and good new is the pain in may hand / arm is almost completely gone, for future reference what made the difference is elevating my elbow position and lowering the hand position - actually placing my mouse on the drawer as oppose the desk top,
I am so happy now and right back motivated to more productive work....

thanks again to all of you guys , you've been very helpfull.

Cheers !!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2009, 11:33 PM

excellent! that's what we like to hear

i also elevate my elbow when mousing. i use a thick (about a 1/2 inch), yarn hotpad. yep, a hotpad. quite comfortable.

the trick with wrist pain and avoiding it is to keep the back of you hand parallel to your arm. a lot of folks type with a bend in their wrist and this is basically the problem. you're pinching blood vessels and nerves that way and it can lead to carpal tunnel and pain. keep the wrist unbent and you shld be fine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2009, 01:25 PM

Re: Logitech mx1100 Mouse

thanks Kraellin,

My hand is almost back to normal , it feels great today..,
I noticed the mouse pads with the front cushion block the blood circulation as well, since now I got may elbow elevated the bottom of my wrist does not need support at all, its a completely new experience though and I am gonna have to get used to it and it will take time I'm sure, but hey I wanna continue my job for at least another 40 years it's all worth it !!!

Cheers !
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2009, 09:19 PM

Re: Logitech mx1100 Mouse

Quote:
I noticed the mouse pads with the front cushion block the blood circulation as well, since now I got may elbow elevated the bottom of my wrist does not need support at all,
yup. you're doing it right. i dont like those wrist rests either for just the reason you mention.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware