RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Faster Faster...

Old 11-26-2009, 01:52 AM

Faster Faster...

Hi hi.

I'm running an 64 bit Mac pro with 8 cores, and 10gb ram. Cs4 & snow leopard.

I've added some speedier drives, but i'm wondering what i can do next, these changes have made a HUGE difference to performance, i want more!

I've got a 15,00rpm boot drive & I've stripe raided two 15,000 RPM drives, a 64 gb partition for Scratch, and the remainder for working drive. As the stripe raid is less secure, i backup hourly to Drobo... ace.

I've optimised my settings in PS and boot in 64 bit mode when i'm working on big jobs...

I've got Apple 30" monitor & a 20" tools monitor (rotated 90 degrees is the same height as 30"- both wall mounted, along with a well organised file system ... so i feel my workflow is good.

what is the next logical upgrade for me? what equipment, or upgrade do you most value??
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2009, 06:43 AM

Re: Faster Faster...

A glass of sherry to calm me down, when I want to go faster!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2009, 09:55 AM

hi,
1. hardware ...
don't most of us always want more speed speed... but you do reach a point of diminishing returns vs the money you put in .. spending 500 bucks to get
5-15% improvement maybe well worth it but spending 500 bucks for just a 1% improvement very difficult to notice.... ... see my point...

now i am not a mac user.. but i try to keep my hand in it... and there a lot of similarities between mac and wintell machine on improving speed...
and these my thoughts...

on the hard drives i assume those are sata 3.... and i assume you already have a nice fast graphic card... graphics card and lot of graphic ram can make a big difference..

as far as hardware.. the only thing i can think of at the moment is in the realm of external devices... your probably use firewire for those.... which is better than usb 2.0
However... intell is comming out with a new usb standard!! which beat the heck out of not just the usb 2.0 but also your firewire!! ... it looks like it will replace both!!!!! the only area where it may not is your external esata 3 hard drives ..... you should be hearing much more about in the comming weeks and start seeing external devices for usb 3.0 ... so you may want to do your own research and see if it usefull for you..

2. sofware...
you might look at tweaking your operating system... in many cases you can get a nice performance boost... we definitely do in the wintell world....
this link which i had bookmarked for apple... covers 50 tips on tweaking the the OS to improve performance...
http://www.macuser.com/troubleshooti...php?lsrc=murss

i hope the above info usefull.. good luck on squeezing alittle more performance out of your system....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucisson View Post
Hi hi.

I'm running an 64 bit Mac pro with 8 cores, and 10gb ram. Cs4 & snow leopard.

I've added some speedier drives, but i'm wondering what i can do next, these changes have made a HUGE difference to performance, i want more!

I've got a 15,00rpm boot drive & I've stripe raided two 15,000 RPM drives, a 64 gb partition for Scratch, and the remainder for working drive. As the stripe raid is less secure, i backup hourly to Drobo... ace.

I've optimised my settings in PS and boot in 64 bit mode when i'm working on big jobs...

I've got Apple 30" monitor & a 20" tools monitor (rotated 90 degrees is the same height as 30"- both wall mounted, along with a well organised file system ... so i feel my workflow is good.

what is the next logical upgrade for me? what equipment, or upgrade do you most value??
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2009, 03:23 PM

Have you tried painting "Go faster Stripes" down the side.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2009, 03:42 PM

Huge Ultra Turbo Video?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2009, 09:16 PM

have you looked at this thread?: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/har...kstations.html

you might also take a look at this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...lock,1186.html and do a search on google for 'ram harddrives'.

and i dont know if it's come to apple yet, but check out 'SLI' for video.

and within that other thread on RP, you'll find links to systems like this: http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews...54&tag=nl.e505

and this: http://www.nvidia.com/object/persona...computing.html

but again, those arent for apples
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2009, 07:40 AM

faster for what purpose? You already have the faster machine ever made and I think it's not used neither at 50% After Effects and 3D apps demans faster CPU's and a lot of RAM.

Open the Activity Monitor and check how are working those cores and hw much RAM is involved and you will see how much are you using your MacPro. Would be nice if you post here an screenshot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Patron

If SSD Drives were more reliable, that would help to eliminate the bottleneck, but I wouldn't get one at this time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2011, 05:09 PM

Just revisiting this... I'm now super happy with my setup... if anyone's interested, I'll let you know what i did...

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucisson View Post
Just revisiting this... I'm now super happy with my setup... if anyone's interested, I'll let you know what i did...

Yes please!

Also another resource for Mac performance is here:
http://macperformanceguide.com/index.html

--shift studio.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware