RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Opinion - Spyder 3 Pro

Old 12-04-2009, 01:09 AM

Opinion - Spyder 3 Pro

I've two LCD
1. Samsung SyncMaster 2233SW - 21.5"
2. Samsung SyncMaster 732NW - 17 "

when I preapre the retouches in 21.5" LCD and see on 17" both display different results, I send regulary some of my portrait photo jobs to the LAB for print, it also prints some different results. A lot of thread I read here and found that monitor calibration should be done, so finally planned to purchase the "DataColor Spyder 3 Pro".

Am I doing right ?

Ash
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 12:40 PM

Re: Opinion - Spyder 3 Pro

Yes, a color-managed workspace is definetly the way to go!

Before buying into the Datacolor Spyder3 Studio SR, I was pretty happy with my retouching results as I relied on color readouts in Photoshop Info pallete. I was content with the results being displayed by my monitor.

But… If you are pretty demanding about your results, and want to have absolute control over every subtle hue that may exist in your images, you really can’t go wrong with a monitor calibration device. Not only it helped me get more confident with my retouches by not wasting energy guestimating colors, but this also sped up my workflow. The device you're considering is the same one I use for my monitor and it delivers accurate results for my photography and pre-press work.

Regarding the printing jobs done by external labs, I think that they may usually have a different “vision” about our images and may think that they’re actually enhancing them. Of course there is also the ink-saving aspect of things.
I always deliver my images in the final stage, properly sharpened for the desired paper and size and (kindly) ask the person doing the job to print it “AS IT IS!”.

“The ink levels are fine, please don’t add more, I have every zone mapped just as I wanted it. No, the black level is just fine. No, I belive you should be able to print tiffs too.”

Mihai

Last edited by Mihai; 12-04-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 10:37 PM

Thank you, I'm going to purchase Spyder 3 pro, Spyder3 Studio SR is out of my budget. is it still worthy for me for high end retouching and print on LAB ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 10:47 PM

Yes, it is. The difference between what I have and the one you're considering is that I also have a device for printer calibration, a cube for using during shooting, especially under mixed light technique - never used it so far, and a pretty cool carrying case
The monitor calibration device is actually the same between the two packages and works great! Do take your time finetuning your monitor during calibration, the software is pretty self explanatory.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware