RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

What brand of computer do you use?

View Poll Results: What brand of computer do you use?
Apple 46 41.44%
HP/Compaq 7 6.31%
Dell 15 13.51%
Gateway 2 1.80%
IBM 0 0%
I built my own 34 30.63%
Other (please explain) 7 6.31%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2009, 07:46 PM

Re: What brand of computer do you use?

Hello everybody.
I always mount my good clone. First of all I must say I live in Venezuela and this is a great limitation talking about buy good expensive stuff. Our currency, the last couple of years went down and down. ¿Why spend money for a brand PC (exceptin the MACs, of course) if I can mount a solid PC? The brands use the same hardware you could buy on line market: Intel, Asus, Msi mobos, Intel or AMD processors, DDR2 or DDR3 Ram (brands never use the bests), nVidia or ATI GPUs an so on. You can upgrade you PC every year if you own a good mobo. No limitatons at all.
Evey year I invest some $400-500 US$ upgading my PC and that`s really nothing, 40 bucks per month.
Now I had upgraded the processor and the RAM memory. This clone really flyes and I`m happy to work with. No crashes, no BSOD, anything.
AMD Phenom II 720 x3 Black Edition 3.2Ghz (OCed 200x16)
MSI K9N2 sli Platinum mobo
4Gb Patriot Extreme Vipper PC2-6400-800Mhz 4-4-4-12-2T-2.1V DDR2 Ram
MSI nVidia 9600 GTS OC graphic card
x2 WDigital Caviar Black-Sata300-32Mb cache-750Gb/each HD
Plextor DVD-RW multiscribe etc
Xion Power Real 600W PS
19" (4:3) LG Fantasy monitor
22" (16:10) Siragon monitor
I`m happy with it.
Regards
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2009, 08:12 PM

Talking Re: What brand of computer do you use?

all very good reason for building a custom machine.
the last thing i like to add just for myself, is the time and effort and what not in building the machine is like when i work on my old 1985 toyota supra....there's a sense of personal connection and the fact it means something more to me, due to the effort that was put into it. (sourcing parts, comparing price)
although the things i can not do on my car or pc, i will take to a tech.
then again...maybe im just weird like that...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2009, 08:59 PM

I have an HP. The first I had was a Compaq back in 1999. I had it for 4 years. It was the best I think that I've ever had. Before I purchase this one I did consider purchasing a custom built one, but then the guy who built them has moved somewhere else--don't know where.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2009, 05:43 PM

My HP started giving me problems after 6 years, (served me very well) and rather than get it fixed and upgraded, I decided on a new machine. I chose Dell because I could get it a little cheaper with the configuration I wanted, although I was/am worried about their reliability issues lately. Initial setup went well, and I'm loving Windows 7! Also have a graphics card instead of the integrated-with-the motherboard one I had with HP - hopefully it will let me do more without PShop "grumbling". Have a fast processor and a lot of memory also to help PShop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2009, 12:25 AM

i'm also going to advise folks to start looking into 64 bit windows and motherboards (you need both for it to truly be 64 bit). the reason for this is both speed and memory availability. if you dont know what '64 bit' means, it's really very simple. a 'bit' is the smallest unit of digital data. 8 bits used to make a 'byte' or a 'digital word' so to speak. a bit would be sort of like a letter, but it's really just a placeholder and a byte is really just a placeholder for data also. the real bits and bytes are binary, the ones and zeros, the ons and offs, the there and not theres, the energy 'bit' and the lack of one. see, a computer is really still an analog beast. but that analog data is translated and spit out as digital. it's the arrangement into nice, neat ones and zeros that make it that we can more or less create human type data with it. so, you take 8 of these analog impulses and string them together and set up a bunch of rules and you get a byte, or an 8 bit word.

in the early days of personal computers all bytes were 8 bits long. as computers got better they went to 16 bit. now the 'word' was no longer 8 units long, it was 16. that made a lot more things possible and it made things faster. as we moved along the computer evolution they went to 32 bit. that's where we are, as home users, now, for the most part. but, 64 bit has been here for a while. it just hasnt taken off as fast as the others did. but, it shld. current windows memory is limited to about 3 gigabytes and that's if you get the patch from microsoft. otherwise, it's two. anyone working in photoshop with layers and high resolution files knows that your computer starts to get sluggish after a while and about the only thing you can do is to quit out of your application and start it up again. this tends to refresh the memory allocation and frees up a bit of memory from where you were using it up before. but, it really doesnt cure it. it just happens again after you've been working for a while.

so, 32 bit is limited. even with a large, hefty swap file/dedicated workspace, you're still using up ram and then drawing on the harddrive as ram. harddrive speed is extremely slower than ram, so, you start to get sluggish again. the solution is to get rid of the limitations of 32 bit by going 64 bit. i'm not even sure what the limits are for 64 bit but i know my motherboard has space for 12 gigabytes and can use it all.

but, there is one other caveat here. your applications also have to be written to take advantage of 64 bit. it doesnt mean your 32 bit application wont work on a 64 bit system, but it does mean it likely wont take full advantage of your 64 bit capabilities. the good news is, photoshop cs4 has a 64 bit version. i dont know about corel's paint shop pro. and i know we're trying to get folks like filter forge to make the move that way. i would encourage other software developers to do so as well. it only makes sense in the long run.

so, that's my recommendation for the day. i know it was a bit lengthy, but dont byte me for it
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2009, 07:22 AM

I agaree with Craig. More memory requires 64bit.

Remember the days when their were no graphics, just text.
My first computer was the Sinclair with 2k of memory.
Wow!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2010, 05:06 AM

Hello, I'm a Mac!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2010, 07:28 AM

Because of the software I now own, I sticking with windows. I've been looking at the labtops (Dell, HP, Sony, Lenovo, etc) and they all seem to be priced about the same (Sony a little more expensive) for less than $1000. Any option or reading regarding reliability? Do you recommend maintenance agreement.

After use due you turn your computer off, put it to sleep, or leave it on. I leave my on but I'm currently using a desktop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2010, 08:52 AM

Hello. I don`t think buying this and working graphical design with a cheap laptop/notebook (700-800 US$) is the best idea. A good one, with nvidia 9600-9800gt GPU, 4Gb ram ddr2 or ddr3, 2-2.2Gb processor worth 1500US$ more or less. The gamers ones are close to 2000 US$.
1. Shorter liftime. The heating is killing the notebooks wich could be forced to hard tasks. 4-5 years/life. A good desktop should double this easely.
2. Less possibility to upgrade. You must die with it as it is.
3. The big 17 inch display (I have one, HP dv9925nr) means more weight, 7 to 8 pounds + accessories. At least 10 pounds to carry.
4. If you really need this, could be for working something extra, when you`re not in your house. As I told you, I have one and use it in the afternoons, when I`m teaching.
Have you own conclusions.
Regards
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2010, 11:54 PM

skydog,

i have a lenovo laptop, albeit a cheapy. i dont recommend it. the only reason i got it was because when i was buying all the stores had was vista and i didnt want vista (pre-service pack one). the only one i could find with xp was the lenovo. they put their own software in pretty deeply and the bloody stuff nags me from time to time with 'important messages'. pheh! i also couldnt figure out how to get into bios even though their manual told me how. that was just odd. it also came with one of those built-in mini-cams which i immediately disabled. very low resolution and was eating resources. all in all, i dont much care for this laptop.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware