RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

What brand of computer do you use?

View Poll Results: What brand of computer do you use?
Apple 46 41.44%
HP/Compaq 7 6.31%
Dell 15 13.51%
Gateway 2 1.80%
IBM 0 0%
I built my own 34 30.63%
Other (please explain) 7 6.31%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2010, 06:37 AM

Re: What brand of computer do you use?

I was using different PCs with no brand name, just collection of different brands for many parts, then since 2008 i converted to Apple and i never look back, first i started with MacBook Pro 17" but it stopped working by 2009 [maybe in July or August], then i went to buy another MacBook Pro 13" new one, i took my old MBP 17" to USA to fix it but it was pricey same as in my country so i rejected to do so, i bought Mac Mini just after my old MBP 17" stopped working and since that i still using it until i hope to buy a Mac Pro, last month i bought a "HP" laptop for my wife which has Windows 7 Home edition, i updated one of my old PCs so i could use it again and i installed Windows 7 Ultimate on it and working like a charm and happy, so i will try with my another PC to fix it and install Windows 7 as well, it is really great version or windows ever i use since DOS and Windows 3.xx
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2010, 11:26 AM

guess apple will really be he favorite here.
anyway I've voted for Dell, mine is a latitude computer. works great to me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2010, 11:46 AM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

I was thinking about Apple and Adobe having their tiff over Flash, and how many people use Macs at Photoshop World (for instance). Guess those two better get it sorted out!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2010, 02:39 AM

I'm on a custom build. Usually we would build our own but a couple of years ago there was a good build on ebay for £300 which contained all I would have built into my own machine and without the having to source everything. I couldnt compete with the price when buying the whole thing but it was about the same as I would have spent if I had reused the case and drives on my older computer.
We have apple macs as well which are used alongside if I get busy enough to need it.
There are a couple of laptops here which are acer machines which can manage to run adobe and one that has linux and Gimp.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2010, 01:32 PM

I build my own, this link down may have some interesting links for those who want to build a PC for post processing.
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/har...tml#post264609
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2010, 02:31 AM

Hi, as a freelance and person who likes to travel I own just a Sony Vaio laptop with 17' screen with 4g ram. Quite expensive (1500 euros) but efficient and fast, a little bit heavy, yes. Now i'm getting an extra monitor to take at home, so when i'm not around I can work on a better screen.

The problem is that the battery longs 2 hours, with all the staff opened just 1.30 minutes. I'm thinking buing a new one woth 6-7 hours of autonomy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2010, 05:00 PM

I have two computers (one for home and a laptop for work). Both of them have "brand" names on the case; but both are custom configurations by my tech savvy husband, who has spent the last 35 years in the computer industry. In our home, we might go without a lot of things, but computer skills, hardware, and software are constantly evolving.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2010, 10:01 PM

I've always built my own till now. I'm running a VMWare host running 2 Windows 2008 servers as VMs and a desktop running Win 7 Ult x64 and a laptop also with Win 7 Utl x64. I have another desktop that I build running Redhat 5.2 that I keep my financial records on. All are Dell boxes. I didn't build the laptop. It's a Dell Studio 1747 with a 1080p 17.3 inch monitor and I LOVE it!! My desktop and server are Dell Opti 755's that I built myself. I bought the Dell case and Motherboard off ebay and added a powerful CPU and maxed out the RAM capacity on both boxes. I use the desktop for mainly photo processing and some video editing. Photoshop and Premier run extremely smooth and fast on my desktop and it's a joy to work with. I just received my laptop and I plan on using it for tethered shooting as well as on location photo touchups. These Dell boxes run EXTREMELY quiet and I'm thinking about building another one for use as a media center in my living room.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2010, 07:08 AM

I use Mac pro. Reason? OSX. I hate Windows. That's all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2010, 01:04 AM

I built my own i7 920 6gig ram 1terabyte + 64gig ssd 64bit windows7
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware