RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

What brand of computer do you use?

View Poll Results: What brand of computer do you use?
Apple 46 41.44%
HP/Compaq 7 6.31%
Dell 15 13.51%
Gateway 2 1.80%
IBM 0 0%
I built my own 34 30.63%
Other (please explain) 7 6.31%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Janitor

What brand of computer do you use?

Lots of OS discussions here, but I can't recall any about computer brands. What brand is your computer, and why did you buy that brand?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2009, 12:22 PM

Re: What brand of computer do you use?

I use a Compaq. In the early years of computing Compaq was a clone maker that had a solid reputation for quality rugged machines. They did have some proprietary issues though. Now that Compaq has merged with Hewlett-Packard it has become a mainstream affordable product.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2009, 03:17 PM

I have HP and was disappointed it did not upgrade without glitches.
HP said it was Microsoft's problem even though HP offered the
upgrade "KIT" through their website.

They made the Windows7 upgrade a selling point,
but refuse to address problems because of it. Not happy with
HP at this point.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2009, 03:52 PM

VPR Matrix, an old Best Buy Store Brand. It was inexpensive, had the features I wanted, and was easily upgradeable. It still plugs along, but I think it's about time to get a new one, so I'll be interested in what other people think about theirs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2009, 04:18 PM

I have a sony V10 desktop...to date working fine, but I really need an upgrade. I'd like an Apple for finalcut, but I have all this windows software investment (kinda like a lens) and I just don't want to deal with the conversions. I heard Apple can run in a windows environment but can some tell me how easy it is to move from one environment to another if you need to work in both?

If I stick to windows can someone recommend the current best processor for the money. Not looking for the top of the line, but anything I get now is better than what I have. I'd like to stay around $1000.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2009, 10:52 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Skydog, do you mean moving from one environment to the other on the same machine? Using Parallels, seamless.

I've got Win7, WinXP, Ubuntu and Kubuntu Linux all on the same computer, Linux mainly just because I can ;-). It's an easy, safe and painless way to experiment with other OS's while using OS-X as your main boot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2009, 05:10 AM

i just recently finished building my station, as it is to my liking with CS3 and CS4 programs. i find it rather enjoying to do so then to spend money on a pre-built one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2009, 05:12 AM

Talking Re: What brand of computer do you use?

skydog, i recommend anything quad core 2 as the processors are getting cheaper. ive heard that amd's tend to run a lil hot, but its a bit more affordable.
check www.microcenter.com and www.newegg.com. you can even try www.tigerdirect.com to just to compare prices!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2009, 01:47 AM

i almost always build my own and if i dont it's because of some emergency where i have to have a computer RIGHT NOW! or, like this time, i simply oversee the building of my computer. so, mine isnt any one brand. the mobo is Asus, the chip is intel, the vid card is nvidia, the dual terrabyte harddrives are western digital (in mirrored RAID) and the case and power supply are nvidia. so, mine is a hybrid. it's also completely 64 bit, including the motherboard and vista. i bought vista only because they promised a free upgrade to win7 when it came out... i'm still waiting, but they tell me they've now got it in the store and i can now get it.

there are pluses and minuses to building your own. one, you know what you're getting, completely. with off-the-shelf you may or may not know exactly what you're getting. there's no built-in software with build your own. retail often does have extra software already installed. there are generally no headaches in buying retail. building your own means installing windows yourself and that's almost guaranteed to be a headache. building your own means no onboard graphics card (this is a plus, in my opinion). most off the shelf models have onboard graphics and most of those tend to be rather cheap, fussy and unreliable. building your own and retail both come with warranties. however, building your own does not allow for 'extended warranty' options, which frankly i find offensive anyways building your own also usually means you'll know your system better than someone who always buys retail. this is only a very general thing but having to construct your own does tend to give you a little more working knowledge of things, including hardware and software experience.

so, all in all, i do tend to like to build my own, but, i also understand that some folks just dont want the hassle. it's not what they do. me, i just like to grouch about microsoft, so i build my own
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2009, 07:29 AM

I'm surprised at the number of custom builts in the voting. Off the shelf, non Apple, desktops are a bargain nowadays. But I do like knowing what's in them, as Craig says. I agree with him about the graphics card and wanting to grouch about microsoft!

There have been way too many hours spent trying to get Windows 7 upgrade to work on
HP's desktop using HP's very own upgrade "KIT" for this particular "new" model. Blue screen of death at the beginning, and I haven't seen that in years. Flashbacks to earlier releases of windows. By the time I get it ironed out, the machine will be more familiar to me. Sort of a forced familiarity.

I have had just enough of a taste of Apple's operating system to realize how much more stable it is. No registry and virus's are virtually unheard of. Now, if only their equipment was more moderately priced.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware