RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

nikon L100 or Kodak EasyShare Z915

Old 01-03-2010, 01:38 AM

nikon L100 or Kodak EasyShare Z915

I am looking for a camera one step below a DSLR because I can not afford one. I also do nto do much photo shooting and am just getting into it. I have no idea ISO setting meanings etc and want to learn. I take pics of my son and family at events etc. I want something easy but super nice quality that as I get more involved and grow with. I like the features of the NIKON but they say the pics turn grainy? also kodak easyshare i just have never used one.... I have a canon power shot SD600 that i have been using forever and want a new better camera. thanks so much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2010, 07:25 AM

Re: nikon L100 or Kodak EasyShare Z915

What is the maximum $ you are willing to spend?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2010, 07:29 AM

I want to spend About 200
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2010, 09:22 AM

You cannot get a camera one step below a DSLR for $200. One step below would be a Canon G11. At your price range, they are all point and shoots. I would stick with what you have and save the $$$.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash-5 View Post
You cannot get a camera one step below a DSLR for $200. One step below would be a Canon G11. At your price range, they are all point and shoots. I would stick with what you have and save the $$$.
Well there is another option open to you if you are happy enough to do away with the "D" in DSLR and get yourself a good ol' film SLR on which to play and learn. A good used SLR would be well within your budget and it will certainly teach you alot about photography ... although film/print processing can be a hassle. On the plus side, if/when you do decide to get yourself a DSLR if it has the same lens mount you may still be able to use your old lens/s with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
You cannot get a camera one step below a DSLR for $200.
this is true. you want a near-dslr or advanced compact. take a look at these. these are some of the better near-dslr's: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp . notice that the kodak listed there is better than the one you mentioned. the kodak listed there is a 24x optical, which is about as high as the near-dslr's get so far (it's also the one i'm probably going to buy next ).

near-dslr's have the disadvantage of having only one lens (in most cases). you arent seeing through the lens when using the viewfinder and the lens sizes tend to be a bit smaller than the dslr's, which usually means your shots will be a little more grainy.

but, they have the advantage of not having more than one lens (yes, that can be an advantage), they tend to be a bit smaller and lighter for easier use, they're cheaper and you can wear one on your belt in a pouch/case. you also wont need an accessories bag and have 16 lenses, gadgets and 'stuff' weighing you down.

you might also want to look into mini-cam-corders. there's a new sony that has 60x optical zoom and fits in the palm of your hand
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware