RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Which Monitor for Photo Editing 2010

Old 01-13-2010, 04:00 AM

Re: Which Monitor for Photo Editing 2010

Yeah, that was what I heard about the LED one. I will do a research... Just few minutes. Found it. The LED shows a little bit more colors: http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/review...ewid=2937&pn=5

Found this interesting stuff in Mac: The Cinema Display’s total color gamut — number of viewable colors — is perceptibly larger than that of the CRT. You can use the Cinema Display in normally-lit settings — not darkened rooms — with little reduction in the dynamic range of colors being displayed".

http://www.apple.com/pro/color/workflow/

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2010, 10:08 AM

I work on 23" Apple cinema displays at work all day, I recently purchased a new 24" Lacie monitor for home and I am sold on the Lacie. A couple reasons; (95% Adobe RGB / 99.7% of ISO Coated) This allows you to see and articulate details in dark areas. The Apple crunches detail and I also end up over saturating colors on the cinema display. Also the Apple displays have a pinkish hue cast unless you go for the 30 incher. If you are familiar with the Adobe 1998 color space there is no doubt you will be floored by the wide gamut Lacie display. If you ever plan on printing an image this is by far the best choice, because this way you will actually see everything that will be printed and it will take away any guess work. Man, I love my lacie! You can nab it from BnH for $865, solid. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...creen_LCD.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Patron

I only have heard good things about Lacie so I do envy you Joe, but broke I am. lol

Samsung Syncmasters suppose to be pretty good too, but I've never seen for myself either of these LCD displays.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2010, 09:54 PM

в кафешку поставил светодиодные панели по всему периметру все хорошо и качество и четкость только как теперь на них разною инфу рассылать ? ј то на всех одна и та же инфа.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2010, 03:25 AM

I ended up going with the NEC 2690WUXi2. This is an excellent panel and calibration is very easy to accomplish with the supplied software and colorimeter. I'm very happy with the purchase although the price was steep I believe I received what I paid for.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2010, 08:50 AM

The NEC SpectraView II line, with their software driving it and a supported instrument is IMHO the best bang for the buck for a calibrated display. Apple hasn’t built anything at all impressive in years. Eizo are excellent but far more expensive than NEC and I’ve yet to see anything that warrants the extra money. LaCie doesn’t make anything (they OEM parts from others).

The big deal about the NEC and Eizo are they are considered “smart monitor” that use high bit data in the panel (not the graphic system), along with software that controls the panel hardware to calibrate that hardware. It means you don’t have to be messing around pushing buttons on the OSD to get to a desired target calibration, the software talks to the display and controls it in a far more precise fashion. It means you can build multiple calibration targets and load them to update the calibration and the associated ICC profile. Consider soft proofing to a matt paper versus a glossy paper. Big difference in contrast ratio. With these smart monitors, you can build a calibration target of say TRC Gamma 2.2, 150cd/m2 (which matches your viewing booth), and a white point of D65 with a contrast ratio of 150:1. Now you want the same settings but for the glossy paper, you want a contrast ratio of 300:1. Build one of each, switch on the fly. The software updates the calibration based on the paper and adjusts the contrast ratio.

And if you don’t own a measuring instrument, the bundled price of one with the software is not only a bargain but if you end up with a wide gamut display, NEC has a special EyeOne Display-2 with filters in it mated for this panel. That’s the best instrument you can purchase for this unit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2010, 12:03 AM

Andrewrodney, did you test the new NEC PA series?
Looks like they are new УsweetФ.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
Andrewrodney, did you test the new NEC PA series?
Looks like they are new УsweetФ.
I have a preproduction unit. It is pretty sweet but small (well after working on a 3090). A 27Ф should follow shortly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2010, 09:33 AM

I am using a NEC MultiSync LCD3090WQXi, the color is really consistent across and up and down and viewing a linear greyscale across the whole screen shows little to no banding, the shadow detail is nice on it also, I also calibrate daily because of using a Remote Director Virtual Proofing system. We have had the Eizo's and I found them a bit sharper than the NEC but some had a pink cast down the left side (I think where the Power unit inside the monitor would be?) Apple monitors are ok, we had a couple for testing, but we found a lot of casting issues with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2010, 07:28 AM

i think by glossy they mean glass screen, not a typical matte screen
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware