RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hardware Computers, displays, tablets, scanners, cameras, printers, etc.

Which Monitor for Photo Editing 2010

Old 10-25-2010, 05:17 PM

Re: Which Monitor for Photo Editing 2010

I have spent some time working with the NEC MultiSync P221W & can report that the errors with NaViSet software were caused by DDC/CI failure. This was the fault of NVIDIA who, for some strange reason, have disabled this function on some of their newer graphics card driver releases. (I hope this won't be a problem when I upgrade to Win7).

The monitor itself has performed acceptably in a work situation, although I am left with a feeling that I only have part of the monitor I thought I was purchasing.

SpectraViewII is not available in the UK, so I have looked at the BasICColor Display 4 alternative & will test the trial version. As the NEC is on a KVM switch I would get stung by the licensing which is per machine!

Any advice on calibrating the P221W would be appreciated (I already have calibrated with the EyeOne Display2 & iMatch)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2010, 10:24 AM

Hi All,

I plan on buying two NEC PA241W-BK-SV, In the USA.

my question is there anyone running a dual NEC setup.

I have a Lenovo W701 ThinkPad, with a mini dock 2.0. Using Windows 7 Pro, NVIDA FX 3800M card, The outputs are: one Display port, one Dual-Link DVI-D, and one VGA I will not use the VGA port.

I was thinking of using Matrox TripleHead2Go DP Edition. If you have a dual NEC setup can you give details on your setup?

Any help on a dual NEC Display setup would be appreciated.

Thank You in advance.

I Started A new Thread with this Question for more Exposure to the question.

Last edited by Manuel_A; 11-15-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2010, 12:31 PM

I found the same monitors for about 550 here:http://www.edexdeals.com/StoreFront/...MONITOR-LCD-24
And was looking to buy one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2010, 01:09 PM

No idea if the ones you're seeing for $550 are from a reputable dealer, but they are refurbished models with only a 30 day warranty, from something that just looks like another cheesy online retailer. It's also the version without software or calibration puck. I'd at least attempt to find out if they are an authorized dealer. It could be a refurbished grey market. Some electronics like monitors vary by a huge margin depending on the country they're purchased in.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2010, 03:51 PM

I had the same questions about their authorization as a dealer so I emailed them with pretty much the same issues that you brought up. They informed me that they are indeed an authorized dealer with NEC. And in response to my question about the refurbishment of the products they told me they are "authorized service providers to perform work for Fujitsu, NEC, Toshiba, and Dell through our A+ certified technicians".
I looked up what it means to be A+ certified and it just means that they are certified as computer technicians. Thanks wikipedia :P http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompTIA
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2010, 04:16 PM

This is just me personally but I wouldn't ask the dealer themselves when we're talking about potentially small online retailers. Some of them from my own experience lie. I've investigated this upon seeing amazing pricing before. Just make sure you're comfortable with their terms. it says refurbished with 30 day warranty on your link at the bottom in small print. Display warranties can be an extreme pain in the ass regardless though. I'm mainly mentioning this because you're looking at buying a unit that was clearly returned once, with a very short period of replacement. I'd probably ask NEC if it's one of their dealers. As I said I don't trust many of these smaller ones with insanely low pricing. I know a couple retailers I've used before that price them pretty low, not not quite that low.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2010, 04:36 PM

I took your advice on emailing NEC about their partnership and hopefully I will get an answer about the authenticity of some of the website's statements. I will post back with the response I get from them. Maybe it is too good to be true
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2010, 04:48 PM

I've got an Apple 30" and Lacie, they're both good and I work mainly on the Apple monitor. It's clear super easy to calibrate and rarely seems to need it (e.g. when I recalibrate it there is very little shift).

If you have the big bucks to spend then try the Eizo's
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2010, 04:54 PM

Which Lacie model do you have?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2010, 05:25 PM

@partimezd55 I can't remember. Out of the office on the laptop. I'll check later and let you know!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Hardware